The Student Room Group

Kallisto's Old Cartoons Review

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AngryJellyfish
Great review! I've been wanting to pick Lisa Lougheed's Evergreen Nights for the Album a Day club in music, but due to her being an obscure artist aside from amongst The Racoons fans, it isn't on Spotify. :sadnod:

Could it be that you meant this song? That is a nice song indeed.

Any other cartoon wishes? you can find the cartoons I would like to report here in comment #15.
Original post by Kallisto
Could it be that you meant this song? That is a nice song indeed.

The whole album. I believe each track was featured as background music in the series at least once.

Any other cartoon wishes? you can find the cartoons I would like to report here in comment #15.

Aside from those listed? Still Jem. :yep:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=90646492&postcount=19
The whole album. I believe each track was featured as background music in the series at least once.

Aside from those listed? Still Jem. :yep:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=90646492&postcount=19

Oh yeah, I can remember that you wished this cartoon. By the way do you know the name of the cartoon in which an itsy-bitsy purble appears?
Oh yeah, I can remember that you wished this cartoon. By the way do you know the name of the cartoon in which an itsy-bitsy purble appears?

I've only come across the word 'purble' in the Microsoft game Purble Place, as far as I know. :hmmmm2: Could be that I have seen it in a cartoon but don't remember it, mind. :colondollar:
(edited 3 years ago)

The Little Flying Bears

From one nostalgia to another, it is time for a cartoon I have still not forget, although it was decades ago the last time I watched and I suppose that almost no one here knows the cartoon. I am talking about The Little Flying Bears! this cartoon is pretty similar to The Raccoons. The dominated main topic is the protection of the environment, but even with a stronger focus on the consequences of harmed ecosystem. And around this environmental problems a rare species of bears with wings exist in a magic forest in order to prevent harmful effects for their and people's habitat. A wise old grey flying bear (with no wings!) called Plato helps the little flying bears to make the right decisions, supports and gives them good advices. And while the bears are doing everything to keep the ecological equilibrium, the two weasels Skulk and Sammy disturb the flying bears by making trouble and the circumstances get worse.

THAT is what I call a true children cartoon it has to be: animals with human character traits in exciting adventures with instructive messages to the little kids on the TV. The episodes have different moments in the series, from funny to sad and from serious to dangerous there are no dominated patterns, they are always different. The animals, not only the weasels and bears, are lovely drawn and stand for the diversity of the forest they are living in. These things in total gave me happiness to my child's heart at a time cartoons were not only entertaining, but also with a high quality in the plots in my opinion.

I admit that it is a cartoon for children as a target group and hardly for adult's taste, but when I get a flashback about this cartoon series, it is just a pitty that no DVDs in English language were released to revive The Little Flying Bears. :frown: At least my memory remains.
Hi! @BlackkQueen12!

As you "loved all of the shows" I listed, do you wish a review about a certain cartoon before I will post a new one?
Hi! @BlackkQueen12!

As you "loved all of the shows" I listed, do you wish a review about a certain cartoon before I will post a new one?

hmmm have you seen
Family Matters?
or The Pj's?
Original post by BlackkQueen12
hmmm have you seen
Family Matters?
or The Pj's?

Family Matters is a good TV show and yes, I have watched it (I answered you in another thread). But that is not an animatic show and this thread is about them. I don't know The PJ's. Another wish, maybe from the list?
Family Matters is a good TV show and yes, I have watched it (I answered you in another thread). But that is not an animatic show and this thread is about them. I don't know The PJ's. Another wish, maybe from the list?

oh my bad!!!

lol maybe you would like Bebe's Kids

Capitol Critters

Everyone has this one special, but pretty unknown cartoon hardly people watched, although it is good. This matches to Capitol Critters perfectly. In this short cartoon series (13 episodes!) the young mouse Max is forced to leave his home on a farm in Nebraska after his family was killed by exterminators. He is going to Washington where his cousin Berkley and another mouses reside in the remote spots of the White House. With the rebellious rat Jammett, his mother Trixie and the laboratory rat Muggle Max has to cope with the issues as a mouse, because there are two cats in the President's residence they have to take care! as if that weren't enough Max gets involved in trouble thanks to Jammett's temper.

Guys, if you think that it is just an ordinary cat-and-mouse-cartoon as in Tom and Jerry, you are wrong! the episodes are focused on political and social issues in America as central topics and that is what makes this cartoon to a pearl. As a kid I am honest I have not realized the reference to politics and social life in America, all the more it got my belated high appreciation when I rewatched some episodes as a matured adult. So I think that this cartoon is not really made for kids, but rather for teenagrs to grasp the intentions of Capitol Critters.

What a shame that this cartoon series had to be cancelled as it proved to be unsuccessful. That is surely the main reason why just a few episodes were aired in 1992. And what makes it even worse is that there apparently aren't DVDs or another media to watch again. That is such an underrated good cartoon that it makes me really sad to see that it was sunken into oblivion where no one can remember, but the people like me who was in luck to watch at the right time. :frown: To prevent that it passes out of mind, it was a great pleasure to review this cartoon just for you. :yes:
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, @AngryJellyfish!

I have found Ox Tales and Alfred J. Kwak after a long research and I was a bit disappointed, as they have their origins in Japan. :frown: But they where co-productions between another countries, so would you consider them as anime anyway?

Your opinion counts too, @quasa!
Hi, @AngryJellyfish!

I have found Ox Tales and Alfred J. Kwak after a long research and I was a bit disappointed, as they have their origins in Japan. :frown: But they where co-productions between another countries, so would you consider them as anime anyway?

Your opinion counts too, @quasa!

Both are listed on AniDB, which I consider the gold standard when checking whether an old show happens to be anime. :yes:

https://anidb.net/anime/2871

https://anidb.net/anime/2737
Both are listed on AniDB, which I consider the gold standard when checking whether an old show happens to be anime. :yes:

https://anidb.net/anime/2871

https://anidb.net/anime/2737

never heard of them :rofl:

Rocko's Modern Life

Cartoons are just for kids, they are too ridiculous for teenagers, not mention for adults people told me in that way when they shared their opinions on animated series (and made me always mad). Rocko's Modern Life is apparently not a show for kids, it is suited for teenagers and their kind of humor. In this cartoon show, Rocko, an immigrant wallaby from Australia, encounters with different kinds of dilemmas in his everyday life. With his best friends, the enthusiastic steer Heffer and neurotic and disturbed turtle Filburt and his faithful dog Spanky, Rocko gets in turbulent and unpleasant situations he drives him crazy more than once. The same goes for his neighbours, Ed and Bev Bighead, two cane frogs who sometimes make his life worse by their own way.

Although the mentioned humor looks so foolish and at a first glance it is the expected exaggeration of a cartoon, I have my doubts that children understand it in a way a teenager does. The shown sceneries and the dialogues are clearly fitted for this target group. This cartoon is a good evidence for all the clueless people who can't believe that cartoon series are not only made for kids. Annoying friends and families, trouble with the neighbours and at work, everyday life issues all these things and another ones are a part of this show and funny depicted. And when I just turned to a teenager I had my pure joy to watch the episodes, as I began finally to understand that Rocko is the portrayed simple citizen to make us laugh and thus about ourselves.

It was one of these transitional cartoons I binged to bridge from teenager to an adult, a cartoon series people watch when they get older and their taste begin to change. But even (young) adults may like it. Today I would not watch this in that extent I did when was younger, but it is still a good cartoon on occasion.
(edited 3 years ago)

Dennis The Menace

Almost with my birth, a cartoon series conquered the TV I were usually binged to as a little kid. A mentionable fact is that Dennis the Menace were published as a comic and as comic strips in news papers long before this cartoon was released in TV (first comic in 1951, first episode in 1986). In Dennis The Menace, the main character as the name of the TV series implies is the five year old well-meaning boy who is causing trouble all the time and makes his neighbour Mr.Wilson mad in particular. The 78 episodes (divided in 234 segments) are about three short adventures with Dennis and his friends (Joey, Tommy, Gina, etc.), parents (mother Alice and father Mitchell) and even Mr.Wilson!

When I think of Dennis the nostalgia gets me. This is one of these cartoons they are paint with golden colours: it was one of my first TV series I watched when I began with TV. And up to this day over three decades later, Dennis The Menace did not lose the magic moments, on the contrary. A trouble-prone boy who throws everything in his surrounding in a turmoil whatever he does and wherever he is - and no one can be angry with him (but Mr.Wilson...). Dennis' childish naivete as one of the reasons for the issues he sparks off gives me even a smile as an adult. The stories are always different: from fantastic happenings (aliens and genies to name but a few), daydreamings, bandits, excursions, ordinary child's play and another things, the range of tales is enormous.

The meaning for my own cannot be put into words, it is a precious pearl from a past in which I lived. Guess I am a bit too prejudiced and influenced by memories as a kid to come to an objective view. Honestly I doubt that teenagers and (young) adults who did not growth up in this period of time, are able to enjoy and to like this cartoon in a way only a kid could. But this lovely cartoon deserves a try in any case. That is why my advice to you guys is: watch some episodes, and if it is not your taste, it is alright. I personally stick to it: the good old TV Series were simple, but still the best.

@black tea As far as I know, it was one of your favorite TV shows as a child...
(edited 3 years ago)

Dennis The Menace

Almost with my birth, a cartoon series conquered the TV I were usually binged to as a little kid. A mentionable fact is that Dennis the Menace were published as a comic and as comic strips in news papers long before this cartoon was released in TV (first comic in 1951, first episode in 1986). In Dennis The Menace, the main character as the name of the TV series implies is the five year old well-meaning boy who is causing trouble all the time and makes his neighbour Mr.Wilson mad in particular. The 78 episodes (divided in 234 segments) are about three short adventures with Dennis and his friends (Joey, Tommy, Gina, etc.), parents (mother Alice and father Mitchell) and even Mr.Wilson!

When I think of Dennis the nostalgia gets me. This is one of these cartoons they are paint with golden colours: it was one of my first TV series I watched when I began with TV. And up to this day over three decades later, Dennis The Menace did not lose the magic moments, on the contrary. A trouble-prone boy who throws everything in his surrounding in a turmoil whatever he does and wherever he is - and no one can be angry with him (but Mr.Wilson...). Dennis' childish naivete as one of the reasons for the issues he sparks off gives me even a smile as an adult. The stories are always different: from fantastic happenings (aliens and genies to name but a few), daydreamings, bandits, excursions, ordinary child's play and another things, the range of tales is enormous.

The meaning for my own cannot be put into words, it is a precious pearl from a past in which I lived. Guess I am a bit too prejudiced and influenced by memories as a kid to come to an objective view. Honestly I doubt that teenagers and (young) adults who did not growth up in this period of time, are able to enjoy and to like this cartoon in a way only a kid could. But this lovely cartoon deserves a try in any case. That is why my advice to you guys is: watch some episodes, and if it is not your taste, it is alright. I personally stick to it: the good old TV Series were simple, but still the best.

@black tea As far as I know, it was one of your favorite TV shows as a child...

This is not the version I watched as a child but the review resonates with me a lot - thanks :smile:
Original post by black tea
This is not the version I watched as a child but the review resonates with me a lot - thanks :smile:

Now that you mentioned it, there was another Dennis Cartoon indeed. Guess this was the one you meant.

Is this the animated series you watched?
Now that you mentioned it, there was another Dennis Cartoon indeed. Guess this was the one you meant.

Yep :smile:

That's the best version of Dennis the mennace! Not this cgi crap we have now.
One of my favourites from my 90's childhood days:

Wonder what you think of it? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest