The Student Room Group

Dental Nurse Apprenticeship EPA

Due to COVID-19 City and Guilds have changed the way the End Point Assessment is done. It was meant to be an observation in practice and face to face discussion. Now its a project 2000 word essay and online discussion with the assessor. This format was done last year and previous years. Has anyone RDN done the EPA like this and have some advice as to which project to choose from and how to do it. I have like 0 support from my tutor and may just not do my EPA since I've already finished my portfolio and exams

Thanks-Gabz xxx:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello

I hope you are well during this difficult time, I also have been looking for information surrounding my C&G EPA albeit for a different course (Professional cookery at Westminster Kingsway College) It strikes me that apprentices have been given little detail on their EPA's or even if they are taking place at all.
I can relate to the fact that you have had no help from your tutor as many of us doing apprenticeships have had similar issues.
I see that they have adapted your course to fit a shorter time frame, Alas C&G have told us they may have to do our EPA in September meaning anyone applying to University after would potentially be forced to defer entry until September 2021, rather unfair I am sure you would agree.

As a result I am actually drafting a letter to City and Guilds to ask for more clarification surrounding our EPA's as we haven't been provided much.

So with that in mind, Can I ask you what information C&G have provided you about changes to your EPA? just to get a sense of what C&G are expecting of apprentices on other courses.

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated, Apologies that I couldn't answer your initial question.

Many thanks
Christopher:smile:
Reply 2
Heya,

I'm not sure how much you know but our year was meant to be doing an observation and then a discussion. However due to COVID-19, it can not be done face to face, they have kept the discussion part of it which may be online but the observation will now be an essay. W have been given 5 dental nursing topics and we have to choose 1.

That's all that I know at the moment
Hopefully, that helps
Reply 3
Original post by Gabbiiexox
Due to COVID-19 City and Guilds have changed the way the End Point Assessment is done. It was meant to be an observation in practice and face to face discussion. Now its a project 2000 word essay and online discussion with the assessor. This format was done last year and previous years. Has anyone RDN done the EPA like this and have some advice as to which project to choose from and how to do it. I have like 0 support from my tutor and may just not do my EPA since I've already finished my portfolio and exams

Thanks-Gabz xxx:smile:

Hey, did you do your EPA? How did it go?? I have mine coming up in about a month time with C&G and I have no idea what to expect. It should have been an observation in surgery and then professional discussion but not sure if this has changed like yours due to covid. Can you give me some tips? Thanks xx
Reply 4
Hi,I have just had mine and failed. I struggle with anxiety, stutter and panic attacks when placed in such a position.
I have my C&G certificate and my GDC number and my employer is more than happy with my high standards of work.
This is an inordinate amount of unnecessary stress and pressure placed on students when they have already qualified. So I'm confused as to why this needs to be done. I could understand if there where questions over your course work or your tutor or employer had raised concerns prior to giving you your certification.
I have been given NO support from my training provider rather pushed in EPA for them to tie it up with a nice bow.
Can we decline to do it?
What happens if we don't?
I have no idea what happens now.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Awh bless you. I did mine last week and waiting to hear back. The only difference it makes for you is that on your educational history it will say fail for your apprenticeship and your college or course provider won’t get the funding for your training
But you’ll still be a registered dental nurse so it is kinda pointless
Don’t stress out about it. It’s not worth it🥰
Reply 6
Original post by Melloola
Hi,I have just had mine and failed. I struggle with anxiety, stutter and panic attacks when placed in such a position.
I have my C&G certificate and my GDC number and my employer is more than happy with my high standards of work.
This is an inordinate amount of unnecessary stress and pressure placed on students when they have already qualified. So I'm confused as to why this needs to be done. I could understand if there where questions over your course work or your tutor or employer had raised concerns prior to giving you your certification.
I have been given NO support from my training provider rather pushed in EPA for them to tie it up with a nice bow.
Can we decline to do it?
What happens if we don't?
I have no idea what happens now.

Ahhh no, sorry to hear that! Are you retaking it ? So you’re no longer a trainee and can register with the gdc? My tutor told me told get my gdc number and to register I have to pass the C&G epa. It’s so much pressure and everyone I’ve spoke to says it’s awful
Reply 7
That’s a lie. They say that so they get the funding. I had all my certificates before doing my EPA and I got an email from the GDC today saying I’m now registered I did the EPA but haven’t had my results yet. I’m not doing it again if I’ve failed tho 😂
Reply 8
That’s a lie. They say that so they get the funding. I had all my certificates before doing my EPA and I got an email from the GDC today saying I’m now registered I did the EPA but haven’t had my results yet. I’m not doing it again if I’ve failed tho 😂

No way!! I’ve passed all my exams my work is just going through EQA. I got an email from my training provider saying that my certificates will be sent to me in couple of weeks. So what’s really the point of epa then If your able to register on the gdc without your results 😂 thats relief hearing that tho
Reply 9
Original post by Teriann
No way!! I’ve passed all my exams my work is just going through EQA. I got an email from my training provider saying that my certificates will be sent to me in couple of weeks. So what’s really the point of epa then If your able to register on the gdc without your results 😂 thats relief hearing that tho

Yeh do not pressurise yourself. It’s not the end of the world if you fail. You’re still a registered dental nurse🥰
I am due to sit my EPA for dental nursing soon. Any advice?
Reply 11
Just be yourself. They asked me a whole range of questions. From ‘what’s it like working at your practice’ to ‘how can smoking cause gum diease’ I didn’t really revise or go over anything as I knew it doesn’t affect anything. I passed. Don’t stress over it. You already have the knowledge of you’ve completed your workbooks and exams
Wait what? So this EPA does not affect me getting my Dental Nurse qualification? I’ve not had any contact with my assessor for the last 4 months to be then told she’s left then all of a sudden I’ve been given a new assessor and told I have to do this EPA thing in the next few weeks (my previous assessor never mentioned it). My new assessor said if I fail then I fail the entire course and will lose my job? Obviously very anxious. My coursework was all completed and submitted a few months ago now, do I get a certificate for that? How do I get onto the Dental Nursing register without the certificate from my course? I’m so confused so any info is appreciated haha. Thanks!
Can someone elaborate on this?? I’m so confused too! Due to have my EPA on Wednesday!!!!!
Awh bless you. I did mine last week and waiting to hear back. The only difference it makes for you is that on your educational history it will say fail for your apprenticeship and your college or course provider won’t get the funding for your training
But you’ll still be a registered dental nurse so it is kinda pointless
Don’t stress out about it. It’s not worth it🥰

Do you mind asking which company you were training with?
Original post by Dnursechloe
Can someone elaborate on this?? I’m so confused too! Due to have my EPA on Wednesday!!!!!

How did it go???
Original post by Megan marie
How did it go???

Yes was actually super relaxed! Passed with a distinction!!!!
Original post by Dnursechloe
Yes was actually super relaxed! Passed with a distinction!!!!

Amazing congrats and well done!!!
HiI have my epa to do and I have chosen cross infection has anybody else done this and could maybe help me???? idk where to start :frown:
I have my EPA at 10... so in an hour almost and I'm coming on student room now :

Quick Reply

Latest