The Student Room Group

UCL chemical engineering

I will apply for chemical engineering very soon. I was thinking about UCL, it is ranked top 4 in the UK on QS ranking system, however, when I go on the complete university guide league table, UCL is ranked 12th for chemEng.

Some people say UCL's chemical engineering course is quite bad but how true is it? How is it ranked top 4 on one league table but 12 on the other, it is very weird. I am aiming for top 10 as a want a well paid graduate job, but is UCL top 10? I mean, it does have really good reputation
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, I've moved this thread to our engineering sub forum, where hopefully it'll get some useful responses.
It's not weird that different organisations have different rankings because they are using different calculations.

You are focusing on the wrong thing. Rankings have little relation to getting a well paid graduate job and the rankings will be different by the time you graduate anyway.

If you know what sector you want to work in then look for unis with good links to that sector. Visit the unis and see which ones you prefer and want to spend years of your life attending. Where do you want to live? London certainly isn't for everyone. What sort of course do you want? Some unis are a lot more theoretical than others.

There are lots of factors you should be considering and ranking isn't one of them.
Original post by username4666328
I will apply for chemical engineering very soon. I was thinking about UCL, it is ranked top 4 in the UK on QS ranking system, however, when I go on the complete university guide league table, UCL is ranked 12th for chemEng.

Some people say UCL's chemical engineering course is quite bad but how true is it? How is it ranked top 4 on one league table but 12 on the other, it is very weird. I am aiming for top 10 as a want a well paid graduate job, but is UCL top 10? I mean, it does have really good reputation

Did you end up going UCL, if so can you tell me if the course is any good, because a lot of the reviews I've read are saying its a bad place for chemical engineering

Quick Reply

Latest