The Student Room Group

Virgin media won't do anything about my internet being attacked

For the past few days my internet has been getting attacked, I've reported it & it was nothing but a waste of time. An engineer came out, I explained the problem and he stated it wasn't possible as my IP is static and it's because I've probably downloaded something to which I haven't, I know for a fact my internet is being attacked because the person from the gaming community I belong to even admitted it. I've been booted in the past so I really don't know what the heck the engineer was going on about but he obviously doesn't know his stuff because you can boot a router that's static as it's happened to me before and is happening to me currently.

I had this problem a few years back & Virgin media once again acted as if a router can't be booted so I really don't know what to do? I've reported the problem and they keep chucking at me that I've downloaded a virus that's blocking my connection which isn't the case at all. I really don't know why they don't want to acknowledge the actual problem, I am stuck on what to do. I live at home and because of the stupid engineer my family is now blaming me for downloading stuff, I've explained to them and it's just getting exhausting and upsetting for me, nobody wants to believe me. I am the victim in this but am being treated like a piece of **** by everyone.

The thick engineer told me to do a factory reset of my computer, and although I knew it wouldn't solve anything I did it as I didn't have the energy to do anymore debating, to which still hasn't fixed the problem because yes as I keep on telling everyone, my router is getting attacked by a DDOS attack. All I need is a new IP, to which they don't want to give me, I am beyond angry with Virgin media, what a load of crap their company is.

I've tried every way possible to change my IP from switching my router off to more technical ways and nothing works. What should I do, go to the police? because Virgin media clearly isn't going to do **** all about it, and it might get my family to shut the **** up pushing the blame on me if I am willing to go to the police. Advice?

Are other internet providers this crappy? because my friends online, they tell me they can get an IP change just by simply ringing up, but with me it seems like a whole mission.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Newaccount572
For the past few days my internet has been getting attacked, I've reported it & it was nothing but a waste of time. An engineer came out, I explained the problem and he stated it wasn't possible as my IP is static and it's because I've probably downloaded something to which I haven't, I know for a fact my internet is being attacked because the person from the gaming community I belong to even admitted it. I've been booted in the past so I really don't know what the heck the engineer was going on about but he obviously doesn't know his stuff because you can boot a router that's static as it's happened to me before and is happening to me currently.

I had this problem a few years back & Virgin media once again acted as if a router can't be booted so I really don't know what to do? I've reported the problem and they keep chucking at me that I've downloaded a virus that's blocking my connection which isn't the case at all. I really don't know why they don't want to acknowledge the actual problem, I am stuck on what to do. I live at home and because of the stupid engineer my family is now blaming me for downloading stuff, I've explained to them and it's just getting exhuasting and upsetting for me, nobody wants to believe me.

The thick engineer told me to do a factory reset of my computer, and although I knew it wouldn't solve anything I did it as I didn't have the energy to do anymore debating, to which still hasn't fixed the problem because yes as I keep on telling everyone, my router is getting attacked by a DDOS attack. All I need is a new IP, to which they don't want to give me, I am beyond angry with Virgin media, what a load of crap their company is.

I've tried every way possible to change my IP from switching my router off to more technical ways and nothing works. What should I do, go to the police? because Virgin media clearly isn't going to do **** all about it, and it might get my family to shut the **** up pushing the blame on me if I am willing to go to the police. Advice?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/denial-of-service-attacks

That site is telling me to report it, something I've already done? They point blank refused to believe I am under a ddos attack, even went as far as to say you can't ddos a router which isn't true...

Do you know if other ISP's are better because it seems to me they feel they don't have to fix the problem / do anything about it.
Reply 3

I had this problem a few years back & Virgin media once again acted as if a router can't be booted so I really don't know what to do? I've reported the problem and they keep chucking at me that I've downloaded a virus that's blocking my connection which isn't the case at all. I really don't know why they don't want to acknowledge the actual problem, I am stuck on what to do. I live at home and because of the stupid engineer my family is now blaming me for downloading stuff, I've explained to them and it's just getting exhausting and upsetting for me, nobody wants to believe me. I am the victim in this but am being treated like a piece of **** by everyone.

Are other internet providers this crappy? because my friends online, they tell me they can get an IP change just by simply ringing up, but with me it seems like a whole mission.

Switch to modem only mode and use a VPN. Problem solved.
Original post by IWMTom
Switch to modem only mode and use a VPN. Problem solved.

Okay I've switched to modem only, what will that do exactly?
Reply 5
Okay I've switched to modem only, what will that do exactly?

You now have a different IP address, congratulations.

Be aware, you can only use one Ethernet port whilst in modem only mode, and WiFi is disabled.
Original post by IWMTom
You now have a different IP address, congratulations.

Be aware, you can only use one Ethernet port whilst in modem only mode, and WiFi is disabled.

No new ip :/

You don't have to worry about your privacy anymore, no matter who is your ISP and what he is doing, you can get any service without any danger if and only if you have a secure VPN service along with it.
So get a good VPN, like I use PureVPN for many purposes which help me in maintaining my security and privacy while online, and it also helps me in masking my IP.
Most importantly by using VPN, your ISP will never be able to trace your activities, and yes can avoid DDos attacks too with that.
Reply 8
I'd switch to sky or something if they're not doing anything about it, and then avoid leaking your IP address to anyone again so it doesn't happen again
Reply 9
what games/platforms are you playing that you keep getting ddos attacked?

I will make a note to avoid them.

You need to ask them for a dynamic IP address. Static IP is your problem.
Reply 11
Virgin media are a extremely bad company.
Really crap.
I got rid of them.
Original post by RoyalSheepy

Virgin Media do use dynamic IP addresses, buy their "dynamic" IP addresses remain the same for ages. My IP remained the same for many months/years; it has only changed twice in the space of 7 years.

@Newaccount572 you might want to use some other sort of internet connection - such as using 4G tethering from a mobile phone (if you have a decent data allowance), or switch to another provider e.g. Sky or Talktalk. I would also follow the advice of others with a VPN.

Original post by Jacinlj
Virgin media are a extremely bad company.
Really crap.
I got rid of them.

Agreed. They're easy to dish complaints out (I once got a rather nasty letter for something that was mostly carried out on a shared IP address, which didn't even belong to them - and when they did, they banned the IP address of the shared IP that wasn't theirs) but as for resolving complaints you're making, well that's another story. Ever since they upgraded us from 30Mbps to 75Mbps, my speed has only average about 40Mbps (sometimes much worse), and trying to get that resolved was a right pain (they even sent us a new router)...
Original post by spotify95
Virgin Media do use dynamic IP addresses, buy their "dynamic" IP addresses remain the same for ages. My IP remained the same for many months/years; it has only changed twice in the space of 7 years.

OP says they've been told they have a static address. (Although I have a feeling OP meant to say 'not a static address')

Strange, I suppose it is up to their DHCP server and the way they've configured the lease to decide when it changes. I've never been with Virgin Media, so I can't speak for them.
Reply 14
Your first problem is being with Virgin Media.
Original post by Xarao
Your first problem is being with Virgin Media.

rather virgin than BT, they're an absolute nightmare! (took them over 6 weeks after we'd moved in to put a line in our new house despite months notice, while virgin had it pretty much setup for the new owners before we even left the old house)

Original post by ANM775
what games/platforms are you playing that you keep getting ddos attacked?

I will make a note to avoid them.

you'll find these sort of people anywhere (though probably more common in competitive games which attract a young/toxic crowd) - it's an issue with the community rather than the game itself. usually it's just kids who take themselves a bit too seriously.
Reply 16

OP says they've been told they have a static address. (Although I have a feeling OP meant to say 'not a static address')

Strange, I suppose it is up to their DHCP server and the way they've configured the lease to decide when it changes. I've never been with Virgin Media, so I can't speak for them.

They are dynamic, but the lease doesn't expire unless the modem is offline at expiry time.

Even if it expires, it will be assigned straight back if it hasn't been reallocated from the pool.
Original post by IWMTom
They are dynamic, but the lease doesn't expire unless the modem is offline at expiry time.

Even if it expires, it will be assigned straight back if it hasn't been reallocated from the pool.

I think you might be nitpicking here Tom...
Reply 18
I think you might be nitpicking here Tom...

Just explaining how VM does things pal - it's a little different to what you would expect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending