The Student Room Group
Students researching, Cardiff Metropolitan University (UWIC)
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Visit website

is it really that bad? some people say they had a great time there and others hated it? im looking to study here in 2021 but now im not sure after hearing some things people have said.

for reference, i will study international tourism and hospitality management and live on the plas gwyn campus. thanks in advance :smile:
I have just finished studying psychology there after 3 years and generally really hated it there. I found the teaching was either really good or bad, and the lecturers would always offer help but never give the right answers when you asked or didn't know how to answer so I never made use of their office hours, but obviously this is different on every course. The Llandaff campus is really nice but there is never any room anywhere as it is always so busy. I generally found that the ones who really enjoyed it there were the ones who got black out drunk nearly every night of the week and studied any sorts of sports course. The sports and facilities are also really bad, we lose at nearly everything and the quality of coaching in nearly every sport there is quite poor. I never felt a part of anything despite signing up and trying a multitude of different things. The people who work at the uni and generally run things are quite snobby and don't really give a toss. It's very much a hit or miss as to whether you enjoy your time there, no grey area based on my experience and others that i spoke to. I would just say take caution and possibly go for another uni if you can
Students researching, Cardiff Metropolitan University (UWIC)
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by SonicsLeftNut
I have just finished studying psychology there after 3 years and generally really hated it there. I found the teaching was either really good or bad, and the lecturers would always offer help but never give the right answers when you asked or didn't know how to answer so I never made use of their office hours, but obviously this is different on every course. The Llandaff campus is really nice but there is never any room anywhere as it is always so busy. I generally found that the ones who really enjoyed it there were the ones who got black out drunk nearly every night of the week and studied any sorts of sports course. The sports and facilities are also really bad, we lose at nearly everything and the quality of coaching in nearly every sport there is quite poor. I never felt a part of anything despite signing up and trying a multitude of different things. The people who work at the uni and generally run things are quite snobby and don't really give a toss. It's very much a hit or miss as to whether you enjoy your time there, no grey area based on my experience and others that i spoke to. I would just say take caution and possibly go for another uni if you can

thank you for your reply! a few people have the same view as you so i may stay away. just wondering why everyone did not enjoy it? was it because of facilities or teaching? is there one main thing that made it horrible? also really random but if you could've studied somewhere else where would you have gone? and what was the reason you chose cardiff met over your other choices? thank u :smile:
Original post by Sophie7703
thank you for your reply! a few people have the same view as you so i may stay away. just wondering why everyone did not enjoy it? was it because of facilities or teaching? is there one main thing that made it horrible? also really random but if you could've studied somewhere else where would you have gone? and what was the reason you chose cardiff met over your other choices? thank u :smile:

It's very much a university and atmosphere where you have to always be out drinking/partying and always spending time with others to feel included and enjoy. I found people always walked around in cliques and constantly stayed together to the point of no personal space. The people I mainly made friends with were those who were older and already had a place to live outside of uni, they understood more that people have other commitments besides getting lathered every other night. The only way to really fit in to anything in that uni is if you conform to the culture and lifestyle already created and set within that group (if you get me). So mainly for me I didn't enjoy it because of the people who were there, very hard to fit in if you are more into your own space, doing stuff besides going out, etc. I was desperate to go to Aberystwyth university but they didn't accept me for the course I wanted so I went to Cardiff Met because they offered me any course I wanted on clearing day. Definitely avoid met, you can do much better
Reply 4
It's very much a university and atmosphere where you have to always be out drinking/partying and always spending time with others to feel included and enjoy. I found people always walked around in cliques and constantly stayed together to the point of no personal space. The people I mainly made friends with were those who were older and already had a place to live outside of uni, they understood more that people have other commitments besides getting lathered every other night. The only way to really fit in to anything in that uni is if you conform to the culture and lifestyle already created and set within that group (if you get me). So mainly for me I didn't enjoy it because of the people who were there, very hard to fit in if you are more into your own space, doing stuff besides going out, etc. I was desperate to go to Aberystwyth university but they didn't accept me for the course I wanted so I went to Cardiff Met because they offered me any course I wanted on clearing day. Definitely avoid met, you can do much better

i am applying to Aberystwyth as well so hoping to get in there instead. I think i will apply to met just because it has lower entry so itll be a backup but i probably won't go. I am looking at Plymouth and Bournemouth as well. Thank you for your reply :smile:
i am applying to Aberystwyth as well so hoping to get in there instead. I think i will apply to met just because it has lower entry so itll be a backup but i probably won't go. I am looking at Plymouth and Bournemouth as well. Thank you for your reply :smile:

Aber has much nicer facilities and much nicer people, fingers crossed you get in there! Deffo keep met as like a last resort back up because they will literally take anyone if you're screwed and have no other choices. Heard Plymouth is a nice one too, not too sure about Bournemouth. But good luck anyway, all the best with it
Reply 6
Aber has much nicer facilities and much nicer people, fingers crossed you get in there! Deffo keep met as like a last resort back up because they will literally take anyone if you're screwed and have no other choices. Heard Plymouth is a nice one too, not too sure about Bournemouth. But good luck anyway, all the best with it

not too sure about bournemouth as in you don't know much about it or because it isnt good? haha. and thank you fingers crossed x
not too sure about bournemouth as in you don't know much about it or because it isnt good? haha. and thank you fingers crossed x

Don't know anything about it so couldn't comment and don't know anyone who went there
Reply 8
Don't know anything about it so couldn't comment and don't know anyone who went there

no worries! your replies have been really helpful! :smile:
Reply 9

I did the same course over the same period and I agree with a lot of this. The Llandaff campus felt like a shopping center a lot of the time with so many people coming and going in all directions and there's not really anywhere to 'chill' in peace on a regular day. It's small, located next to one of the busiest roads in Cardiff, and sits alongside a river with a nature trail which sounds appealing but is usually always waterlogged and muddy. So sometimes you'd want to escape the campus in one of your breaks, but there's nowhere to really go.

It's the sort of place where you could be happy if you're already happy. If you already have loads of friends and can easily be distracted with a bottle of booze, you could be fine. The sports science and business students were usually the happiest looking ones. It kinda fits their stereotype.

I never felt part of anything at all either. The lecturers were alright. The best thing about it was that they didn't monitor attendance, so I only went to one or two lectures per year in the 2nd/3rd years. I did most of my studying at home, and sometimes I didn't even use much of the lecture resources they put up online for us. I feel like I got my 2:1 on my own, to be honest, and so I don't feel like I have much to thank the university for.
(edited 3 years ago)
I did a 3 year course there and agree with everything that's already been said. If you can go anywhere else, go there instead. It's literally a piece of ****. And I'm not biased, not one person on my course (20 people) liked it. I made the mistake of going back a few years later (lecturers had changed-this was my issue in the first place) and I couldn't get a job so applied for a masters. I didn't want to go there but trust me when I say I was desperate (probably because they provide no support for you once you graduate). Nothing had changed. It's still ****. Maybe even more so. Not a day has gone by where I haven't regretted it. Should have gone to Cardiff instead but they were so iffy with applications. When I was there originally, the pathways I took were full to the brim with students. Drama and English had 35-40 maybe even more! Trust me, I had them all at my house one time for a house party because I lived with one. And now, on my MA there, I heard they ran the course with 6 people. And it's the same across the cyncoed campus (I saw the numbers on registration day because there was an issue with my student number). I never want to see the place again and if it closed down there would be no sadness. There is no guidance whatsoever- we get laughed at and told to pick a question and answer it. Marking criteria's are uploaded after you submit your essays-not before.
The very fact that during undergrad-you have to do a sort of survey (which they demanded we all go in for and not do at home) at the end of the course and give opinions. They threatened us. They wanted us all there in the room so there was no evidence of them threatening us through email etc. Saying that we should only put good things. Any bad things will be sent to your future employers and will be considered by staff if asked to provide a reference. I could be here all day stating all the problems with it. Do yourself a huge favour-for your career and your mental health and stay far away from this **** hole.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending