The Student Room Group

Dental Nursing

Hiya, I am currently a year 12 student who is interested in an apprenticeship in Dental Nursing but am unsure of what it would be like. If there are any dental nurses out there who are doing an apprenticeship, please could you give some advice on what to expect?
Would it also be possible to progress from dental nursing to dental hygiene and therapy without science alevels?
Thank you!
Original post by Thahani H
Hiya, I am currently a year 12 student who is interested in an apprenticeship in Dental Nursing but am unsure of what it would be like. If there are any dental nurses out there who are doing an apprenticeship, please could you give some advice on what to expect?
Would it also be possible to progress from dental nursing to dental hygiene and therapy without science alevels?
Thank you!

@Dentaldreams could help :smile:
Original post by Thahani H
Thank you!

Hey! I’ve done a dental nursing apprenticeship recently and been offered a place for dental hygiene and therapy this year. I really enjoyed my apprenticeship and think it’s a good way to gain experience and see if you like the dental field before furthering into hygiene. It’s a lot of work but as you’re doing it daily the coursework should seem easy enough! You could always try and do a day or two of work experience to see if you think you’d like it before applying? I know most unis like you to have an a-level in science, I didn’t have this so I complete an access to HE to gain the entry requirements. Hope this is some help!😊
Reply 3
Original post by Nicolem99
Hey! I’ve done a dental nursing apprenticeship recently and been offered a place for dental hygiene and therapy this year. I really enjoyed my apprenticeship and think it’s a good way to gain experience and see if you like the dental field before furthering into hygiene. It’s a lot of work but as you’re doing it daily the coursework should seem easy enough! You could always try and do a day or two of work experience to see if you think you’d like it before applying? I know most unis like you to have an a-level in science, I didn’t have this so I complete an access to HE to gain the entry requirements. Hope this is some help!😊

Hi could you please tell me what you actually did? I am so interested in dental hygiene and therapy and I was wondering how you did access to HL and what university did you get in to
@Kasoheva
Hi, I teach on an Access to HE program. I can confirm that there are some great Access to Dentistry programs out there, however they are less common than say Access to Nursing/Midwifery as they are more expensive for colleges to put on, and also there are less places at University than Nursing so this can impact progression rates. It's worth speaking to the course co-ordinator for Access at your local FE college

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 5
Original post by Nicolem99

Hiya, would you be able to tell me what you found hardest doing dental nursing and any advice you have? I start in 2 weeks 😵*💫
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest