The Student Room Group

fat but what to make a change

I'm 180cm and i'm 71KG.
I've been this way since about year 11 but ever since sixthform, i feel like i've rlly let myself go. I haven't gained weight but i have lost muscle as i used to play lots of sports but as im in sixthform, i haven't been doing anything. The only thing i do is take my dog for a couple walks a week for about 30 mins and just run around in the park with him lol.

I'm just annoyed as I used to love playing sports in school and i was naturally good at them all so it just seems like a waste.

I've been looking into sports clubs near me and their either for 5-15yr olds or over 40 mins away and my parents arent able to drive me, nor will i be able to get there as they're in quite secluded spaces. I do need to buy gym wear but i want to get into a routine that i will actually enjoy. I do enjoy running but i swear everyone does weight lifting? Is there some sort of secret abt that that i dont know,?

My diet is okay but it isnt the best. I don't like any sort of fizzy drinks and i'm not a fan of sweets. I always drink water or green tea 24/7. I do eat chocolate alot but it's a trigger for my acne so i do limit myself. I love fruit so thats not a problem and i do eat vegetables from time to time. I've been trying to make more smoothies in order to down everything down me but it just makes me feel like im going to throw up. I also focus on gut health but idk if all this diet is just the bare minimum.

I want to get my stomach more defined and toned as i was looking at holiday pics and i hated everything i saw. Fat and ugly is a no go. Any tips like youtube videos, diet tips etc will be very helpful.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm 180cm and i'm 71KG.
I've been this way since about year 11 but ever since sixthform, i feel like i've rlly let myself go. I haven't gained weight but i have lost muscle as i used to play lots of sports but as im in sixthform, i haven't been doing anything. The only thing i do is take my dog for a couple walks a week for about 30 mins and just run around in the park with him lol.

I'm just annoyed as I used to love playing sports in school and i was naturally good at them all so it just seems like a waste.

I've been looking into sports clubs near me and their either for 5-15yr olds or over 40 mins away and my parents arent able to drive me, nor will i be able to get there as they're in quite secluded spaces. I do need to buy gym wear but i want to get into a routine that i will actually enjoy. I do enjoy running but i swear everyone does weight lifting? Is there some sort of secret abt that that i dont know,?

My diet is okay but it isnt the best. I don't like any sort of fizzy drinks and i'm not a fan of sweets. I always drink water or green tea 24/7. I do eat chocolate alot but it's a trigger for my acne so i do limit myself. I love fruit so thats not a problem and i do eat vegetables from time to time. I've been trying to make more smoothies in order to down everything down me but it just makes me feel like im going to throw up. I also focus on gut health but idk if all this diet is just the bare minimum.

I want to get my stomach more defined and toned as i was looking at holiday pics and i hated everything i saw. Fat and ugly is a no go. Any tips like youtube videos, diet tips etc will be very helpful.

Firstly, you're not fat or overweight or whatever. You don't need to lose weight. Perhaps it might be better to focus on something not related to the way you look?
Find some form of physical activity that you enjoy if you don't enjoy doing something then it's not going to be part of a sustainable routine. You say you like running could you set yourself a little (realistic and achievable) goal, e.g. a distance, or a time, or a race? Don't overdo it, and make sure you're continuing to eat enough otherwise you'll end up feeling tired and weak, especially if you're increasing your activity levels.
In terms of what you're eating, make sure you're consuming a variety of protein, carbohydrates, fats, and fruit and veg. "Eating vegetables" doesn't have to mean a sad pile of lettuce or over-boiled broccoli! Try roasting different things, or making fun soups, or making a curry or bolognese or something with some veg in. Don't stress over it too much, eat things you enjoy and have fun trying new foods.
:smile:
Reply 2
If your main goal is to lose weight you will be better off counting your calories and walking more.

Find out how many calories your body uses from just being alive using a calorie calculator and setting the activity level to the lowest possible then eat that number of calories minus 300 for a while and you should lose weight. The most effective way to track this is by weighing everything you eat (including cooking oil). It can be annoying at times, but it will be the most effective way to lose weight. If you don't notice your weight going down after a 3 weeks reduce calories again and keep repeating this process until you notice your weight going down. Another tip is to eat much plainer or bland foods, they will kerb your appetite however, I don't recommend this unless you are hungry all the time.

You said already that you walk your dog a lot which is actually really good. Simply walking more is one of the best ways to reduce calories as its really easy and not intense at all so you can do it all you like without getting that tired. Also if you have a dog it's probably quite fun as well so keep doing that if you wanna lose weight.

Running is also great and if you enjoy it go ahead however, it does tend to make you hungrier so watch out for that. But again, as long as you control yourself it shouldn't be a problem.

Weight training is very popular as a lot of people simply find it fun. You also pack on loads of muscle when you are a beginner which can really hook people in once they get going. It is quite good for weight loss in the long term as muscle uses a lot of calories idly allowing you to eat more and not gain as much weight. Keep in mind if you do go down this route you will need to track your protein intake (and calories if you want to lose weight).

A lot of fitness channels tend to discuss this quite well and give great advice. I would personally reccomend Jeff Nippard, Sean Nalewanyj and Renaissance Periodization (And for the love of god not Greg Doucette). Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest