The Student Room Group

How much does diet affect sport performance?

Okay so a random example

Person A has a diet of fast food,high oil foods,fizzy drinks and toast/cereal for breakfast aswell as chocolate/sweets everyday

Person B has a balanced healthy diet and has a very good water intake aswell.

(they both have the same talent/genetics and they share the same training time so natural talent will not affect the results)

Imagine they both eat around 2500 Calories a day from there diets/habits and they both train a sport (basketball,football,boxing etc)

will the guy will the better diet naturally have all round better performance
or will it not really affect sport performance
I guess it all depends on what sport but if the training time is similar for both people, it will not make a huge difference if they are both training and relatively fit because the junk food will make you fatter quicker but if you discount that then there's not much difference. It also really depends on what level you're playing at, if they're playing at a high level it is very important to have a good diet but if they're not then there's not really a need for an insanely strict diet. I'm not an expert but I do like to play sports so I can give a little advice
Original post by SirDaShawn
Okay so a random example

Person A has a diet of fast food,high oil foods,fizzy drinks and toast/cereal for breakfast aswell as chocolate/sweets everyday

Person B has a balanced healthy diet and has a very good water intake aswell.

(they both have the same talent/genetics and they share the same training time so natural talent will not affect the results)

Imagine they both eat around 2500 Calories a day from there diets/habits and they both train a sport (basketball,football,boxing etc)

will the guy will the better diet naturally have all round better performance
or will it not really affect sport performance

Tbh if your young... A **** diet probably won't make much difference.

But if your say in your late 30s and up... It might make a massive difference.

But in theory your diet won't make your more or less athletic overall in normal excercise.

Obviously if your looking for that peak performance... A better diet, tailored actually to your sport is best.

For example a body builder diet... Won't work for a cyclist etc.

Quick Reply

Latest