The Student Room Group

King's UKCAT

I haven't done my UKCAT yet (booked thrusday afternoon :smile:) but by the looks of it I wont get a wow grade... I think somewhere about 650-700 if im very lucky.. maybe i'm completely wrong and it even gets close to 600.

anyways problem is I keep reading that people with low scores should not apply to Kings. is there really something to it.. because I didnt read anything about "cut-off" points on their website. also i'm applying to 2 BMAT uni's and even looking forward to making that 3 if i mess up the UKCAT. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i think they rank everyones ukcat and interview the top x highest scores. i think you'd guarantee yourself an interview if you get anything 700+
Reply 2
any info about St.Georges procedure??
Reply 3
I'm a King's student and I had a high UKCAT score, but I have no idea how they do it. I don't know if the UKCAT score is high at King's, cause it's just not something that comes up in normal conversation. Just apply if you think you're good enough, and don't worry about it.
Reply 4
This is what it says on their website:

"Your UKCAT scores will be considered in our selection for interview. They will not be the sole indicator for selection. They will be balanced against achievement in other areas, in particular your academic performance to date. All indicators will be considered together in deciding who will be selected for interview. It is therefore important to understand that there is no universal 'cut off' score for the UKCAT when applying for 2009 entry. For example, if an applicant has an excellent academic background then the test scores will play a less significant part in selection. For those with weaker academic backgrounds (relative to our overall applicant pool), the scores will become more important. An applicant who may not normally be considered on academic grounds could be invited to interview on the strength of strong UKCAT scores that may indicate potential. Also, if applicants are very similar in all other ways, the score may be the determining factor in selection for interview.

Therefore, those invited to interview could offer a broad range of UKCAT scores. For 2008 entry, the lowest average score for an applicant invited to interview was 513 and the highest 776"
Reply 5
scaryhair
This is what it says on their website:

" the lowest average score for an applicant invited to interview was 513 and the highest 776"

could you then infer that 776 was probably one of the highest scores that year?
i think its totally insane the scores people are getting this year. hardly anyone on TSR got near 800 never mind broke that threshold last year.

the things others are posting here are spot on in my opinion. If your academic and non-academic scores are both high then you will probably get an interview with any ukcat over 600.
Reply 6
i dont want to seem negative, but 505 is quite low.
In your position, I would avoid UKCAT unis like the plague, and blacklist any places that put large emphasis on it.
SGUL- would get an interview if you tick GCSE req.

However they do use UKCAT post interview stage
Reply 8
MCRmy28
I really want to apply to Kings, I've always wanted to go to KCL, but I got a really bad ukcat score, (505), and I know this puts me at a huuuuge disadvantage..because i cant apply to QMUL...but do u think I'll even be considered for kings?? some opinions/views would be really appreciated..thanks

i think it will have to dpend on your academic and other attributes, as its mentioned on their prospectus, they seem to balance out, such that a high ukcat score could offer a person with mediocre grades an interview, whilst someone with a low ukcat score but with consistent grades will also be offered interview.
Reply 9
done the UKCAT and got
VR: 680
QR: 700
AR: 630
DA: 710

avg. 680... its pretty much what I expected. I've already read how Kings use the UKCAT but does that average put me in a good position to apply there? What about Barts...any infos on how they weigh it out?
Reply 10
680 is quite an impressive score by itself, besides, you did not score lower than 600 in any section, which is another plus point.

My opinion is, anything around 700 is already considered well above average, you have no reason to worry about it.
Reply 11
If you screwed up the UKCAT and have great GCSEs you're fine. Just pick the right unis. It seems as though the smartest move is to pick the unis you can get into. I hear other people pick the unis they like the most but for me, I've come too far to limit my chances because I like x uni better than z uni.

I'd avoid QMUL over KCL if you had to pick between the 2. At least KCL give you some chance if you're below 600. At QMUL the cut-off is 600 and was told by admissions that anything lower will be an automatic rejection no matter what. Same crap is happening at Durham, Newcastle, Glasgow.
I always wanted to apply to KCL, but its not on my list of unis anymore.
Reply 13
I wanna go to Newcastle so I can be by my gf but can't anymore which sucks. I still have 1 on my list of choices that will reject me straight which is annoying. Defo sucks being a grad
Sorry to bring this thread back up again but I didn't want to make a new one for no reason.

What would people say is a 'strong academic background'? Like how many A*s/As would you need at GCSE? I'm guessing you need to be predicted all As aswell. I got 700 on the UKCAT and just want to know where I stand and whether I should really get my hopes up, because so far people applying to Kings have got scores well over 700. Also, do Kings look at individual section scores? I got 590 on the VR which really brought my score down... :mad:
i read before that mena emailed them regarding his ukcat and they said that his academic profile would be considered "strong". so have a look at his grades, i think he got something like 5-6 A*s and 4 As.
700 is amazing. go for it. i think they might look at individual sections, but the average will be more important.
Reply 16
I have 2 A* 2 A's and a UKCAT of 625 but i still might apply to Kings haha just cos i want to go so bad and i wont have a chance if i dont apply yet if i do i have a TINY chance of an interview!
Isometrix
i read before that mena emailed them regarding his ukcat and they said that his academic profile would be considered "strong". so have a look at his grades, i think he got something like 5-6 A*s and 4 As.
700 is amazing. go for it. i think they might look at individual sections, but the average will be more important.

Great thanks :smile: That's really calmed me down a bit
I have a UKCAT average of 612.5.
I have 2A*s, 6As, 4Bs an a C at GCSE
AAABD at AS (D in general studies)
Predicted AAAA

Would it be wise to apply to King's??

Thanks
A lot of people are going to now ramble on about how King's rank the top UKCAT scorers and select them for first interviews. This is complete bull****. I've rang King's up using about five times already over the past month, using lame attempts to differentiate my voice so they wouldn't pick up on my worrying and repetitive nerves (LOL, I know) and the lady at the other end explained that they are only ranking the UKCAT scores for those applying for GEP 4 year programme, NOT the undergraduate course. King's will use the UKCAT still but will look at in conjuncture with the rest of your application, being grades and the personal statement in particular. Bear in mind that King's have announced their lowest and highest UKCAT scores which were invited for interview last year, ranging from 513 to somewhere in the mid 700's. It's on their website.

If it makes any difference, I'm going to risk my application and apply to King's with a UKCAT score of 605. I know a handful of applicants who are applying there with a UKCAT score of 675+ who have much better results than me and I was initially put off by this. The bottom line is you're going to see that everywhere. It's just got to the point where you have to accept everything and decide on places you genuinely want to go to, bearing in mind their entry requirements. If King's had a cut-off score like Barts, I wouldn't apply but they don't, so I am.

Good luck! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending