The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Clearing

Hi I was just wondering if any knows the type of courses that are usually in clearing. I know that clearing depends on how many spaces are available in each course but has anyone noticed a pattern in the courses that usually show up during clearing?
Reply 1
There will be lots of decent unis offering places in engineering and biological sciences as well as social sciences like law, business or history. But you need to be quick. For example, there were places on Bristol's cancer sciences in clearing last year but the places were filled up within a day or two.

There are some top unis that are not popular - e.g Lancaster. I think its a great uni with top rated departments but because the uni is in the middle of a field its not as popular as the city unis like Manchester or Sheffield. Don't discount such unis - Lancaster had places on its economics programme and its biological sciences programme last year. Obviously, for each subject, you will need the pre-requisite A levels. For economics, you will need A-level maths and for biosciences Biology and Chemistry A levels are a must.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by mike23mike
There will be lots of decent unis offering places in engineering and biological sciences as well as social sciences like law, business or history. But you need to be quick. For example, there were places on Bristol's cancer sciences in clearing last year but the places were filled up within a day or two.

There are some top unis that are not popular - e.g Lancaster. I think its a great uni with top rated departments but because the uni is in the middle of a field its not as popular as the city unis like Manchester or Sheffield. Don't discount such unis - Lancaster had places on its economics programme and its biological sciences programme last year. Obviously, for each subject, you will need the pre-requisite A levels. For economics, you will need A-level maths and for biosciences Biology and Chemistry A levels are a must.

Thank you so much for letting me know :smile: Do you know if Cardiff frequently comes up for clearing? I’ve received an offer for politics but I’m unsure if I’ll be able to meet the criteria so I’m thinking of other alternative routes I can do if I miss out on results day.
Original post by Shaylahnaomi
Thank you so much for letting me know :smile: Do you know if Cardiff frequently comes up for clearing? I’ve received an offer for politics but I’m unsure if I’ll be able to meet the criteria so I’m thinking of other alternative routes I can do if I miss out on results day.

According to the following link, Cardiff had 190 courses in clearing last year - that doesn't mean to say that the same will happen this year:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/advice/clearing-2022-uk-universities-courses-still-available

Cardiff has courses in clearing every year. Which ones will be in clearing this year nobody can tell. Swansea, Aberystwyth and Bangor have courses in clearing every year as well.
Reply 5

Yes, Cardiff and Sheffield - both RG unis - did have places in clearing last year. Not sure if Politics was on there last year. Its a great uni and you would love it if you went there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending