The Student Room Group

Weird Early Years Apprenticeship Interview

Hi,

So I went to a level 3 early years interview at a nursery. I've been looking at apprenticeships for months and all the info I was told at this interview was different to what I've learned from the institute of apprenticeships and general online info about apprenticeships.
When I got there they gave me a tour, but any room that had staff or kids in, they said oh we can't go in there because people are in there (whereas other places I've been there for a few hours playing with the children and talking to other staff). I found that a bit odd - as did another nursery I went to later and told them about it (I was curious if it was a safeguarding issue but they said it was strange).

They also only asked me 2 questions in the interview - why I was interested in childcare and what I knew about apprenticeships. I thought I knew quite a bit about apprenticeships but they basically said the one that they offer is the opposite of what I knew. So from my info, I thought you had to complete the apprenticeship to get the qualification and had to go through and pass the EPA (End-point assessment). This place told me they don't do an EPA and places that do that are pointless because you would have the qualification without needing to do or pass the EPA. They also said this level 3 was a maximum of 12 months (I thought it was a minimum and it was quite unheard of to me that a level 3 takes 12 months total). I asked a lot more questions than they asked me and from previous interviews, they made notes whilst I was talking and had questions on - but this place didn't have anything - made no notes and only 2 questions. It felt strange.

A different nursery told me you do have to do and pass the EPA in order to get the qualification (which is what I had thought). So I'm a bit confused.

I got invited to a trial but I'm not sure whether to go for it or not as I wasn't sure how legit it was? How accurate is the info they gave me as I feel a bit more confused about apprenticeships now?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by moonstarlight98
Hi,

So I went to a level 3 early years interview at a nursery. I've been looking at apprenticeships for months and all the info I was told at this interview was different to what I've learned from the institute of apprenticeships and general online info about apprenticeships.
When I got there they gave me a tour, but any room that had staff or kids in, they said oh we can't go in there because people are in there (whereas other places I've been there for a few hours playing with the children and talking to other staff). I found that a bit odd - as did another nursery I went to later and told them about it (I was curious if it was a safeguarding issue but they said it was strange).

They also only asked me 2 questions in the interview - why I was interested in childcare and what I knew about apprenticeships. I thought I knew quite a bit about apprenticeships but they basically said the one that they offer is the opposite of what I knew. So from my info, I thought you had to complete the apprenticeship to get the qualification and had to go through and pass the EPA (End-point assessment). This place told me they don't do an EPA and places that do that are pointless because you would have the qualification without needing to do or pass the EPA. They also said this level 3 was a maximum of 12 months (I thought it was a minimum and it was quite unheard of to me that a level 3 takes 12 months total). I asked a lot more questions than they asked me and from previous interviews, they made notes whilst I was talking and had questions on - but this place didn't have anything - made no notes and only 2 questions. It felt strange.

A different nursery told me you do have to do and pass the EPA in order to get the qualification (which is what I had thought). So I'm a bit confused.

I got invited to a trial but I'm not sure whether to go for it or not as I wasn't sure how legit it was? How accurate is the info they gave me as I feel a bit more confused about apprenticeships now?

Thanks!

The place seems really sketchy, you're not wrong about that.

However, you do not need to complete the EPA to get the qualification. If you don't complete the EPA or you fail it, you would not have completed the apprenticeship but you are still awarded whatever qualification you got through college/uni.

There is something fishy about this situation, and I feel like this place might not actually be offering a legitimate apprenticeship as much as looking for cheap labour.
So what’s the point of the EPA if you’re still awarded the qualification? Will future employers know that you didn’t complete if you still have a certificate to show them? Just wondering this as I’m confused
EPA’s for my course (teaching assistant) are essential, but it’s my understanding that they are for any apprenticeship. They may not have brought you into rooms for safeguarding reasons but that’s uncommon under direct supervision. Level 3s are usually eighteen months plus three months for EPA so twenty one months. The only reason otherwise would may be for level 2, but I don’t know. Based on what you’ve said, I agree it may not be legitimate.

Local FE colleges and your local council can help you find apprentice employers if they are your training provider.
Original post by Sammywork1
So what’s the point of the EPA if you’re still awarded the qualification? Will future employers know that you didn’t complete if you still have a certificate to show them? Just wondering this as I’m confused

Part of the EPA is standardly used for feedback to the training provider. The other half is for a period of working as a fully qualified member of staff and is the period where you would undertake observations and professional discussions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending