The Student Room Group

Predicted Grades

I've just had in-house exams for my predicted grades at the end of Year 12. I've done pretty terribly with UCAS of BBC. My head of year has said that due to my extenuating circumstances, if I do well in the first term test of year 13 they will consider upping my predictions, which could mean I either get AAA if I do extra well in chemistry or AAB. I hoped that I could get into Chemical Eng at UCL because I do feel like I have a relatively strong PS with my further reading and EPs. I'm wondering if I should set my sights onto a worse uni or spend my summer working as hard as possible for something that is still an 'if' only because I really do enjoy engineering and really do enjoy the idea of studying at UCL.
Just to add, I did get all 7-9 in my GCSEs for STEM with an 8 in Chemistry.
Appreciate any help/opinions.
Original post by Randomguy193432
I've just had in-house exams for my predicted grades at the end of Year 12. I've done pretty terribly with UCAS of BBC. My head of year has said that due to my extenuating circumstances, if I do well in the first term test of year 13 they will consider upping my predictions, which could mean I either get AAA if I do extra well in chemistry or AAB. I hoped that I could get into Chemical Eng at UCL because I do feel like I have a relatively strong PS with my further reading and EPs. I'm wondering if I should set my sights onto a worse uni or spend my summer working as hard as possible for something that is still an 'if' only because I really do enjoy engineering and really do enjoy the idea of studying at UCL.
Just to add, I did get all 7-9 in my GCSEs for STEM with an 8 in Chemistry.
Appreciate any help/opinions.

Hi @Randomguy193432,

Some universities also take into account extenuating circumstances. In the reference from your teachers please make sure they mention them so that the universities you apply to will be aware.

I highly suggest for you to have 5 varied option in your possible universities, and look at the actual modules you will be taking. Many universities will have them listed on their website, and sometimes they're also hyperlinked with more information about the module. Not to courses are completely identical so it's important that you know they're covering what you love! Look as well for possible in industry connections, how their careers team can help you with jobs/placements/internships, and what additional opportunities they may offer you. I personally think that a university with lower grade requirements but better industry connections, placement opportunities, or a good careers team, can be more valuable than just a university with higher grade requirement.

Hope this helps,
~Michelle, placement student
What's UCL's typical offer for Chem Eng?
Original post by Keele Rep
Hi @Randomguy193432,

Some universities also take into account extenuating circumstances. In the reference from your teachers please make sure they mention them so that the universities you apply to will be aware.

I highly suggest for you to have 5 varied option in your possible universities, and look at the actual modules you will be taking. Many universities will have them listed on their website, and sometimes they're also hyperlinked with more information about the module. Not to courses are completely identical so it's important that you know they're covering what you love! Look as well for possible in industry connections, how their careers team can help you with jobs/placements/internships, and what additional opportunities they may offer you. I personally think that a university with lower grade requirements but better industry connections, placement opportunities, or a good careers team, can be more valuable than just a university with higher grade requirement.

Hope this helps,
~Michelle, placement student

Thank you very much, I will definitely look further into it.
Original post by Admit-One
What's UCL's typical offer for Chem Eng?

Their requirements are AAA and people often get in with that but people also get in with A*AA which is obviously preferred. At least one A* is possible for my predicted as long as I perform very well for my first Yr13 test.
Original post by Randomguy193432
Their requirements are AAA and people often get in with that but people also get in with A*AA which is obviously preferred. At least one A* is possible for my predicted as long as I perform very well for my first Yr13 test.

Then I don’t see much harm in having it as an aspirational choice if you have safer options as well.
Original post by Admit-One
Then I don’t see much harm in having it as an aspirational choice if you have safer options as well.

Ok thanks for the help, I'm definitely going to put as much effort in this summer as possible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending