The Student Room Group

Some advice needed about personal statements

I'm 24 years old, in September I began an Access to Higher Education course at college. We had to choose two subjects to study & I chose psychology & sociology. Before I started college, I was certain that I wanted to study psychology at uni, I didn't really know what sociology involved. However since I've started studying sociology I've discovered that I have a real interest in it & I much prefer the lessons to psych lessons. Now I'm unsure which subject I want to go for. We have to submit our UCAS form in a months time & I was thinking of putting 3 psych courses & 3 sociology courses down so that I could decide what to go for at a later date. My problem is that I don't know what I should write on my personal statement. I know that you're supposed to talk about what subject you want to study & why. I'm afraid that I will come across as uncommitted if I tell the truth - that I'm not sure yet. Please does anyone have any advice? Thank you:smile:
No easy way round that.

Perhaps phrase it as "I want to study psy and soc...."

Make each admissions tutor think you're applying for joint honours elsewhere.. :cool:
Dude just be honest, say that you really enjoyed psychology and decided to take Sociology as a general interest subject (i'm doing that at the moment) Sociology to a certain extent is a better subject to have, as although you get research skills and facts from Psychology in Sociology your taught to see from another perspective (as you can tell i've done both lol).
The idea about 3 of each is good, but in your personal statement say that you've applied for the different courses, each will try and win you off all the psychology people saying nooo we dont want him to do sociology. Psychology and Sociology are very close subjects except one deals with the mind and the other with society, with such a vast area like that it will look good
If you go with what you like more, obviously Sociology, then go with that. I ran into the sam problem with Biology and Physics. I Thought I would like Bio and chose Physics because I didn't know what else to choose. I loved physics and hated bio and now I'm a Physics major!
:wink:
Reply 4
Unregistered
No easy way round that.

Perhaps phrase it as "I want to study psy and soc...."

Make each admissions tutor think you're applying for joint honours elsewhere.. :cool:

Good idea - the admissions tutors don't get to see where else you're applying or which other courses you're applying for....
Thanks for your advice everyone! I think that I will probably apply for some joint honours courses. I really want to go to Lancaster Uni, but unfortunately they don't do psych/socio there. You have to study three subjects in the first year though, so maybe if I apply for sociology I can still study pysch in the first year.

Latest

Trending

Trending