The Student Room Group

Swansea or Cardiff Met

Hey,
I got a offer letter from Swansea University and Cardiff Metropolitan University ....which one should I go for ?
Congratulations! It's brilliant to have two great options to choose from, and both Universities and cities have got lots going for them. I'm sure you'll make the decision that is right for you.

It can depend on the programme, and what you enjoy - which courses have you been accepted for?

I'm obviously going to say that Swansea is a fantastic place to live and study... :colondollar: But in all honesty, I moved here a year ago from Cardiff and I absolutely love it. The nightlife is amazing (we were voted 9th best city for student nightlife in the UK - Student Hut 2020), but there are also lots of lovely parks and miles of coastline to explore.

Here are some facts about Swansea Uni and the city which may help your decision...

- 31st in UK / Top in Wales (Times & Sunday Times 2020).
- Winner - University of the Year (What Uni Student Choice Awards (WUSCA) 2019) voted for BY students
- 6th in the UK for Overall Student Satisfaction (Based on a list of 131 institutions that appear in the Times Good University Guide NSS 2020)
- UK Top 5 for Career Prospects (Guardian 2020)
- Gold Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Rating Introduced by the government in 2017 to provide a resource for students to judge teaching quality. Universities are classified gold, silver or bronze. These ratings are determined by six core metrics based on teaching, academic support and progression to employment. (TEF)
- UK Top 30 (Research Excellence Framework 2014) Ranked 26th in the UK

We also have over 50 sports clubs and 120 societies to choose from!

Only you can decide what suits you best, but if I can provide any course-specific information, just let me know :smile: - Hannah
I had this choice to make and I made the wrong one by choosing Cardiff Met. I did 3 years there and every single person hated it. Please, for your sake, choose Swansea. Do not waste your money at Cardiff Met.
Original post by Anonymous
I had this choice to make and I made the wrong one by choosing Cardiff Met. I did 3 years there and every single person hated it. Please, for your sake, choose Swansea. Do not waste your money at Cardiff Met.

I’m looking at applying for Cardiff Met. Is there anything in particular that made it so bad???
Choose Swansea! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
I’m looking at applying for Cardiff Met. Is there anything in particular that made it so bad???

You know it's bad when they make you come into uni to do the review thing they make you do at the end of your degree. We could have done it at home. Anyway, we had to do this review thing and they made us all come in and there were 4 tutors standing there watching us fill it out. They threatened us by saying "don't forget, you'll be asking us for references" "these will get sent to every job you apply for so don't say anything bad". It was so uncomfortable.

Tbh, can't really state what it is in particular. There's nothing particularly good about it at all! It's kind of seen as a joke (by the people who go there and those who don't). Wait, the guy who helps you if you have enrolment problems-nicest person there!

No guidance- they won't put up marking criteria and will tell you to just "do the work" when you ask for help.
Favouritism and unfair marking- put it this way, because we complained about a tutor marking us down and letting another group get away with the same thing (we got given a 50 whereas they got a 70 because she loved them) they made her film every presentation from that point. The next year, we got 68 (same groups). There's blatant issues with the marking tbh, it was not just the once.
They don't really know anything and will tell you to include things in your assessment and then mark you down for including them. "I didn't tell you to put that in" - I have them on voice record saying it. It got to the point where we'd arrange, as a group (17 of us on the course), for 1-2 of us to record the seminars because they constantly lied. It really messes with your mental health.
Zero support after graduation.
I don't know a single person who likes it. I lived off campus for first year and each of us did different courses. And the general gist of it was that Cardiff Met is ****. And they were drama and English, psychology and education, and sports.
I just... please do not go there. Because I haven't met a single person who hasn't regretted it.
You know it's bad when they make you come into uni to do the review thing they make you do at the end of your degree. We could have done it at home. Anyway, we had to do this review thing and they made us all come in and there were 4 tutors standing there watching us fill it out. They threatened us by saying "don't forget, you'll be asking us for references" "these will get sent to every job you apply for so don't say anything bad". It was so uncomfortable.

Tbh, can't really state what it is in particular. There's nothing particularly good about it at all! It's kind of seen as a joke (by the people who go there and those who don't). Wait, the guy who helps you if you have enrolment problems-nicest person there!

No guidance- they won't put up marking criteria and will tell you to just "do the work" when you ask for help.
Favouritism and unfair marking- put it this way, because we complained about a tutor marking us down and letting another group get away with the same thing (we got given a 50 whereas they got a 70 because she loved them) they made her film every presentation from that point. The next year, we got 68 (same groups). There's blatant issues with the marking tbh, it was not just the once.
They don't really know anything and will tell you to include things in your assessment and then mark you down for including them. "I didn't tell you to put that in" - I have them on voice record saying it. It got to the point where we'd arrange, as a group (17 of us on the course), for 1-2 of us to record the seminars because they constantly lied. It really messes with your mental health.
Zero support after graduation.
I don't know a single person who likes it. I lived off campus for first year and each of us did different courses. And the general gist of it was that Cardiff Met is ****. And they were drama and English, psychology and education, and sports.
I just... please do not go there. Because I haven't met a single person who hasn't regretted it.

If it was just my personal experience that was bad-I wouldn't have replied. But literally nobody likes it. It will be a complete waste of your money, time and mental health.
If it was just my personal experience that was bad-I wouldn't have replied. But literally nobody likes it. It will be a complete waste of your money, time and mental health.

Ahh ok! To be honest, I’m not in love with the uni. It’s sort of a backup option for me due to lower entry requirements. It’s definitely not a favourite. I’ve seen a few people comment on Cardiff Met negatively but their experiences have always been due to personal issues with friends or lecturers. It’s nice to see a fresh opinion and a non biased view. Thanks!
Cardiff Met MA student here- choose Swansea!
If you choose Cardiff Met you will leave by the end of the first year. It's horrendous.

OMG ..it's sounds like you had a.bad time !...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending