The Student Room Group

Kallisto's Old Cartoons Review

Scroll to see replies

Just think about disney and Ducktales and Gummi Bears come into my mind. They are added now! :smile:

Before I start, an important question has to be answered: Can I embed words insofar that posts can be skipped to the right place by clicking on?

@AngryJellyfish, @8472, @the bear, @CoolCavy

Anyone?
Original post by Kallisto
Just think about disney and Ducktales and Gummi Bears come into my mind. They are added now! :smile:

Before I start, an important question has to be answered: Can I embed words insofar that posts can be skipped to the right place by clicking on?

@AngryJellyfish, @8472, @the bear, @CoolCavy

Anyone?

As in, links that would skip to specific parts of a post? Not supported in TSR, to my knowledge. I'd either use expand tags (like the ones in my long anime threads), or put the content into separate posts with an 'index' post full of links at the start.

Apologies if I've misunderstood what you were asking. :colondollar:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
As in, links that would skip to specific parts of a post? Not supported in TSR, to my knowledge. I'd either use expand tags (like the ones in my long anime threads), or put the content into separate posts with an 'index' post full of links at the start.

Example: I embed a word in the post #1 and when people are click on that word, they skip to the post #30 to read what I posted there. Is this possible with tags?
Example: I embed a word in the post #1 and when people are click on that word, they skip to the post #30 to read what I posted there. Is this possible with tags?

You can do that with [url] tags, yes (example). The links for each individual post are available from the numbers in the top right corner. :yep:
Original post by AngryJellyfish

Bit of a shame as crunchy roll has a lot of Web links to anime
Reply 25
Hi! :smile:

This Sunday the time has finally come to introduce this thread...

:banana:!!Kallisto's old Cartoons review!!:banana:

I was planning to create it for so long to give all of you a corner to go into raptures who appreciated the good old times of cartoons until this day. :excited:In short: this is a place for nostalgia, a place where I will post informations, pictures and maybe videos about old cartoons from the 80s and 90s, possibly even the 70s. :love: Cartoons I and maybe you were grown up in your childhood and teenage years. And I am sure there are some you don't know. That is one of my intentions: just to show you cartoons before your generation starts and to explain why I liked them so much in the past. :biggrin::redface:

If you like to suggest some cartoons from this period of time, be my guest and name some names! Of course it stands to reason that I will report about cartoons I really know and watched. But as I have almost watched over 100 of those, it should be hardly a problem to give reviews. :yep: And if I am talking about cartoons, I really mean cartoons! Don't confuse them with animes, so cartoons produced and made in Japan! :naughty:

Do you guys got it? alright! Let's have a lot of fun here. :h:

@quasa, @AngryJellyfish and @the bear be my invited guests for my grand opening!

:party2:

Did you get your name from Xena?
Original post by ANM775
Did you get your name from Xena?

No, I got the name from the fourth biggest moon of Jupiter. That has nothing to do with a TV series or show at all. :no:

Freakazoid!

Finally here I go with the first review. For everyone who does not know this funny superhero TV show, here are some informations about the plot: The teenager Dexter Douglas is able to turn into the superhero Freakazoid and back after a malfunction in his computer. For his transformations from Dexter to Freakazoid! he says the words Freak in! and Freak out! for the other way round. As Freakazoid! he can turn hisself into electricity to move through the power lines very quickly. Beside his spuer speed, he has enormous stamina and super power! apart from his weakness against graphite, he is insane and sometimes he drives the people and his villains around him crazy.

What I liked was the special comedy in this cartoon I did not know before from another TV shows: The narrator who is able to speak with the characters and vice versa in the fourth wall, his humorous statements during the episodes; Freakazoid himself as a ridiculous superhero who makes the villains mad with his craziness and the villain's peculiar character traits: The Cave Guy for instance has an aggressive and savage behaviour, but is well educated and equipped with a very fine articulation and a good taste for culture.

To sum up this cartoon in a few words: Freakazoid! is still like a light version of Deadpool. Who like this humor would certainly like Freakazoid!.

@quasa and @AngryJellyfish do you like my first review? is there something I can add next time?
(edited 3 years ago)

Freakazoid!

Finally here I go with the first review. For everyone who does not know this funny superhero TV show, here are some informations about the plot: The teenager Dexter Douglas is able to turn into the superhero Freakazoid and back after a malfunction in his computer. For his transformations from Dexter to Freakazoid! he says the words Freak in! and Freak out! for the other way round. As Freakazoid! he can turn hisself into electricity to move through the power lines very quickly. Beside his spuer speed, he has enormous stamina and super power! apart from his weakness against graphite, he is insane and sometimes he drives the people and his villains around him crazy.

What I liked was the special comedy in this cartoon I did not know before from another TV shows: The narrator who is able to speak with the characters and vice versa in the fourth wall, his humorous statements during the episodes; Freakazoid himself as a ridiculous superhero who makes the villains mad with his craziness and the villain's peculiar character traits: The Cave Guy for instance has an aggressive and savage behaviour, but is well educated and equipped with a very fine articulation and a good taste for culture.

To sum up this cartoon in a few words: Freakazoid! is still like a light version of Deadpool. Who like this humor would certainly like Freakazoid!.

@quasa and @AngryJellyfish do you like my first review? is there something I can add next time?

Imagine my surprise to see this 1st thing in the morning :biggrin:

Pretty good review, although I'd shorten/ change a few things.

1st paragraph: mention it's 1 of the 3 Spielberg produced cartoons from the 90s, alongside animaniacs and pinky and the brain, and mention the creator of freakazoid is also the creator of the legendary batman tas (Bruce timm). Also get rid of the whole freak in freak out bit. Regarding superpowers, changer 'superpower!' to superstrength.

2nd paragraph I liked. You could describe caveguys appearance (for example, like the hulk but as a caveman) and change highly educated to yale educated, also mentioning he has stereotypical upper-class WASP tendencies as well as savage tendencies.

If you want to, you could mention it was cancelled after 2 seasons as it had low viewership in its original run but has gained popularity in recent years due to it being more popular with elder viewers than its original target audience.

But yeah, it's a great article :biggrin:
Original post by quasa
Imagine my surprise to see this 1st thing in the morning :biggrin:

Pretty good review, although I'd shorten/ change a few things.

1st paragraph: mention it's 1 of the 3 Spielberg produced cartoons from the 90s, alongside animaniacs and pinky and the brain, and mention the creator of freakazoid is also the creator of the legendary batman tas (Bruce timm). Also get rid of the whole freak in freak out bit. Regarding superpowers, changer 'superpower!' to superstrength.

2nd paragraph I liked. You could describe caveguys appearance (for example, like the hulk but as a caveman) and change highly educated to yale educated, also mentioning he has stereotypical upper-class WASP tendencies as well as savage tendencies.

If you want to, you could mention it was cancelled after 2 seasons as it had low viewership in its original run but has gained popularity in recent years due to it being more popular with elder viewers than its original target audience.

But yeah, it's a great article :biggrin:

Nice to see that you gave me such a long response. And of course I know all these facts you mentioned in the first paragraph, but my slogan is: keep it short where its possible and tell the most important informations. If the text is too long, noboy would be interest in reading, I think. All the more I thank you that you added those to my review.

It is a shame that Freakazoid! got cancelled after season too, isn't it? I think that Freakazoid! would be more popular today thanks to the Deadpool films. This cartoon has the similar humor and would match in this period of time very good. What do you think?

Pinky and the Brain

The first cartoon review ended up with a Steven Spielberg production and goes on with another one: Pinky and the Brain. After the Animaniacs, a cartoon show in which the two mice have their appearances now and then too, this is one of the most known, possibly even the most known cartoon produced by Steven Spielberg (Tiny Toon Adventures and the sequel Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain were also produced by him). Everyone who watched the cartoon knows that the genius Brain tries to take over the world with his stupid depicted partner Pinky together. Both are mice of ACME Lab and begin to implement their plans when the people left the lab what always led to a failure as a result.

The contrary characters make this cartoon both, so good and funny: Brain is the egocentric, depressive mouse incapable of showing feelings for someone, unless he manipulates pinky and the people around. He is a perfectionist who makes plans into the detail to prevent that world domination fails, but precisely because it comes different than he planned his try to take over the world ironically always fails. Pinky, although he looks and behaves so stupid and insane, avoids the dangers of Brain's plans thanks to his naiveté. Another aspect are the crazy plans themselves Brains thinks out to achieve his goal. The cartoon contains parodies about film and literature too, just to mention it.

To come to a conclusion Pinky and the Brain is a cartoon I would even watch today. This cartoon series is timeless.

@quasa another cartoon you wished. I guess it is better this time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Nice to see that you gave me such a long response. And of course I know all these facts you mentioned in the first paragraph, but my slogan is: keep it short where its possible and tell the most important informations. If the text is too long, noboy would be interest in reading, I think. All the more I thank you that you added those to my review.

It is a shame that Freakazoid! got cancelled after season too, isn't it? I think that Freakazoid! would be more popular today thanks to the Deadpool films. This cartoon has the similar humor and would match in this period of time very good. What do you think?

i agree, i feel freakazoid was a cartoon that came out a decade or 2 too soon imo. 1 of the issues bruce timm mentioned was trying to find the right audience for it as they wanted to make it more of a mature teen / adult humour but wb wanted more kiddie oriented cartoon
Original post by quasa
i agree, i feel freakazoid was a cartoon that came out a decade or 2 too soon imo. 1 of the issues bruce timm mentioned was trying to find the right audience for it as they wanted to make it more of a mature teen / adult humour but wb wanted more kiddie oriented cartoon

To make this cartoon for kids was a big mistake and maybe the reason why Freakazoid! failed after two seasons. The kids aren't able to understand this sarcastic and ironic humor Freakazoid had, no wonder that this cartoon was cancelled. Would you love it, if it comes to a remake for the matured audience?
To make this cartoon for kids was a big mistake and maybe the reason why Freakazoid! failed after two seasons. The kids aren't able to understand this sarcastic and ironic humor Freakazoid had, no wonder that this cartoon was cancelled. Would you love it, if it comes to a remake for the matured audience?

probably would. you?
Original post by quasa
probably would. you?

I would love to! with the same humor in any case, but this time intended for young adults, as in Archer.
No one remembers Ren and Stimpy?

Original post by Joinedup

Apparently they're trying to do another reboot. Personally I was not into it or and beavis and butthead
Original post by Joinedup

Of course, I do! but I have hardly watched the episodes and the very first time was as an adult. And I would mainly report about cartoon I watched in childhood and teenage years...

The Raccoons

It is time to introduce one of the cartoons that coined my childhood years and gave me many nice memories: The main characters are the raccoons, Bert, Melissa and Ralph who make efforts against industrial forces to prevent that their surrounding, the Evergreen Forest, gets destroyed by the greedy capitalist Cyril Sneer. To save the forest, the raccoon's friends usually help them, even Cedric, Cyril's college graduated son and Bert's best friend. And so the series revolves around the rescue of the environment by the raccoons and Cyril Sneers schemes to make profits.

It is obviously that it is a cartoon about environment protection; the way the series imparts the views on environment is typical constructed for children: the episodes are funny made, the positions of the rescuers (the Raccoons) and the profiteers (Cyril Sneer) are very clear to see and easily to understand. But what I still appreciate is the ongoing develpoment of the characters and the closer look at them. That is one of the positive aspects of the Cartoon insofar that the character drawing is not a black-and-white-scheme. Thus the audiences learn that also Cyril Sneer, mostly portrayed as a greedy aardvark millionaire, has his good character traits and even changes his mind and view during the series to become a sympathetic antagonist.

Without a doubt it is a fantastic cartoon, and although this one was intended for children, even adults, especially the ones who rave about the good old times and are touched by nostalgia, may like it. The background music ('Run With Us' by Lisa Lougheed as the most known song) is underrated, but good!

@AngryJellyfish As far as I remember, it was your suggestion to report the cartoon. :smile:

The Raccoons

It is time to introduce one of the cartoons that coined my childhood years and gave me many nice memories: The main characters are the raccoons, Bert, Melissa and Ralph who make efforts against industrial forces to prevent that their surrounding, the Evergreen Forest, gets destroyed by the greedy capitalist Cyril Sneer. To save the forest, the raccoon's friends usually help them, even Cedric, Cyril's college graduated son and Bert's best friend. And so the series revolves around the rescue of the environment by the raccoons and Cyril Sneers schemes to make profits.

It is obviously that it is a cartoon about environment protection; the way the series imparts the views on environment is typical constructed for children: the episodes are funny made, the positions of the rescuers (the Raccoons) and the profiteers (Cyril Sneer) are very clear to see and easily to understand. But what I still appreciate is the ongoing develpoment of the characters and the closer look at them. That is one of the positive aspects of the Cartoon insofar that the character drawing is not a black-and-white-scheme. Thus the audiences learn that also Cyril Sneer, mostly portrayed as a greedy aardvark millionaire, has his good character traits and even changes his mind and view during the series to become a sympathetic antagonist.

Without a doubt it is a fantastic cartoon, and although this one was intended for children, even adults, especially the ones who rave about the good old times and are touched by nostalgia, may like it. The background music ('Run With Us' by Lisa Lougheed as the most known song) is underrated, but good!

@AngryJellyfish As far as I remember, it was your suggestion to report the cartoon. :smile:

Great review! I've been wanting to pick Lisa Lougheed's Evergreen Nights for the Album a Day club in music, but due to her being an obscure artist aside from amongst The Racoons fans, it isn't on Spotify. :sadnod:

Quick Reply

Latest