The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Although it may seem not to advantage some, but teachers will be able to make A* predictions, which will make a large distinction.
HappyHupo
Most pointless thing ever. All it will do is increase the gulf between state and private school pupils; it doesn't make the exams any harder, all it does is increase the emphasis on exam technique, i.e. creates more loops for pupils to jump through as opposed to improving their education. Oxbridge hate it and certainly for the first couple of years will use it very rarely in their offers.

Besides, it won't help universities select the brightest pupils since the A* grade is only awarded at A2; hence when the majority apply they'll only have their AS results - of which the highest grade will remain an A. It's all completely illogical.

Actually, it will. 20% of the papers will now have AEA style questions, which will be necessary to complete to get 90% in the paper.
Reply 22
AnonyMatt
Actually, it will. 20% of the papers will now have AEA style questions, which will be necessary to complete to get 90% in the paper.

Do you have a link to show that?
J-OD
oxbridge offers of A*A*A* then?
im glad i was born a couple of years earlier!

There goes my offer......... :frown:
Oxbridge won't be using A* offers until they see how it all works out. (Might have been said before, if so, I apologise, but I can't be asked to read through every post)
Reply 25
im so academic
There goes my offer......... :frown:

Your offer? Aren't you in year 10 or something?
Reply 26
I'm glad I wasn't born a year later! Personally I think the A* should be for 90% overall rather than 90% at A2 and 80% overall, surely 100% at AS and 89% at A2 is better than 70% at AS and 90% at A2? Maybe it would be better if more unis used UMS marks and AEAs.
The University of Cambridge, on the use of the A*:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/responses/astar.doc
HappyHupo

'Fraid not, sorry. I read it on here a few times and saw some links on here showing that.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7235163.stm

It's predicted to widen the gap between state and private schools, meaning state school students will be at a disadvantage. Any change to the system which disadvantages the majority is pointless and stupid. They should have thought it through properly.
HappyHupo

It's the provision of 'Stretch and Challenge': http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/support_materials/A_Level_Chemistry_B_SM_What_Has_Changed.pdf.

But it's all very vague; there aren't many indications of how difficult these questions will be.
Reply 31
oh fantastic, does this mean i (due to start yr 12 in september 08) will be effected?
i have read all other posts, but i just want to check before i know i need to worry myself sick :eek:
oxbridge still expect an average of 90% anyway, which will be A*.. but i suppose allowing teachers to predict A*'s for students would help identify the best..

and yeah bubba.ok .. your year group are the first to be effected
bubba.ok
oh fantastic, does this mean i (due to start yr 12 in september 08) will be effected?
i have read all other posts, but i just want to check before i know i need to worry myself sick :eek:

Yes, you will be affected but it because you will receive your A2 results in 2010. Just work hard!:smile:
Reply 34
Instead of getting an A*, couldn't they simply redefine the boundaries (widen them a bit). For example, E =40, D=55, C=70, B=80 and A =90 or something similar. That way the pass rate stays up but the exams become more discriminating at the top end.

Mind you imagine some people getting A's under the old system who would end up scraping a B grade under this?
Reply 35
For atleast the next 2 or 3 years entry requirements will still be at most 3 A's, because they say they need time to see how the A* grade will impact on results so there should be no change.
See:http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/responses/index.html
for more details click - use of A* at a level
Reply 36
tradingmyheartforyours
Yes, you will be affected but it because you will receive your A2 results in 2010. Just work hard!:smile:

sorry, i always get confused with affected and effected no matter how many people explain.
i know uni's are saying they wont use these a*'s in the first few years, but if they have students who are predicted a*'s rather than a's, surely they will make the a* student a conditional offer rather than the a student.
sorry if that made no sense at all, i'm 16 so not yet 100% on how uni's and this all works.

Latest