The Student Room Group

Wat are the current and future prospects of career in pharmacy??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I swear reading these posts from people have made me question wheather itm is worth it to study 4 yrs on a solid degree, learning vast amounts for only a job prospects and outlook to lok glim in the future. I dont care wat any1 says the salary for the pharmacists do is crap, they should be paid more and make them feel more vauled. im acutally thinking to change profession b4 it is too l8:mad: :frown:
don't be so foolish man, just because a few people say it doesn't mean anything. Have we not spoken of us salaries:biggrin:
Reply 23
dr junior
I swear reading these posts from people have made me question wheather itm is worth it to study 4 yrs on a solid degree, learning vast amounts for only a job prospects and outlook to lok glim in the future. I dont care wat any1 says the salary for the pharmacists do is crap, they should be paid more and make them feel more vauled. im acutally thinking to change profession b4 it is too l8:mad: :frown:

Ifs and buts...this legislation malarky is not for certain and until it is I don't see any point in worrying. There are plenty of jobs for pharmacists at the moment and I have not yet seen any proof to say otherwise.

Secondly the pay is good in the UK but I agree it could be better and may become better by the time you are a pharmacist. Also the pay is even better in the USA and Canada.

So are you going to base the reason why you are not going to go for pharmacy on a whole load of rumours? If so then its your loss.

P.S. Anyway who says that after pharmacy you can't apply for medicine or dentistry - every university accepted pharmacy as a good enough degree to apply to for medicine and dentistry. And the great thing is unlike biomed and other biology/chemistry degree graduates, you can earn money for grad. entry medicine(or dentistry) through locum work and also during your 1 year of pre-reg.
Couldn't agree more, the RS thing hasn't even come in yet and it's been talked about like hell.
Reply 25
sry to go off like that i was just getting worried. these posts can be really good help at times however can equally be bad :frown:
mate, you have to realise that this a small proportion of pharmacists giving their views. I know pharmacists who love their jobs. As I have said, if you are that worried, get into industry and you are sorted!
Reply 28
Errrm what exactly IS remote supervision and how will it affect pharmacists? Sorry for being dense :o:
Reply 29

I just been on this site and it actually confirms myu worries, saying many pharmacists believed this carreer was going no where and felt undervalued etc

http://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/...Related=450870

http://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/...Related=450860

http://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/...Related=429653

It's 9-5 and quite well paid. You won't become rich but at least you'll be well-off.

Getting into industry is hard. Like I mentioned before, even if you do get a job it will most definitely be a rep/salesman role.

Couldn't agree more, the RS thing hasn't even come in yet and it's been talked about like hell.

I wasn't worried until the RPSGB started representing pharmacy technicians.

Errrm what exactly IS remote supervision and how will it affect pharmacists? Sorry for being dense

The reason why pharmacists are paid well is because a pharmacy by law require at least one pharmacist to run. Remote supervision means that our physical presence is not required and script checks can be handled by ACTs (accredited checking technicians), which are much cheaper to harbour and do not have to undergo the same amount of study/training we went through. Pharmacies like Boots or Lloyds only cares about profits - They want FEWER pharmacists. This is why the NPA (think of a coalition of multiples - Boots, Lloyds etc.) is all for the prospect of remote supervision.

The new pharmacy contracts gave pharmacists more services to be engaged than before but at the moment prescription scripts are still the main source of income for a pharmacy.
What I don't get is will pharmacists go to surgeries to do the clinical observations or direct to patients homes?

What do you mean representing technicians?

As for industry, you can become a qp so how come you say only salesman?
bexi_90
Errrm what exactly IS remote supervision and how will it affect pharmacists? Sorry for being dense :o:

The remote supervision stuff plays with the newly released responsible pharmacist legislation. The responsible pharmacist allows certain tasks to be undertaken by the pharmacy staff when the pharmacist is not there - but the pharmacist is still counted as being responsible for all activities within the pharmacy.

Remote supervision will develop the role of the pharmacist when they are allowed to be absent from the pharmacy (as described within the responsible pharmacist). Remote supervision will allow pharmacists to do things that normally require them to be there, which may even include the clinical checking of a prescription.

Remote supervision is even more hotly debated than the responsible pharmacist ever was.
Reply 32
Oh right thanks for the info ! =)
I think the only problem with RS is the fact you are liable IF a mistake is made.
Can I just make a point about pay:

According to the rpsgb site, the AVERAGE pharmacist makes 37k which is less than a dentist and gp but more than a nurse and optomist. If that is the avg pay, imagine what you can earn as a pharmacist who is flexible.
Reply 35
if that is avergae wage after 2 years experiance as a pharmacist, then im damn happy about doing pharmacy. People have been saying the wage is lower like in the twenty thouhsands which is what got me worried. tnks for the info. hope by the time i finnish my degree in 4 yrs time (2012) which is when london olyumpics is the wage is increased or same and job prospects is good. Then ill enjoy getting graduated and enjoy the olympics : )
dr junior
if that is avergae wage after 2 years experiance as a pharmacist, then im damn happy about doing pharmacy. People have been saying the wage is lower like in the twenty thouhsands which is what got me worried. tnks for the info. hope by the time i finnish my degree in 4 yrs time (2012) which is when london olyumpics is the wage is increased or same and job prospects is good. Then ill enjoy getting graduated and enjoy the olympics : )

lol in prereg the contract is for 18k to 20k.

After you register, I am 100% sure most people get job offers in the range of 30k-40k.
Reply 37
u know somethin ive got sick of askin everone wat da hell the term PiP stands for in pharmacy and got to the point am gonna ask again ,,,,,,,
why is there no helpful ppl out there any more camoon:mad: :mad:

(u ll make my day )
when i tell people i want to do pharmacy many people's first response is that there's good money in it
you just have to get into the right field and need the experience
Reply 39
I am a UK qualified Pharmacist and I have recently moved to Canada. UK wages will only go one way- down. Look at websites for the major retail employers in the UK and you will see how few vacancies there are. Add to that an additional 11 schools of pharmacy, the increased intake per Pharmacy school and the picture does not look good. I would strongly recommend anyone reading this post NOT to study Pharmacy. You will not be earning more than 40k per annum with experience. Starting salaries from what I have heard are as low as £15 per hour in some places. A qualified ACT will earn £9-10 at least with no degree qualification or debts that go with studying. You cannot open a new Pharmacy and trying to buy an existing business is futile as supply is out stripped by demand. Choose a different career before you Waste more years of your life !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending