The Student Room Group

How can you block a website on your computer (windows 10)?

I would like to block several websites on my PC how can I do this? many thanks. Also once I block them how do I unblock them (this is a stupid thread/question that will probably receive no answers).
Original post by 1st superstar
I would like to block several websites on my PC how can I do this? many thanks. Also once I block them how do I unblock them (this is a stupid thread/question that will probably receive no answers).

Wrong.

There's various ways you can do this. If you know what you're doing with editing system files, then do this: https://www.pcworld.com/article/249077/how-to-block-websites.html. If not you can get a piece of software to do it for you.

Or look into changing your DNS to OpenDNS, make an account with them and block sites that way. (You can also change your router's DNS if you want it to apply to all your devices)

Or, you can look at using Pi-Hole if you've got a spare raspberry pi around if you like the DNS methods but also want to block some ads at the same time.

(I use Pi-Hole and would recommend it if you like the sound of it)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Wrong.

There's various ways you can do this. If you know what you're doing with editing system files, then do this: https://www.pcworld.com/article/249077/how-to-block-websites.html. If not you can get a piece of software to do it for you.

Or look into changing your DNS to OpenDNS, make an account with them and block sites that way. (You can also change your router's DNS if you want it to apply to all your devices)

Or, you can look at using Pi-Hole if you've got a spare raspberry pi around if you like the DNS methods but also want to block some ads at the same time.

(I use Pi-Hole and would recommend it if you like the sound of it)

Yeah tried to do the notepad thing today and it won't let me as "I am not the Administrator" is there any way to make me become it without harming my PC or downloading stuff. Don't want to damage my computer or change router's my DNS in any shape or form (in Y12 so I ain't the one paying for the electricity). I really want to block TSR and YT on my PC. Also once I block stuff how will I be able to unblock it? many thanks again.
Yeah tried to do the notepad thing today and it won't let me as "I am not the Administrator" is there any way to make me become it without harming my PC or downloading stuff. Don't want to damage my computer or change router's my DNS in any shape or form (in Y12 so I ain't the one paying for the electricity). I really want to block TSR and YT on my PC. Also once I block stuff how will I be able to unblock it? many thanks again.

Have you tried right clicking, going into properties, security and make sure Administrators can edit the file. (assuming you are actually an administrator on your computer?)

It's usually as simple as removing it from the blocklist you created.
Have you tried right clicking, going into properties, security and make sure Administrators can edit the file. (assuming you are actually an administrator on your computer?)

It's usually as simple as removing it from the blocklist you created.

I right-click but I don't get anything called "properties" and how do I edit my blocklist?
I right-click but I don't get anything called "properties" and how do I edit my blocklist?

No properties when you right click on the hosts file?

Erm, for this method that'd be your blocklist. So whenever you want to unblock a website, you remove the website from that text file.
There are extensions that are designed as concentration aids that can block certain websites for you. They're designed to work for a certain number of hours whilst you're studying, but they can potentially work for longer periods of time.
No properties when you right click on the hosts file?

Erm, for this method that'd be your blocklist. So whenever you want to unblock a website, you remove the website from that text file.

thanks and yep found the properties thing now
EDIT: but apparently I may have problems accessing files can reduce the safety of my PC etc... worried about this
(edited 3 years ago)
thanks and yep found the properties thing now
EDIT: but apparently I may have problems accessing files can reduce the safety of my PC etc... worried about this

Realistically that'll only happen if you have some sort of malware on your PC trying to redirect you from what you think is legitimate sites to fakes using that file. Likelyhood of that happening if you're safe on the internet? None.

Some malware could probably do this anyways, even if you didn't tamper with the file.
Realistically that'll only happen if you have some sort of malware on your PC trying to redirect you from what you think is legitimate sites to fakes using that file. Likelyhood of that happening if you're safe on the internet? None.

Some malware could probably do this anyways, even if you didn't tamper with the file.

ok thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending