The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Accomodation

Good afternoon. I want to find out, when will be the right time to apply for accommodation as an applicant for University of Sheffield?
Hi there!

The applications for firm choice self-selection are open from March to June, and then from June to July the selection for accommodation is based upon preferences. The available accommodation is released in batches, not all at once, to allow people a fair chance at getting the specific block that they are interested in. This link here should give you all of the information regarding the accommodation application process: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/apply

I stayed in a block called Rivelin within the Endcliffe campus in my first year, and absolutely loved my experience. If you have any questions or would like to know more about what it is like to stay at University accommodation, then please feel free to ask away 🙂

Ellie (3rd year English Language and Linguistics student)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi there!

The applications for firm choice self-selection are open from March to June, and then from June to July the selection for accommodation is based upon preferences. The available accommodation is released in batches, not all at once, to allow people a fair chance at getting the specific block that they are interested in. This link here should give you all of the information regarding the accommodation application process: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/apply

I stayed in a block called Rivelin within the Endcliffe campus in my first year, and absolutely loved my experience. If you have any questions or would like to know more about what it is like to stay at University accommodation, then please feel free to ask away 🙂

Hello,
I have been accepted by Sheffield and Im looking at accommodation at halls for next year.
Any recommendations? Or any accommodations that I should maybe avoid?
Ill probably stay in shared, and Im going to be studying mechanical engineering, if that helps.
Thank you.
Original post by Ekdjd dmd
Hello,
I have been accepted by Sheffield and Im looking at accommodation at halls for next year.
Any recommendations? Or any accommodations that I should maybe avoid?
Ill probably stay in shared, and Im going to be studying mechanical engineering, if that helps.
Thank you.

Hi,
Congratulations on your offer.
The two main student accommodations are Endcliffe and Ranmoor, with Endcliffe being the larger one and slightly busier than Ranmoor, although they are very close. There is also accommodation in the city centre but it is smaller.
Most first years stay in student accommodation so whichever you choose there will be lots of people for you to meet.
Have you been to an open day and visited the accomodation?
Endcliffe has a shop, bar, gym and there are lots of activities that take place in the Edge as well as some societies that meet there.
Some things to consider when picking you accommodation are: distance to uni, cost, number of flat mates.
The city accommodation is the closest to where you will have your lectures, labs and seminars but you may not find it has as much of a community feel as Endcliffe and Ranmoor, being close and quite large can feel very much like a village.
Hope this helps,
Lizzie (BSc Mathematics and Philosophy, University of Sheffield)
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi there!

Hi, im thinking about possibly staying in rivelin, since ive heard the blocks in that area of encliffe are a bit quieter than the ones closer to the edge, would you feel that they are? and what like good things are there specifically about your block over other ones?
Original post by someonedontask
Hi, im thinking about possibly staying in rivelin, since ive heard the blocks in that area of encliffe are a bit quieter than the ones closer to the edge, would you feel that they are? and what like good things are there specifically about your block over other ones?

Hey,
It really depends on the people in the flats. But yes, in general those further away from the edge are a bit quieter.
I stayed in Howden in Endcliffe, but I have heard the best things about Crewe flats, they have an allotment, a court yard and tennis courts too. They are shared bathroom though, which is worth looking at if that is something you want.
(I will also tag Ellie so she can reply when she is on TSR)
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Original post by someonedontask

Hi!

I stayed in E block Rivelin and I found that the location was perfect as it is located at the bottom end of Endcliffe (which meant that it cut 5-10 mins off of my walk to Uni every day, in comparison to people in the blocks that were further away. When I stayed there it was definitely quieter than the blocks closer to the edge as there were considerably less people in the surrounding area, but this does depend on the people within the block itself also. Rivelin was also just off Red Lane, which meant that if we ever wanted to get a taxi anywhere, for example after a night out in the city centre, it was very easy and didn't involve us walking up to the main area that people usually book taxi's to.

Rivelin E-F block also has a lift, which is a huge bonus when it comes to moving in and out. I hope this is helpful!

Ellie (3rd year English Language and Linguistics student) 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending