The Student Room Group

How to get over fear of spiders

I hate that I'm afraid of them, even though they're way smaller than me theres something disgusting about them that makes me want to puke.

I dont want to rely on other people to rid spiders. My family makes fun of me and looks down on me for being afraid of them which is not fair. Sometimes people would try chase me with them which is not funny at all or won't remove them because 'I need to grow up'.

Please any help, and no I'm not going to self prescribe myself with arachnophobia.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I hate that I'm afraid of them, even though they're way smaller than me theres something disgusting about them that makes me want to puke.

I dont want to rely on other people to rid spiders. My family makes fun of me and looks down on me for being afraid of them which is not fair. Sometimes people would try chase me with them which is not funny at all or won't remove them because 'I need to grow up'.

Please any help, and no I'm not going to self prescribe myself with arachnophobia.

Hi, I think the best way to get over a fear is to read up about the thing that scares you, I don't know much about spiders but whenever I see one in the house I think ohh they catch flies and I would rather have a spider I see once every few weeks then flies buzzing around.. I'm sure they have super redeeming qualities and aren't as scary as we can imagine them to be.

Unless you live in Australia or other places then the ones we get in the UK are extremely harmless and can't hurt us! Good luck
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Abzzz57
Hi, I think the best way to get over a fear is to read up about the thing that scares you, I don't know much about spiders but whenever I see one in the house I think ohh they catch flies and I would rather have a spider I see once every few weeks then flies buzzing around.. I'm sure they have super redeeming qualities and aren't as scary as we can imagine them to be.

Unless you live in Australia or other places then the ones we get in the UK are extremely harmless and can't harm us! Good luck

i second this

or if u cbb to read on it, just get a pet spider or something and make it ur friend so u cant be scared of it? idek lol :/
Lol I feel your pain I have severe aracnophobia and tbh I've just accepted it as honestly I have no idea how I'd get over such a fear, even tho ik its irrational they're just so scary
Reply 4
The next time you see a spider, pick it up. It'll show you that they're not that bad :smile:
Original post by LovelyMrFox
The next time you see a spider, pick it up. It'll show you that they're not that bad :smile:

The spider will bite you though?
Reply 6
The spider will bite you though?

Not many spiders bite, especially not a common household spider.
Not many spiders bite, especially not a common household spider.

Well the thing is some spiders I have seen in my house are so big and look like they can kill me with one sting.
Reply 8
Original post by Abzzz57

Unless you live in Australia or other places then the ones we get in the UK are extremely harmless and can't hurt us! Good luck

Thank you for your advice! I'll try do that but I think I was actually making progress with overcoming my fear but seeing a thick huge ass spider crawling fast to my room reset everything. Even writing about it makes me want to puke.
I listen to epic anime osts to psych me up to kill them
Reply 10
Well the thing is some spiders I have seen in my house are so big and look like they can kill me with one sting.

Pick up a smaller one, then?
Watching tarantula videos from people that keep them as pets helps :smile: makes you see that they have personality and that they can be quite pretty in a wat
Original post by H4ttie03
Lol I feel your pain I have severe aracnophobia and tbh I've just accepted it as honestly I have no idea how I'd get over such a fear, even tho ik its irrational they're just so scary

Ikr, it's worse knowing that one day I'll have to live by myself and deal with them. Even if I call my neighbours over itll probably be hiding again. When I was younger I guess I was more determined to overcome my fear as I actually let one on my arm but that made it worse.
Well I mean u could try holding one.

Sorry but that's the next next stage of overcoming my fear. Last time I did that it made things worse. I'll need to start off small to get me to be rational around them.
Ikr, it's worse knowing that one day I'll have to live by myself and deal with them. Even if I call my neighbours over itll probably be hiding again. When I was younger I guess I was more determined to overcome my fear as I actually let one on my arm but that made it worse.

Omg same! I genuinely am so so scared of living on my own/ w someone w rlly bad aracnophobia because honestly idk wtf I would do! Omg you let one on your arm, hats off to you my friend I would never be able to do that. For me I wish I was less scared of them as I've always wanted to visit Australia but obviously there are so many massive spiders there and idk how I would cope as I'd be in fear all the time lmaoo
Original post by blackugo
I listen to epic anime osts to psych me up to kill them

Haha it's actually helped me for tiny ones sometimes but never the big ones
Just kill one. Once you kill one you feel superior and stronger than the spider and you're fear will eventually go.
Original post by H4ttie03
Omg same! I genuinely am so so scared of living on my own/ w someone w rlly bad aracnophobia because honestly idk wtf I would do! Omg you let one on your arm, hats off to you my friend I would never be able to do that. For me I wish I was less scared of them as I've always wanted to visit Australia but obviously there are so many massive spiders there and idk how I would cope as I'd be in fear all the time lmaoo

Australia has many beautiful places that I'll never see because the spiders there mean real business.
Just tell yourself hey being Spiderman/woman isn't always the end of the world :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending