The Student Room Group

Personal statement for University

What do I write about in each paragraph and which website can I go to for good examples for personal statements?
Original post by Smith17
What do I write about in each paragraph and which website can I go to for good examples for personal statements?

It's really easy. Just write about yourself, and why you want to do the course.
Reply 2
Original post by anonymoususerUK
It's really easy. Just write about yourself, and why you want to do the course.

But how do I start? What should I talk about in the personal statement intro that Universities will like?
Original post by Smith17

Hi @Smith17

Edge Hill have some fab guidance on how to write your personal statement for university which you can access here. I found this really helpful when writing my personal statement for university.

It includes guidance on how to write your personal statement, what to include, how long it should be as well as things to avoid and a video of dos and don'ts :smile:

I hope this helps, good luck for your application!

Katie - Second year Educational Psychology student
Original post by Smith17
But how do I start? What should I talk about in the personal statement intro that Universities will like?

Lots of guidance here on TSR.

You should also check any advice given on the websites of unis that you want to apply to.
Original post by Smith17

Hello @Smith17

Your personal statement is all about advertising you as a standout individual to the universities you want to apply for. They're about showcasing not only your achievements in academia but also you're capablity to produce a professional and formal piece of writing--a useful skill in any working environment. That's why it's so common for people to go to their English teachers to read over their statements.

What I would suggest for a personal statement from a personal standpoint is to think about the universities you're applying for and really hone in on some of the modules they offer. Preferably find one your options all share and include it at least somewhere to show that you've researched the university. It looks good on you and it makes you stand out. Don't blow it out of proportion that can be a sentence or two. Don't write the module title but talk about how the subject area interests you in general. The uni will see "oh we have modules like that".

Of course, that isn't the only thing you need to include. More generally, personal statements will include what you've learned across your entire education on the subject as well as any extracurricular activities, jobs, voluntary work etc. that may help boost your statement's authenticity and uniqueness. It's not mandatory as not everyone will have worked, but if you have it is something you can include as long as it has direct relevance to what you want to study.

You've got to sell yourself to your universities, make them see you as a professional candidate willing to take on the hardships of a university degree. Include a couple details of what you do in your personal life, hobbies that may not link to your course but a sentence or two about who you are as a person further provdies a personality to your statement. A sense of personality is very important; they want to see an individual over a generalised statement about your course.

Look at the links above that others have posted on personal statements too. This was just my own advice from a student!

Hope this helps,
Dom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending