The Student Room Group

How can I stop getting distracted whilst trying to work?

The issue with me when I am studying is that the device i use for work is also the devise i use when i am relaxing so i keep getting distracted when i am working....any tips...as i end up wasting too much time because of this.....I am going in y13
Personally, I find time limits to get small amounts of work done are very helpful. For instance, if you have to read 42 slides between 10:00-17:00, you could translate this into having read 1 slide by 10:10, 2 slides by 10:20, 3 slides by 10:30, etc.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
The issue with me when I am studying is that the device i use for work is also the devise i use when i am relaxing so i keep getting distracted when i am working....any tips...as i end up wasting too much time because of this.....I am going in y13

Is this a phone or a laptop or computer? If I knew this I could help out more.
Reply 3
Original post by LKemmett
Is this a phone or a laptop or computer? If I knew this I could help out more.

laptop
Reply 4
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Personally, I find time limits to get small amounts of work done are very helpful. For instance, if you have to read 42 slides between 10:00-17:00, you could translate this into having read 1 slide by 10:10, 2 slides by 10:20, 3 slides by 10:30, etc.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

thanks for the advise...but ive tried that before and it usually doesnt work as the length of time i take is subjective and whenever i give myself a time i just feel bad because usually i will spend longer than i think i would take actually completing it.......though it is a good suggestion

I literally have the same problem as you, I just watch yt on my laptop, even I don't know how to get rid of it
Reply 6
laptop

You could make a new user on windows which has a website blocker and only has essential study apps installed, so whenever you want to revise you can login to that other user and it'll be impossible for you to get distracted unless you go on your phone or switch users, which I found personally made it easier for me to revise. On your phone you can get apps that block you from using any other app until a time has passed.
Reply 7
You could make a new user on windows which has a website blocker and only has essential study apps installed, so whenever you want to revise you can login to that other user and it'll be impossible for you to get distracted unless you go on your phone or switch users, which I found personally made it easier for me to revise. On your phone you can get apps that block you from using any other app until a time has passed.

how would i make this new user?
sorry, im not that good with tech
and would the website blocker block youtube etc???...thanx
Reply 8
how would i make this new user?
sorry, im not that good with tech
and would the website blocker block youtube etc???...thanx

Start > Settings > Accounts and then select Family & other users. And then click on Add someone else to this pc. Make sure you add a family member, as you can set yourself as a child and make it so you can only do certain things. I'm pretty sure you can set website blockers to whatever you want, I didn't have youtube blocked on mine but I had a different google account that only recommended me educational videos. Hope this helps.
Reply 9
Start > Settings > Accounts and then select Family & other users. And then click on Add someone else to this pc. Make sure you add a family member, as you can set yourself as a child and make it so you can only do certain things. I'm pretty sure you can set website blockers to whatever you want, I didn't have youtube blocked on mine but I had a different google account that only recommended me educational videos. Hope this helps.

thnx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending