The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield accomodation 2020 - best halls in Endcliffe ???

Hi I’ve accepted an offer from Sheffield and have chosen Endcliffe accomodation but just wanted to get some info of the various halls and which are the best - I prefer the more social life - thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I’ve accepted an offer from Sheffield and have chosen Endcliffe accomodation but just wanted to get some info of the various halls and which are the best - I prefer the more social life - thanks!

I am going Sheffield this year as well, unfortunately, they have put me in Ranmoor which is a little more introverted and smaller I think of the two from what I have read:frown:
Endcliffe is apparently social life galore, which I kinda what I waited as well. also, how did you choose endcliffe since the system doesn't separate the two halls
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Hi!

Congratulations on accepting your offer from Sheffield! Endcliffe is known for being the most social student halls as most first years live in Endlciffe/Ranmoor. Endcliffe and Ranmoor are around a 5/10 minute walk from each other and around a 20-30 minute walk from Uni. Endcliffe has a bar (The Edge), a village shop, a café and a launderette on site. There is also a fitness suite.

Here is a link if you would like to find out more about Endcliffe/Ranmoor, including a video tour of the accommodation: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/ranmoor-endcliffe

Let me know if you have any other questions about accommodation, the city, student experience etc. and I'll be happy to help :smile:
- Emily
2nd Year, BMus
Original post by don't move
I am going Sheffield this year as well, unfortunately, they have put me in Ranmoor which is a little more introverted and smaller I think of the two from what I have read:frown:
Endcliffe is apparently social life galore, which I kinda what I waited as well. also, how did you choose endcliffe since the system doesn't separate the two halls

Hi!
Don't worry about being placed in Ranmoor. Even though it is slightly smaller than Endlciffe, it is still very sociable! A few of my coursemates lived at Ranmoor in their first year and they said they loved it there. It's got its own common room called The Ridge and 2 launderettes on site.
Hope this helps :smile:
Let me know if you have any other questions!
- Emily
2 Year, BMus
Reply 4

Hiya, as it happens, I'm looking to get out of a contract (not in endcliffe) at leadmill point near the train station. It's a non ensuite £69 pppw. It's an ideal location next to the leadmill and smack down in the city center. Please let me know if you're interested. I've lived there last year and I can tell you all about my experience. Moreover, they will not take payment if online learning were to resume.
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi!
Don't worry about being placed in Ranmoor. Even though it is slightly smaller than Endlciffe, it is still very sociable! A few of my coursemates lived at Ranmoor in their first year and they said they loved it there. It's got its own common room called The Ridge and 2 launderettes on site.
Let me know if you have any other questions!
- Emily
2 Year, BMus

Yeah I do a couple actually, thanks
1) What do you think of Windgather?
2)Also, I have been trying to contact the accommodation team over email [failed so far], considering there could be places opening due to people not wanting to come over coronavirus but have gotten a reply and I am sitting on the contract for ranmoor and I have scanned the pdf's before i actually do a full read to see if i can transfer after I have signed the contract[which i believe i can with a £50 fee], do you think it's worth it?
3) are we allowed to use the edge?
4) what is the atmosphere of the two places

cheers sorry for the long post
Original post by don't move
Yeah I do a couple actually, thanks
1) What do you think of Windgather?
2)Also, I have been trying to contact the accommodation team over email [failed so far], considering there could be places opening due to people not wanting to come over coronavirus but have gotten a reply and I am sitting on the contract for ranmoor and I have scanned the pdf's before i actually do a full read to see if i can transfer after I have signed the contract[which i believe i can with a £50 fee], do you think it's worth it?
3) are we allowed to use the edge?
4) what is the atmosphere of the two places

cheers sorry for the long post

Hey!

So I haven't personally lived in Windgather so I wouldn't be able to share with you my personal experiences on that. But I personally think it's great to live in Ranmoor too since I've had some coursemates living there in their first year. It's just as social since it has its own common room, cafe, gym etc and has a lot of UG student population. And yes, you are free to use all services of Endcliffe too - which includes the Edge bar and cafe. Ranmoor and Endcliffe honestly, have similar atmospheres since they are both away from the city and the main Uni campus than the City accommodation. There are usually movie nights, potluck night, karaoke and other social events held over there. Societies like Biking Society or the Hiking Society also usually start their trail to the Peak District from there so you would be welcome to join them if you are interested in that.
Endcliffe has a studio there so there's usually dance classes or martial arts classes by those respective societies conducted there.
Are you looking for anything in particular?

-Sanchari
4th Year MEng Materials Science and Engineering student
Is it true that kitchens in Encliffe are smaller than those in Ranmoor?

Hi,

I lived in Howden in my first year and it was really wonderful. It's right opposite from the Edge and it used to be really quite fun on certain nights when most of us would go out. Endcliffe overall is really fun, especially if you'll be living with more than 6 people I'd say. Although Howden itself is really lively, I think what's most important when it comes to the social life is the friendships you make with your flatmates and people from other flats, and it depends entirely on the people and not so much on the actual building you're in. My whole flat was really good friends with the people in the flat opposite from us since day one and we remained really close throughout our second year too (and we moved into a huge house together). Equally, there can be people in the same building who don't go out as much, but you can still be really good friends with them. My advice would be to be open to meeting as many people as you can, regardless of what building you'll be in, and you'll surely find your group!

Andreea x
2nd Year, BA Politics & Philosophy
Does anyone know if/ what kitchen appliances are provided in endcliffe accommodation?
Original post by brid.ssss
Does anyone know if/ what kitchen appliances are provided in endcliffe accommodation?

I think there’s an oven, microwave, toaster and kettle.
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi,

I lived in Howden in my first year and it was really wonderful. It's right opposite from the Edge and it used to be really quite fun on certain nights when most of us would go out. Endcliffe overall is really fun, especially if you'll be living with more than 6 people I'd say. Although Howden itself is really lively, I think what's most important when it comes to the social life is the friendships you make with your flatmates and people from other flats, and it depends entirely on the people and not so much on the actual building you're in. My whole flat was really good friends with the people in the flat opposite from us since day one and we remained really close throughout our second year too (and we moved into a huge house together). Equally, there can be people in the same building who don't go out as much, but you can still be really good friends with them. My advice would be to be open to meeting as many people as you can, regardless of what building you'll be in, and you'll surely find your group!

Andreea x

Hi! Im In Howden next year! I have 2 silly questions for you if that's okay!

1. What colour are the walls in the bedrooms at Howden?

2. I have been told there is an induction Hob in the kitchen and I need special pans. The pans are so expensive and currently I can't afford them. Any ideas where to get cheap induction hob pans from?

2. I have been told there is an induction Hob in the kitchen and I need special pans. The pans are so expensive and currently I can't afford them. Any ideas where to get cheap induction hob pans from?

Hi!

Don't worry, they're not silly questions at all! (1) The walls in my flat were red (a slightly darker and muted red, not too bright), but I'm not sure if it depends on the block you're in (I was in C-D). It's possible that the ones right next to the C-D block (which would be A-B) would have blue walls, but I'm not entirely sure, unfortunately. I was also quite worried about the wall colour, but after I moved in, I discovered that it doesn't make a huge difference once you decorate your room some of my coursemates had blue walls and their bedrooms were still really cosy and homey because of all the photos they'd put up.

(2) It's true that there are induction hobs in the kitchen, but I never heard anything about having to use special pans for that. All of us in my flat used regular pots and pans, some of which were rather on the cheap side, so I'm sure you can confidently use whichever pans you can afford! I personally never had any sort of issue with the hobs (or the pans), so I think that should be safe!

Let me know if you have any more questions! :smile:

Andreea

Hi!

Sorry I'm just going to jump in and say that you do need special pans that are compatible with an induction hob. I lived in Allen Court for the past two years and we had induction hobs there. One of my flatmates in first year had unfortunately bought normal pans which don't work as the bottom of the pan needs to be a kind of magnetic material in order for the pan to heat up.

I seem to remember getting my pans from Sainsbury's but I can't find them online, but I have found this set of 5 pans from Dunelm for £30: https://www.dunelm.com/product/spectrum-dark-grey-5-piece-pan-set-1000137664?defaultSkuId=30625159

I know its not ideal as they are slightly more expensive than normal pans, however I'd hate for you to turn up with the wrong pans and not be able to cook!

Emily
- 2nd Year, BMus
Reply 14
Hey does anyone know about the colour of the rooms in Lawrencefield? I am in Flat B1 and I have heard its red/blue/green/yellow for student accommodation at Endcliffe but wondered if anyone knew what B1 Lawrencefield is, thank you!
Original post by brid.ssss

Hi @brid.ssss

I can see you've already had a reply from anonymous #2, but if you're wondering about what to bring with you there lots of helpful information on our accommodation moving in pages.

The majority of residences will include a hob (check if it's induction or not here), oven, fridge/freezer, microwave, kettle, and toaster. Some kitchens come with a rice cooker too. You might have multiple of these appliances too depending on the number of people living in your flat.

Have you got a room sorted in Endlcliffe? It's not long until you move in now!

-Ben :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Calebb
Hey does anyone know about the colour of the rooms in Lawrencefield? I am in Flat B1 and I have heard its red/blue/green/yellow for student accommodation at Endcliffe but wondered if anyone knew what B1 Lawrencefield is, thank you!

Hi, do you know what colour the D block at Lawrencefield is because I’m looking at booking that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending