The Student Room Group

Sixth form not helping with personal statement help!!

Hi guys, a quick question about personal statements:

I am a year 13 student and am applying to uni soon. Obviously I understand that the application deadline is 31 Jan 2024, however I know people apply before the deadline.

The question I have is actually about personal statements.

To put it into perspective, you know how all schools are supposed to be giving help with personal statements (for example, their head of sixth form helping them?) and all schools have a UCAS leader who gives advice and final checks before u apply?

Well my (head of) sixth form (despite me asking numerous times since September and i cannot stress enough how many times i have asked) hasn’t given any indication of when he is going to help us with them, as i know that most SF’s/college’s should help their students as early as possible and give efficient advice, but my sixth form doesn’t really seem to care? Its almost december and some of my friends and me are very desperate to get this done as we keep asking and yet he still doesn’t give any clear response, which isn’t good as it is causing my year group stress as they all want to apply to uni//apprenticeships.

So my question is, what is an adequate time in the year to have your PS checked, and what can I do now as i’ve asked way too many times and still no response, and I want to apply to uni at a good time?
Thanks everyone,
Original post by krystaloceanx

I am a year 13 student and am applying to uni soon. Obviously I understand that the application deadline is 31 Jan 2024, however I know people apply before the deadline.

To put it into perspective, you know how all schools are supposed to be giving help with personal statements (for example, their head of sixth form helping them?) and all schools have a UCAS leader who gives advice and final checks before u apply?

Well my (head of) sixth form (despite me asking numerous times since September and i cannot stress enough how many times i have asked) hasn’t given any indication of when he is going to help us with them, as i know that most SF’s/college’s should help their students as early as possible and give efficient advice, but my sixth form doesn’t really seem to care? Its almost december and some of my friends and me are very desperate to get this done as we keep asking and yet he still doesn’t give any clear response, which isn’t good as it is causing my year group stress as they all want to apply to uni//apprenticeships.

So my question is, what is an adequate time in the year to have your PS checked, and what can I do now as i’ve asked way too many times and still no response, and I want to apply to uni at a good time?
Thanks everyone,

If your school are dragging their feet with regards to your personal statement, then get one of TSR's Personal Statement Reviewers to check it - for free. Details here. (Note that there's a 10-day turnaround.)
Original post by krystaloceanx

Thanks everyone,

Hi @krystaloceanx

Sorry to hear you're feeling stressed about this. As the comment above suggests, you can use TSR or any other tutors to read over your statement.

But if you're having trouble actually writing your personal statement, here are some steps that might help...

I would start by listing down everything you can think of that you have done, whether it relates to your chosen subject or not, to get all your ideas down on paper. You can categorize your list into 'education', 'volunteering/work experience', 'extra curricular', 'achievements', 'hobbies and interests', depending on what you have noted down.

Then try and think about your course specifically. Think about why you like the subject? Why do you want to study it as a degree? What interests you? And so on...

And then you've done all the thinking! You just need to put your notes into full sentences.
There is the ABC method which you might find helpful. I wrote a thread about this a short while ago, so maybe have a read of that to get you started. Here it is: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7416988

I hope this helps, and try not to worry, I'm sure you'll be able to get an excellent personal statement put together in good time.

Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending