The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

misslaurabee
Well if you have AAA and they're decent As with high UMS scores then you only need CCD at A2 to get AAB overall, so unless you've dropped two or three whole grades then you'll be fine :biggrin:

I know it's easier said than done, though. I need CDE at A2 to get AAA overall thanks to AS grades and coursework, and I'm still convinced that I won't manage it :/

Nah, that can't be possible!! If it was it would be incredible, but is that really possible??
They're pretty high A's... But REALLY? CCD?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Tiinnaaaa
Nah, that can't be possible!! If it was it would be incredible, but is that really possible??
They're pretty high A's... But REALLY? CCD?

Yeah, it's the way the UMS works. I mean, I'll use my English Literature UMS as an example:

Needed for an A: 480/600 overall (this is across the board, no matter the subject or exam board, 480/600 UMS is an A grade).

Accumulated at AS: 299/300

Accumulated at A2: 90/90 for a January exam and 72/90 (that's the minimum I could have gotten as I got an A for my coursework, so...)

Overall so far: 461/600

So, I need to get 19/120 in my final exam to get 480/600 overall and get my A, hence needing only an E grade in that exam :smile: although I'll be working to an A anyway, no point in skimping out just because I'm 5/6ths of the way there, but you get the idea. So that's why if you get AAA at AS level, technically you only need CCC at A2 to get As overall - but don't let this make you complacent! I'm still working as hard as I can to aim for As in my essays, but I'm letting the UMS knowledge comfort me haha. Also if your offer requires As in all modules obviously you need As in all modules regardless of the overall grade. You would probably be better off calculating your own UMS and seeing what you need rather than relying on my estimate up there - I don't want to give you the wrong information and throw you off your game or anything :frown:!
^Great post btw. I'm in a similar position in Maths (which is what i want to study at uni).. i've got such high A's in the first 4 modules that i only need 2 D's or something to still get an A. Not bad. :smile:

I wish i was in the same position for economics! :/ That subject is really going to throw me off course :frown: (literally!)
becky.fm
^Great post btw. I'm in a similar position in Maths (which is what i want to study at uni).. i've got such high A's in the first 4 modules that i only need 2 D's or something to still get an A. Not bad. :smile:

I wish i was in the same position for economics! :/ That subject is really going to throw me off course :frown: (literally!)

Thank you so much for the rep! Feels good to be out of the red again :smile: best of luck to you with your economics exams :frown: I really do hope that we all head to Exeter come September.
misslaurabee
Yeah, it's the way the UMS works. I mean, I'll use my English Literature UMS as an example:

Needed for an A: 480/600 overall (this is across the board, no matter the subject or exam board, 480/600 UMS is an A grade).

Accumulated at AS: 299/300

Accumulated at A2: 90/90 for a January exam and 72/90 (that's the minimum I could have gotten as I got an A for my coursework, so...)

Overall so far: 461/600

So, I need to get 19/120 in my final exam to get 480/600 overall and get my A, hence needing only an E grade in that exam :smile: although I'll be working to an A anyway, no point in skimping out just because I'm 5/6ths of the way there, but you get the idea. So that's why if you get AAA at AS level, technically you only need CCC at A2 to get As overall - but don't let this make you complacent! I'm still working as hard as I can to aim for As in my essays, but I'm letting the UMS knowledge comfort me haha. Also if your offer requires As in all modules obviously you need As in all modules regardless of the overall grade. You would probably be better off calculating your own UMS and seeing what you need rather than relying on my estimate up there - I don't want to give you the wrong information and throw you off your game or anything :frown:!

Omg. Ok, when I said a high A I didn't mean like 299/300!! THAT is CRAZY! Lol, did that last missing mark drive you mad?
Ah, thanks for the info :smile: UMS marks make a lot more sense now :P
Are you by any chance doing english at uni btw? Hah!
It's all ou t of my hands now, last exam was today..

Bring on August :eek:
Tiinnaaaa
Omg. Ok, when I said a high A I didn't mean like 299/300!! THAT is CRAZY! Lol, did that last missing mark drive you mad?
Ah, thanks for the info :smile: UMS marks make a lot more sense now :P
Are you by any chance doing english at uni btw? Hah!

Not a problem, UMS marks are weird and it took me a while to really get the hang of what was going on with them, but once you've got all the numbers figured out they can be quite a comfort! That dropped mark haunts me to this very day :frown: haha, it was a pretty flukey result if I'm honest - I cried my way through all three of my Literature AS exams due to a confidence crisis, but apparently the tears paid off. And yes, I am doing English at uni :biggrin: in theory, anyway :o: we'll see come results day.
becky.fm

your so lucky you've got maths in the bag! i've compleltly failed a whole paper (M1) as i had no idea about any of the questions so that my A gone and my place in Exeter gone :frown::frown:

I'm gonna be so depressed for the next 2 months as results day will just confirm my failure :frown::frown:
DreamsComeTrue.
your so lucky you've got maths in the bag! i've compleltly failed a whole paper (M1) as i had no idea about any of the questions so that my A gone and my place in Exeter gone :frown::frown:

I'm gonna be so depressed for the next 2 months as results day will just confirm my failure :frown::frown:

Eurgh mechanics :frown: I'm so glad i don't have to do it.. seriously S2 is a million times easier than M1.

Try and keep positive :hugs:
Bahh I'm beginning to doubt I'm going to make my offer now. Revising for my Religious Studies synoptic and uh... I can't see myself getting above a D or an E for this exam just because I can't get my head around the way you're meant to answer the questions. Very scared that I'll be waving bye bye to Exeter before I even got there :frown:
misslaurabee
Bahh I'm beginning to doubt I'm going to make my offer now. Revising for my Religious Studies synoptic and uh... I can't see myself getting above a D or an E for this exam just because I can't get my head around the way you're meant to answer the questions. Very scared that I'll be waving bye bye to Exeter before I even got there :frown:

Same :frown: Is this for Implications? I need an A in RS to get to Exeter but I cannot do this paper to save my life :frown:. Also developments didn't go too well.
I want to go to Exeter so much!
blueskidoo
Same :frown: Is this for Implications? I need an A in RS to get to Exeter but I cannot do this paper to save my life :frown:. Also developments didn't go too well.
I want to go to Exeter so much!

I think we're on different boards, I'm doing the OCR course. The exam on Tuesday is the synoptic - so basically knowledge of the entire course from AS and A2 being used to answer questions like "Should we act morally if there is no life after death?" I'm beginning to get the hang of answering them now, found it impossible at first, but I'm not sure I can do so proficiently enough to get the grade I need...

I don't even want to do Philosophy at Exeter, I want to do English! Blah this three A offer is really putting the strain on.
misslaurabee
I think we're on different boards, I'm doing the OCR course. The exam on Tuesday is the synoptic - so basically knowledge of the entire course from AS and A2 being used to answer questions like "Should we act morally if there is no life after death?" I'm beginning to get the hang of answering them now, found it impossible at first, but I'm not sure I can do so proficiently enough to get the grade I need...

I don't even want to do Philosophy at Exeter, I want to do English! Blah this three A offer is really putting the strain on.

Oh I'm on edexcel but yer its the synoptic paper on tuesday as well but it's a bit different.
I'm down to do maths and philosophy at Exeter but recently I've been really put off the philosophy side. I hope it gets better at uni otherwise I'll see if I can change to just maths.
Good luck for Tuesday!
blueskidoo
Oh I'm on edexcel but yer its the synoptic paper on tuesday as well but it's a bit different.
I'm down to do maths and philosophy at Exeter but recently I've been really put off the philosophy side. I hope it gets better at uni otherwise I'll see if I can change to just maths.
Good luck for Tuesday!

Good luck to you too, hopefully we'll both muddle through and get to Exeter intact :smile:
Does anyone think they will take into account the subject if you miss out on a grade. For example mine will basically depend on how maths goes so if I get a B in it for an AAA offer in history how do you think this would affect it?
Student070707
Does anyone think they will take into account the subject if you miss out on a grade. For example mine will basically depend on how maths goes so if I get a B in it for an AAA offer in history how do you think this would affect it?

Will depend entirely on how many people meet their offers, and other things besides. If enough people meet the AAA offer to fill the course, they won't consider AAB candidates at all. However if they don't fill the course and look at other applicants who maybe just missed the offer, they might take you over an AAB candidate whose B was in History because you've shown more ability in the subject of choice. No one can really tell you for sure though, apart from the Uni themselves on results day.
Reply 1196
Hey guys,

I needed AAA for law, i think i messed up psychology so i reckon i got AAB. What do you reckon chances of me getting in are, hopefully I will becuase Exeter isnt that high in league tables for law, I really want to get in its the best UNI I looked it, its immense!!!
JRVT
Hey guys,

I needed AAA for law, i think i messed up psychology so i reckon i got AAB. What do you reckon chances of me getting in are, hopefully I will becuase Exeter isnt that high in league tables for law, I really want to get in its the best UNI I looked it, its immense!!!

You haven't got your results yet so don't worry about it. You think you messed up Psychology?! Just try and remain optimistic. You could still get the grades that you need!

However, to answer your question, I'm not fancying your chances of getting in if you miss your offer as Law is a very popular course at ANY University, regardless of their position in the subject league tables. Also Exeter is overall a very highly ranked University. But theres no way of knowing until results day so try not to worry about it and carry on doing your best for your exams. Its all you can do.
:woo:

3 months to go!

:smile:
Reply 1199
KirstyK

3 months to go!

:smile:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ^^ :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending