The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
music is my girlfriend
Anatheme, thanks =D
I've learnt the alphabet already, so I believe that! Haha..
I'm just worried I'm not interested enough? Hopefully I am.

Also, Russia is cold.
Don't worry, that's not a real reason for not doing it..;P

Russia is cold, depending on the season and the place :p:. I went to Moscow in February, I could walk in the snow without seeing my legs because there were loooots. But tbh, it wasn't as cold as I thought it was, because there's like no wind, so the temperature is not like über-cold, haha. I supposed it's colder in St Pete, though :s-smilie:. And in summer, it's stupidly hot, my Russian friend goes to Moscow every summer and told me it was like 30°C :eek:
Anatheme
Russia is cold, depending on the season and the place :p:. I went to Moscow in February, I could walk in the snow without seeing my legs because there were loooots. But tbh, it wasn't as cold as I thought it was, because there's like no wind, so the temperature is not like über-cold, haha. I supposed it's colder in St Pete, though :s-smilie:. And in summer, it's stupidly hot, my Russian friend goes to Moscow every summer and told me it was like 30°C :eek:

Oooh, I hate wind, so sounds good to me!

Yeah, I'd probably rather go to Moscow, just so the weather wouldn't be as much of an issue..

A friend of my dad's showed me some pictures of her mother's dacha in the countryside somewhere near St Petersburg though, it was goooorgeous, right near a beautiful lake, amazing views..
Anatheme
Check this thread, it's gonna help you a bit. :biggrin:
Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread but what do you intend to study ?

German, but I do think another language would make it more interesting. Thanks for the link. :smile:

MUSICISMYLADYLOVER I believe you can do anything, so long as it fits on your timetable. It's only to bulk the number of lectures/work up, I guess.
Reply 83
I'm supposed to be going to uni in a couple of weeks, but I'm a bit torn between whether to take Russian or Spanish ab-initio! Anyone help?! thanks x
Reply 84
Anatheme
Sooo…
1) Don't worry about the alphabet, it's easier than it sounds to learn it

2) You are already familiar with declensions, there are 2 more cases in Russian, which shouldn't be a problem if you're ok with declension
3) It's an addictive language. You find it lovely when you listen to it or read, you hate it when you study it, with a passion, it's quite funny. But once you started, you can't stop, really.
4) It's a language spoken in the biggest country in the world, there are zillions of Russians and it's in high demand because Russia is developing. So you should find a job :colondollar:
5) The history of the country is amazing. It played a very important role in both World Wars and the country is still a bit under this influence
6) The literature/music is also amazing : stuff like Tolstoi, Tchaikovsky and so on are just lovely to read and to listen to, and you won't regret being able to understand them :yep:
7) The country is amazing as well :colondollar: : everything is like way bigger than it is here, it's well different and somehow lovely. Streets are immense, so are buildings, all very beautiful and Moscow is quite an attractive, so look St Petersburg and Kiev.
8) I won't lie to you, it's not gonna be a piece of cake, but if you are motivated you'll love the language and will enjoy learning it !

That was about Russian. Now, I don't really like Spanish so won't be particularly objective but it's basically easier than Russian, imo, the Spanish culture is not *that* interesting and is a bit "apart from the rest of the world" in the way that they didn't follow any tendencies, plus even if it's widely spoken in the world, you won't have the advantage you have when studying Russian which is the originality. You'll probably have better chances to get a job with Russian than you could with Spanish, but well, choose the language you prefer, really, don't be put off by my negative comments :p:
Anatheme
If Jonny is going to Southampton, believe him, it's the best :p:
Apart from Manchester of course :awesome:

:hmpf:

Southampton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Manchester.

:colondollar:

Basically, everyone should be applying to Southampton, rly :yep:

But I do agree about Russian being preferable to Spanish. If I weren't so enamoured with French and German, Russian would be one of the next on my list (along with Chinese :colondollar:)
Reply 86
jonnythemoose
:hmpf:

Southampton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Manchester.

:colondollar:

Basically, everyone should be applying to Southampton, rly :yep:

And Manchester :p:
Anatheme
And Manchester :p:

Mais d'accord - and then they get to visit both, and witness the clear superiority that my university holds over yours :yeah: :p:
Reply 88
jonnythemoose
Mais d'accord - and then they get to visit both, and witness the clear superiority that my university holds over yours :yeah: :p:

:sad: and lol at the music+typo thread :biggrin:
Anatheme
:sad: and lol at the music+typo thread :biggrin:

:yep: We can be so cruel sometimes :p:
Reply 90
jonnythemoose
:yep: We can be so cruel sometimes :p:

Hey, I got rep for this :
"Neutrol plus rep for point out a lingering typo!"

:rofl: He made my day :p:
Anatheme
Hey, I got rep for this :
"Neutrol plus rep for point out a lingering typo!"

:rofl: He made my day :p:

:laugh: Adorable
Reply 92
thanks guys! yeah I was quite set on Spanish and only considered Russian cos of Spanish being possibly unavailable, but now I'm coming more around to Russian cos its so exciting! (yes I'm a geek...)
Reply 93
I have actually made my mind up, miracle of miracles :biggrin:
I am now applying for French and Spanish at Cambridge, Bristol, Exeter and Cardiff definitely.
Then I'll possibly apply for Modern Languages at Southampton (French, German, Spanish) because apparently you can't just to do French and Spanish ab initio :s-smilie:
Reply 94
I've already got my offers and I'm going in 10 days time but Southampton as a city seems very unappealing to me.A friend of a friend of a friend just says that it's a dirty dump with lots of chavs (and Southern Chavs are supposedly even worse than Northern ones) and high crime.Also the living costs are higher and although you may be an hour from London, London is such a big place that it's not like you can go clubbing/drinking there every evening unless you want to fork out £50 for a taxi.On the other hand I guess being that far down south the weather will be better.Sussex seems to be nicer, especially as you get a beach instead of docks (although don't go there if you're a Tory.)
Reply 95
Louisdf
I've already got my offers and I'm going in 10 days time but Southampton as a city seems very unappealing to me.A friend of a friend of a friend just says that it's a dirty dump with lots of chavs (and Southern Chavs are supposedly even worse than Northern ones) and high crime.Also the living costs are higher and although you may be an hour from London, London is such a big place that it's not like you can go clubbing/drinking there every evening unless you want to fork out £50 for a taxi.On the other hand I guess being that far down south the weather will be better.Sussex seems to be nicer, especially as you get a beach instead of docks (although don't go there if you're a Tory.)

"A friend of a friend of a friend" :rolleyes:. Everyone will have their own opinions about the city and if it's considered as **** by some, it can be heaven for other. Plus the city is not exactly the only thing that count at university. Maybe that the university itself is nice and pretty and surely the courses here are interesting and of great quality. Maybe also that the SU is great and that's what appealed to applicants. I mean there is high crime in Manchester, and surely in London, but does it stop students to apply for such places ? Your point is probably wrong.
Louisdf

You won't be popular when jonny reads this :p:
Reply 97
thats_attractive
You won't be popular when jonny reads this :p:

:woo: You're a sub ! Come in the box, come in the box ! :p:
EDIT : I read your profile and saw that you liked photography, what's your camera ?
Reply 98
:mad: my tutor today told me i needed to think about graduate prospects with a languages degree and she said i should do chinese or arabic instead of italian. she's scared me...i dont actually want to do chinese or arabic (just not fussed, been to taiwan and wasn't fussed with chinese certainly) whereas italian actually appeals. and i know spanish is supposed to be more useful :s-smilie: im all confused now is it really a good idea to apply for italian ab initio??!
Reply 99
clozet
:mad: my tutor today told me i needed to think about graduate prospects with a languages degree and she said i should do chinese or arabic instead of italian. she's scared me...i dont actually want to do chinese or arabic (just not fussed, been to taiwan and wasn't fussed with chinese certainly) whereas italian actually appeals. and i know spanish is supposed to be more useful :s-smilie: im all confused now is it really a good idea to apply for italian ab initio??!

She is not wrong about graduate prospects, though if you want to do a degree, you do it for you and so you apply to study what YOU want, not what your tutor wants, nor the rest of the world claiming that Chinese is THE language everyone should learn because of business. That's a pile of crap. Graduate prospects for language students are pretty all the same : education, interpreting/translation, international relations/maybe business, foreign affairs, international organisations (EU, UN), even spying :ninja:.

The thing that changes is the number of graduates for a language. Surely they're gonna be more graduates in French and Italian than Chinese and Arabic but what's the point in studying something that may be useful but that you won't enjoy ? Don't be put off by your tutor, you're the only going to apply after all, but if you really have any doubts about it, then have a look at other languages that may interest you and you will maybe discover that there is something else you would like to study ? But remember to go with your gutt and don't let anyone influencing you about what you're going to study.

Latest

Trending

Trending