The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Psychology Student - Ask me anything

Hi everyone!

I’m Ella and I am a UK home student. I have just completed my 2nd year at the University of Sheffield studying Psychology. During my time in Sheffield, I have enjoyed exploring the city and becoming involved in university life!

Over these two years I have
- Been an ambassador for Social Science
- Recreational Swimming Captain for the University of Sheffield Swimming team
- Covid-19 officer and Safety officer for Swimming and Water Polo Society
- Volunteered at Sheffield Mind and IDAS in Sheffield

During university I have also enjoyed different hobbies and activities
- I regularly visited the University Gym - Goodwin and also Pure Gym in Sheffield city centre
- Exploring the variety of local parks and sites, my favourite being the botanical gardens!

In my first year, I lived in Laddow apartments in Ranmoor, and I really enjoyed it. In my second year I lived in an apartment near the university! Please feel free to ask me any questions about University accommodation or housing afterwards!

I have really enjoyed studying Psychology at Sheffield; it is an interesting and diverse course that is suited for a wide range of interests. There are lots of opportunities to get involved and explore aspects of the course further.

If you have any questions about studying Psychology at Sheffield, Uni life, accommodation, Swimming or societies in general, job opportunities or anything about the university in general please don't hesitate to ask!

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Ella
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi everyone!

I’m Ella and I am a UK home student. I have just completed my 2nd year at the University of Sheffield studying Psychology. During my time in Sheffield, I have enjoyed exploring the city and becoming involved in university life!

- I regularly visited the University Gym - Goodwin and also Pure Gym in Sheffield city centre
- Exploring the variety of local parks and sites, my favourite being the botanical gardens!

In my first year, I lived in Laddow apartments in Ranmoor, and I really enjoyed it. In my second year I lived in an apartment near the university! Please feel free to ask me any questions about University accommodation or housing afterwards!

I have really enjoyed studying Psychology at Sheffield; it is an interesting and diverse course that is suited for a wide range of interests. There are lots of opportunities to get involved and explore aspects of the course further.

If you have any questions about studying Psychology at Sheffield, Uni life, accommodation, Swimming or societies in general, job opportunities or anything about the university in general please don't hesitate to ask!

Ella

Hi, I was wondering where the lectures are for psychology and wether they are all in the psychology department building or not, if so is the walk from uni halls to the psychology department long since it’s more towards the centre?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hi @Saltyflame,

The lectures for psychology are held in a variety of different buildings which is really nice as it helps you explore the different buildings the university has and makes every day a bit different. In my first year I had lectures in the Diamond, the Dainton building and Saint Georges Church. For each stream e.g. developmental psychology you will usually be in the same building for the semester which helped me to organise my time as I knew how long it would take me to get there. All of these buildings are very close together and are around the Student Union so they are really easy to find and are about a 20-25 minute walk from uni accommodation if you are staying in Ranmoor/Endcliffe. If you are staying in City accommodation it would only take you 5/10 minutes.

The main Psychology building is very near the centre of Sheffield and I would say is more of a 35 minute walk. However there is a bus stop that stops right across from the building. The bus (120) takes about 10 minutes - I tended to walk to the building and catch the bus back! The bus is a pound each way if you show your student ID so it can be helpful if you are short on time. The psychology building is not used for lectures, but it is used for Workshops and Tutorials. Normally you would have 1 tutorial and 1 workshop each week. So you would only be going to the centre two times a week not for every lecture. With Covid this might change but from my first year experiences this is what it was like.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

Ella
Reply 3
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi everyone!

Ella

I am currently a first year in Laddow, looking at accomm options for second year. Which studio accomodation did you stay in second year and what made you move out of laddow instead of returning to university accomodation?
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending