The Student Room Group

Email question - phishing scam or hacked ?

Hi,

I got a phishing email into my inbox. Strange thing is that this is the second one I'm seeing that awkwardly has the sender email address as my own email address. So, my email address (receipient) is :eek:same:eek: as the sender email address for the phishing email that's come into my inbox. It's the second one. Does this mean my email account is hacked or what ??? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Anonymous370
Hi,

I got a phishing email into my inbox. Strange thing is that this is the second one I'm seeing that awkwardly has the sender email address as my own email address. So, my email address (receipient) is :eek:same:eek: as the sender email address for the phishing email that's come into my inbox. It's the second one. Does this mean my email account is hacked or what ??? Thanks :smile:

it's very easy to make an e-mail appear to come from someone else, even from the recipient.
in outlook click on view headers for more information.
other mail systems will have similar features.
note: there is a huge rise in phishing and blackmail e-mails at the moment.
NEVER reply or click any link unless you are certain the source is safe.
Original post by CambridgeMum
it's very easy to make an e-mail appear to come from someone else, even from the recipient.
in outlook click on view headers for more information.
other mail systems will have similar features.
note: there is a huge rise in phishing and blackmail e-mails at the moment.
NEVER reply or click any link unless you are certain the source is safe.

well, i normally check on sender email address and it reveals it (whilst the sender name appears ok). But this is the second email where sender email address = MY email address.
Hmmm, how do I do that on an iPad ? I've got the standard Mail app and Outlook for iOS app on it.
I see, but it's in such a cunning, strange, surprising, worrying way to see my own email address if you see what I mean...
Hi,

The most likely case is that they have spoofed you. Have a look at this link. This is called 'From Spoofing' and is quite common in most phishing scams. Most of the time they don't pretend to be you, but instead someone you trust.

- https://askleo.com/from_spoofing_how_spammers_send_email_that_looks_like_it_came_from_you/
well, i normally check on sender email address and it reveals it (whilst the sender name appears ok). But this is the second email where sender email address = MY email address.
Hmmm, how do I do that on an iPad ? I've got the standard Mail app and Outlook for iOS app on it.
I see, but it's in such a cunning, strange, surprising, worrying way to see my own email address if you see what I mean...

There should be nothing to worry about. Take a look at the link I sent you above. However, if you are worried it's always best to change your password but you should be fine.
Original post by Capitalist_Lamb
The most likely case is that they have spoofed you. Have a look at this link. This is called 'From Spoofing' and is quite common in most phishing scams. Most of the time they don't pretend to be you, but instead someone you trust.

- https://askleo.com/from_spoofing_how_spammers_send_email_that_looks_like_it_came_from_you/

Original post by Capitalist_Lamb
There should be nothing to worry about. Take a look at the link I sent you above. However, if you are worried it's always best to change your password but you should be fine.

Ok thanks :smile:

Got it, makes sense. So what do you then do with such an email ? Would you just report it as phishing scam or move to junk folder or what ? If moved to junk folder, then wouldn't my own email address be added to blocked senders list (so then I can't send to myself an email) ??? Thanks
Hi,

Nah, they’ve spoofed the e-mail. To have peace of mind set up 2FA, this should be mandatory IMHO.

Send to junk.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Nah, they’ve spoofed the e-mail. To have peace of mind set up 2FA, this should be mandatory IMHO.

Send to junk.

2 Factor authentication to sign-in to my email account you mean ? Great idea :smile:. Thanks. But I do have my email account in an email app on my Android phone. Plus, on my iPad I've got my email account on the Mail app and the Outlook for iOS app. With all these apps using my email account, is it really possible to set up 2FA mate ? Thanks
2 Factor authentication to sign-in to my email account you mean ? Great idea :smile:. Thanks. But I do have my email account in an email app on my Android phone. Plus, on my iPad I've got my email account on the Mail app and the Outlook for iOS app. With all these apps using my email account, is it really possible to set up 2FA mate ? Thanks

Yeah exactly right. These will all work with 2FA, once you enable it you'll have to re-sign into all the places you were previously signed into. A small price to pay for good security.

And if an app or device does not support the 2FA sign in, then you can use an app password generated on your account security settings, which you have to sign in via 2FA to get. Microsoft have made it quite simple and secure IMO :smile:
Yeah exactly right. These will all work with 2FA, once you enable it you'll have to re-sign into all the places you were previously signed into. A small price to pay for good security.

And if an app or device does not support the 2FA sign in, then you can use an app password generated on your account security settings, which you have to sign in via 2FA to get. Microsoft have made it quite simple and secure IMO :smile:

app passwords, one app password for each and every app, is way too long and overcomplicates it:mad:. I can't remember so many passwords obviously:mad:... I once even forgot where I lived and you're expecting me to somehow remember zillions of app passwords for all the apps wired to my email accounts, so not gonna happen, impractical...
Actually, I checked my outlook account security settings situation. So 2FA seems to be same as what they call identity verification app. I've already got this it turns out, a Microsoft Authenticator app on phone basically. I tested it - incognito window on Safari, sign into the outlook account and good to see it ask, after correct password entered, for my Microsoft Authenticator app on phone to approve sign-in request... Bullet proof... :smile:
I don't know how I managed to get away with no app passwords at all and yet have apps wired to my outlook accounts somehow :biggrin:
app passwords, one app password for each and every app, is way too long and overcomplicates it:mad:. I can't remember so many passwords obviously:mad:... I once even forgot where I lived and you're expecting me to somehow remember zillions of app passwords for all the apps wired to my email accounts, so not gonna happen, impractical...

Please read what I've said properly. I said if the app doesn't support it. Bare in mind most apps you use will and the process of signing in should be seamless.

Actually, I checked my outlook account security settings situation. So 2FA seems to be same as what they call identity verification app. I've already got this it turns out, a Microsoft Authenticator app on phone basically. I tested it - incognito window on Safari, sign into the outlook account and good to see it ask, after correct password entered, for my Microsoft Authenticator app on phone to approve sign-in request... Bullet proof... :smile:

I don't know how I managed to get away with no app passwords at all and yet have apps wired to my outlook accounts somehow :biggrin:

Yes, an Authenticator app is seen as one type of 2FA.

Glad you've secured your account though :yy:
Please read what I've said properly. I said if the app doesn't support it. Bare in mind most apps you use will and the process of signing in should be seamless.

Yes, an Authenticator app is seen as one type of 2FA.

Glad you've secured your account though :yy:

PRSOM
Its called email spoofing.. tbh if you dont have 2FA on then your crazy.
It turns out that now, every time I send myself an email (like to get notes across from a notepad app on my phone over to my iPad notes app via emailing), I see it as to TV Licensing :frown::mad::mad::mad:. The spoofing emails from them have already been deleted off my inbox and trash/bin in my email account. Any fix ? For an email I send to myself, I should appear both as the one who sends it and the one who receives it, so TV Licensing (the "spoofer") shouldn't be anywhere here... Thanks :smile:
Original post by CambridgeMum
X
It turns out that now, every time I send myself an email (like to get notes across from a notepad app on my phone over to my iPad notes app via emailing

Why don't you use a cloud storage service?
Why don't you use a cloud storage service?

I must admit it is a clever idea genius:biggrin::wink::smile::h:. Nice creative thinking ! But anywayz, still I'm interested in a solution really to this problem of sending to myself but seeing the spoofer as receipient, which is just wrong mate...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending