The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60

Cool, dentistry .. Is dentistry as bad as medicine?

They are equally challenging I guess, but hence 5 years to do the whole body and 5 years to do just TEETH lol

As for competition, Dentistry is more competitive because there arent that any unis that do the course, only 13 in the country!

good luck :smile:
HodHod
They are equally challenging I guess, but hence 5 years to do the whole body and 5 years to do just TEETH lol

As for competition, Dentistry is more competitive because there arent that any unis that do the course, only 13 in the country!

good luck :smile:

that doesn't necessarily make it more competitive. there could be a quarter of the applicants that there are for medicine or something making it less competitive overall.............................

but yer i agree that they are both challenging...
If you want to believe satistics then dentistry does seem more difficult to get into - at Manchester: 12 applicants per place for dentistry, 8 applicants per place for medicine.
You're doing it all wrong.
theatrical
If you want to believe satistics then dentistry does seem more difficult to get into - at Manchester: 12 applicants per place for dentistry, 8 applicants per place for medicine.
if you want to believe app:tongue:lace statistics then oxford and cambridge are amongst the least competitive unis to get into :tongue:
Reply 65
PenguinMafia has a point.

IMO competitive unis should be ranked on

1) Quality of applicants
2) Amount of applicants

Surely the higher calibre applicants will be applying to medicine. The UKCAT score backs that up a little bit as the averages are slightly lower in dentistry.
Reply 66
ukcat 543 (after taking out abstract reasoning)

2 interviews and 2 offers keele and sgul
Reply 67
mouse_mat
ukcat 543 (after taking out abstract reasoning)

2 interviews and 2 offers keele and sgul

I dnt understand when you say 'without AR'?

If thats teh case then my average goes upto 600 if i take out AR?

But isnt AR part of the whole total?
Reply 68
The reason people say "if I take out AR" is because last year there was a cock up on the exam so AR was taken out.
SilentGirl
I dnt understand when you say 'without AR'?

If thats teh case then my average goes upto 600 if i take out AR?

But isnt AR part of the whole total?

apparently there was a problem with the AR section of the ukcat for last year's applicants so they decided to not count that section when calculating the average. might not happen this year.
Reply 70
Actually i hope there is no problem, if there is a problem n other sections...
Reply 71
nas7232
The reason people say "if I take out AR" is because last year there was a cock up on the exam so AR was taken out.

Iope this year its all fine
Reply 72
I've seen some sites use our lowest score. That means someone with 780 may get ranked the same as a 390 lol
Reply 73
nas7232
I've seen some sites use our lowest score. That means someone with 780 may get ranked the same as a 390 lol

Whoa ! What do you mean?

That would be good in a way. The unis could compare 3 applicants with scores 790, 690 and 590 and their love for medicine.
Reply 74
At Leicester (i think) it's the lowest score out of all 4 they use. Some other schools use the ukcat this way too. That would make my 580-> 540 which I don't mind too much. Would you want that appenin to ur scores too?

ooo n im getting stressed as i dunno if I should replace cambridge with durham although durham has a 600 ukcat cut off and cambridge want a level chem which I haven't got. Which 1 shall i usee, there is no more schools that I can apply to =(
nas7232
PenguinMafia has a point.

Surely the higher calibre applicants will be applying to medicine.

Nope, all the dental students that I have met have 4 plus A's at Scottish higher and advanced highers at A and B.That is some serious quality.Also schools such as Glasgow only have 80 places and that = some serious competition for a space.

UKCAT tells you nothing about grades and quality.
Reply 76
Yeah of course Dentists are quality applicants. Medics just imo tend to have the higher grades. The ukcat don't show much but does show something in a large sample of data.
nas7232
Yeah of course Dentists are quality applicants. Medics just imo tend to have the higher grades. The ukcat don't show much but does show something in a large sample of data.

I just don't believe that medics do have higher grades.Aren't the req'd grades for both courses mostly the same? ie AAA,AAB,ABB etc

I've always seen them in the same light.
nas7232

In your opinion? So not based on anything then...
Reply 79
based on my opinion. My opinion is based on data i have seen including articles etc. There will never be any concrete facts lad, so why point out that? What is yours based on then and thanks for the neg rep lool ;:wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending