The Student Room Group

Psychology or Law with criminology

So I have applied to study psychology with criminology at NTU this September but am having doubts as to whether to study psychology with criminology or law with criminology.
I am not sure what exactly I want to do in the future or where I will be and was wondering what advice people have.
Thank you
Reply 1
(bump but also some more information)

If I did not become a lawyer would studying law have been a complete waste of time?

I have read that it is possible to do a 1 year conversion course to law from a different degree, which may be useful so this may be a good idea, it it just as valid?
Original post by renaamz
So I have applied to study psychology with criminology at NTU this September but am having doubts as to whether to study psychology with criminology or law with criminology.
I am not sure what exactly I want to do in the future or where I will be and was wondering what advice people have.
Thank you

Hi @renaamz,

I think these are two interesting degrees. I do not think that you necessarily have to continue to train as a lawyer just because you studied it although from what I know, it might be difficult to do a masters conversion to law if you study the law with criminology degree as they usually specify that you need to have a degree in something other than law. If you were to do the psychology with criminology, you may be better able to do the conversion.

Do you have any ideas of where you think you might like to go after uni? I think these degrees would open a broad range of opportunities for you but if you already have some idea, you can tailor your next steps a bit better.

Hope this is helpful,

Duncan :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by UniofGreenwich
Hi @renaamz,

I think these are two interesting degrees. I do not think that you necessarily have to continue to train as a lawyer just because you studied it although from what I know, it might be difficult to do a masters conversion to law if you study the law with criminology degree as they usually specify that you need to have a degree in something other than law. If you were to do the psychology with criminology, you may be better able to do the conversion.

Do you have any ideas of where you think you might like to go after uni? I think these degrees would open a broad range of opportunities for you but if you already have some idea, you can tailor your next steps a bit better.

Hope this is helpful,

Duncan :smile:

yes, this was very helpful, thank you.
I'm not quite sure what I want to do yet, all I know is I want to work around crime and stuff like that.
Could I ask whether the law with criminology is a qualifying law degree? If so, it might be worth going for law with criminology and then doing an open unit in psychology (if possible).
Reply 5
Original post by lawcalling
Could I ask whether the law with criminology is a qualifying law degree? If so, it might be worth going for law with criminology and then doing an open unit in psychology (if possible).

hi, yes it is a qualifying law degree :smile:
Have you studied any of these subjects before, which of the courses would you find more interesting? As you said you can do a conversion course into law if you change your mind so it sounds like you would rather do psychology and maybe that is the better option for you?
Reply 7
Original post by boringbeth
Have you studied any of these subjects before, which of the courses would you find more interesting? As you said you can do a conversion course into law if you change your mind so it sounds like you would rather do psychology and maybe that is the better option for you?

Yeah, I did psychology at A level but haven't studied law before which is also a big reason that is persuading me to do psychology as I haven't studied law before. The conversion course is a really good idea so I feel like I will probably keep with psychology but would still appreciate any other opinions and information!
Hey @renaamz :smile: ,

Both courses sound extremely interesting, however I understand that choosing a course can be extremely difficult! On our UniBuddy chat, you are able to speak to staff from both psychology and the law school. These academics are experts in these subjects, so it might be worth dropping them a message? I am sure they will be able to offer you some really helpful advice.

Hope this has been helpful? Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Ellie :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hey @renaamz :smile: ,

Both courses sound extremely interesting, however I understand that choosing a course can be extremely difficult! On our UniBuddy chat, you are able to speak to staff from both psychology and the law school. These academics are experts in these subjects, so it might be worth dropping them a message? I am sure they will be able to offer you some really helpful advice.

Hope this has been helpful? Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Ellie :smile:

Hi Ellie,
Thank you for the help, I will check it out! :smile:
I’ve applied for the law with criminology course at NTU! Did you end up putting it as your firm choice or not? Would be nice to get to know a few people on the course before I go
Reply 11
Original post by emilykelly6061
I’ve applied for the law with criminology course at NTU! Did you end up putting it as your firm choice or not? Would be nice to get to know a few people on the course before I go

Hi, I put down psychology with criminology but I know a few other the people doing law with criminology. Are you in any of the Facebook group chats?
No I wasn’t aware of any of the Facebook chats, could you please tell me what they’re called or put a link? Would be great to get to know people
Reply 13
Original post by emilykelly6061
No I wasn’t aware of any of the Facebook chats, could you please tell me what they’re called or put a link? Would be great to get to know people

If you search Nottingham Trent University Freshers 2020/2021 it should come up and then if you post something on there about your course they can add you to the chats xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending