The Student Room Group

Will a HP laptop be okay for uni?

I have a HP laptop, I’m not sure of the model but it says it’s a ryzen 3 and Radeon if that means anything.
My cousin gave it to me as she got a new laptop and I can’t afford one myself. The battery life isn’t the best and it’s a little slow but it’s all I’ve got.
Do you think this will be okay for uni? If not, how long do you think it would take me to save for something better by putting aside student loan money that I don’t use (if I don’t drink and use the bare minimum on food)
Original post by Anonymous
I have a HP laptop, I’m not sure of the model but it says it’s a ryzen 3 and Radeon if that means anything.
My cousin gave it to me as she got a new laptop and I can’t afford one myself. The battery life isn’t the best and it’s a little slow but it’s all I’ve got.
Do you think this will be okay for uni? If not, how long do you think it would take me to save for something better by putting aside student loan money that I don’t use (if I don’t drink and use the bare minimum on food)

A.) You should not be using the Anon function for this.
B.) You've posted in a forum where you're not really going to get any expert help, so I'll tag @8472 to get this moved over to the technology and computers forum.
C.) Yes, should suffice if you're only doing the basic Microsoft Office tasks. However, if battery life is an issue when you're going to be note taking on your laptop then it's probably worth thinking about a new laptop.

If you'd like to get some recommendations for a new laptop, then you can fill out the form I've created. It can be found here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5000458
Well, as long as u do basic stuff, for example some typing, maybe a bit of basic photoshop, u will be fine, tho I wouldn't recommend doing hardcore gaming.
Do remember to wipe out that hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows to get rid of any viruses or bugs that ur cousin may have got in there.
Hope this helps
Does it have an SSD? Is the battery easy to swap?
Reply 4
Depends on what you'll be using your laptop for, personally I haven't had to rely on battery life too much. Most people still use pen and paper for taking notes anyway, and there will be computers available at the university campus. I hardly ever brought my laptop in to uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending