The Student Room Group

Kallisto's Old Cartoons Review

Scroll to see replies

I remember captain planet! Loved that show. Never heard of widget before just watched the intro it looks interesting and your right about the voice Donald duck on helium :lol:

Tales From The Cryptkeeper

Halloween is coming soon and what seems to be better to talk about a gloomy cartoon from the 90s! And here it comes, here comes... :jacko::jacko: Tales From The Cryptkeeper!! :jacko::jacko: and creepy stories are guaranteed in the animated series: a cryptkeeper living in a mansion and in form of a rotten skeleton tells the viewers a spooky tale (sometimes even two in an episode), always with a lesson to learn. In season two, the cryptkeeper continually feuding with his rivals, the vault-keeper and old witch to steal the show, thus he appears in different locations to elude them.

To pull no punches I am not one of these people who are exciting for horror, there were just a few I liked, no matter whether animated or real shows. Tales From The Cryptkeeper is different in the manner that firstly it is not too scary to watch without to get nightmares at the next night (as a little child I was easily to scare) and secondly the idea to establish the episodes to moral stories got me. Ghouls, vampires, monsters, wherewolves, mummies there are many uncountable creepy creatures shown in the tales, so no horror fan comes up short and there is enough for everyone with special preferences. This versatility in storytelling is both a good and a bad point in that way the viewers who watch through the cartoon have no difficulties to nominate the personal favorite episodes and analogous the least ones. That is what happened to me when I started to deal with the animated adaption: many episodes hit my taste, some didn't and some in turn are on the edge. Apart from this controversy, they are good in making and creative in the plots. And always a good idea for Halloween or the days before and after.

In conclusion, people who know the real series and have a weakness for scary entertainment, they will have fun with Tales From The Cryptkeeper, as long as an animosity for animatics doesn't exist. Okay, they are not bloody and splattering as horror films used to be, not even nerve-jangling like those. This cartoon is not intended for high expectations, rather for people who have a sense for supernatural.

I wish you a happy halloween...Muahahhahaha! :evil:

Animaniacs

27 years ago (exactly on September 13 in 1993), Steven Spielberg released a brilliant animated series I was addicted as child and did not forget from that time. That was the begin of the Animanicas, the three Warner siblings Yakko, Wakko and Dot who live in the water tower of the Warner Bros. Studios. As the main characters of the show - the number of the characters is really large -, they interacted with famous people and creators in presence and in the past at various and different places in their insanely and wacky way. Each Animaniacs episode consists of two or three short cartoons in which the animaniacs don't, but another more or less known characters appear ( Pinky and the Brain for example).

That is one of these animated series I would say that I was so grateful being a child. The first thing that comes into my head is this special humor of the cartoon: As a „typical“ animated show used to be, the adventures of the mischievous Warner Bros. (and the Warner sister, sorry Dot!) were mainly constructed as overstated actions and silly (rather maniac) behaviours of Yakko, Wakko and Dot. Dr. Otto Scratchansniff, the psychatrist of the Animaniacs, is the most frequent victim and gets almost mad and crazy by helping them. Sometimes I even felt pity for him and his job, poor Otto. Anyway each animated character has a special personality for memorability: from the grumpy Slappy Squirrel to the aggressive pidgeon Pesto and the singing cat Rita, all of those have their own moments in the cartoon. Sigh, if an animated series did it that I kept my childish sense, it is the Animaniacs. And they showed me that I got older so quickly. And what remained is the pure golden memory. But that does not hinder me to watch them again! And as an adult I finally realizes the film and TV shows parodies! That makes the cartoon even interesting for older people, although I have my doubts that the current generation gets involved with the parodies, as they date back to the 50s, 60s and even 70s. It is a matter of taste as the whole animated show.

Whoever likes The Tiny Toons or Looney Toons with the bonkers sense of humor, who is spot-on Animanicas. You can't go wrong with the cartoon then. Once got by Spielberg's masterpiece, I stayed as an avid admirer of the Animaniacs. All the more I learnt that a revival on November 20 this year comes out! that was the reason why I gave this review to you. Just for people who like to be informed before it comes to a comeback. I am in when hulu brings it back! :bigsmile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto

Animaniacs

27 years ago (exactly on September 13 in 1993), Steven Spielberg released a brilliant animated series I was addicted as child and did not forget from that time. That was the begin of the Animanicas, the three Warner siblings Yakko, Wakko and Dot who live in the water tower of the Warner Bros. Studios. As the main characters of the show - the number of the characters is really large -, they interacted with famous people and creators in presence and in the past at various and different places in their insanely and wacky way. Each Animaniacs episode consists of two or three short cartoons in which the animaniacs don't, but another more or less known characters appear ( Pinky and the Brain for example).

That is one of these animated series I would say that I was so grateful being a child. The first thing that comes into my head is this special humor of the cartoon: As a „typical“ animated show used to be, the adventures of the mischievous Warner Bros. (and the Warner sister, sorry Dot!) were mainly constructed as overstated actions and silly (rather maniac) behaviours of Yakko, Wakko and Dot. Dr. Otto Scratchansniff, the psychatrist of the Animaniacs, is the most frequent victim and gets almost mad and crazy by helping them. Sometimes I even felt pity for him and his job, poor Otto. Anyway each animated character has a special personality for memorability: from the grumpy Slappy Squirrel to the aggressive pidgeon Pesto and the singing cat Rita, all of those have their own moments in the cartoon. Sigh, if an animated series did it that I kept my childish sense, it is the Animaniacs. And they showed me that I got older so quickly. And what remained is the pure golden memory. But that does not hinder me to watch them again! And as an adult I finally realizes the film and TV shows parodies! That makes the cartoon even interesting for older people, although I have my doubts that the current generation gets involved with the parodies, as they date back to the 50s, 60s and even 70s. It is a matter of taste as the whole animated show.

Whoever likes The Tiny Toons or Looney Toons with the bonkers sense of humor, who is spot-on Animanicas. You can't go wrong with the cartoon then. Once got by Spielberg's masterpiece, I stayed as an avid admirer of the Animaniacs. All the more I learnt that a revival on November 20 this year comes out! that was the reason why I gave this review to you. Just for people who like to be informed before it comes to a comeback. I am in when hulu brings it back! :bigsmile:

Great review or a great series. Re the reboot of animaniacs, pink and the brain will be a part of it.

Makes me feel however they should reboot freakazoid
Original post by quasa
Great review or a great series. Re the reboot of animaniacs, pink and the brain will be a part of it.

Makes me feel however they should reboot freakazoid

I am full of hope like you: if hulu reboots the Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain, maybe they decide to reboot another great cartoon series from the past. But I think that a reboot of the animated series Mega Man is highely unlikely and goes to zero...:frown:

Another cartoon (apart from Freakazoid) you hope for a comeback?

By the way here is the hulu trailer to the Animaniacs!

I am full of hope like you: if hulu reboots the Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain, maybe they decide to reboot another great cartoon series from the past. But I think that a reboot of the animated series Mega Man is highely unlikely and goes to zero...:frown:

Another cartoon (apart from Freakazoid) you hope for a comeback?

By the way here is the hulu trailer to the Animaniacs!

From the 90s: earthworm Jim and gargoyles. 2000s, too many including a series that is coming out this year (boondocks reboot)

Darkwing Duck

Let's get dangerous, my friends! this time the most courageous and heroic duck is on stage, and the fans of the Disney series certainly already know that there is just the only one... it's Darkwing Duck! a superhero accompanied by his sidekick Launchpack McQuack who fights against the street criminals and evil supervillains in the fictitious city St. Conard. If Darkwing Duck is not on manhunt, he is his alter ego Drake Allard and lives in a suburban house with the adopted daughter Gosalyn and mid-witted Muddlefoot family in the neighbourhood. The job as crimebuster would be so much easier, if there isn't Darkwing Duck's egoistic behaviour and desire for fame...

In my young years I loved this cartoon, but many years later I began being seriously fascinated by this excellent Diseny production and it is a real shame that I did not realize what a great super- and antihero parody Darkwing Duck is! the Marvel and DC universe are making fun of in Darkwing Duck and many more (even James Bond is parodied!). Although I am a delighted fan of the superheros from the mentioned comic editions, it is so hilarious to see the clumsy narcissistic purple hero on his missions to save St. Canard and the world and to kick the asses of the villains. The villains themselves are obviously designed for a reference to known antagonist (Bushroot has similarities to Poison Ivy and Steelbeak is dressed like the agent Bond, Quackerjack behaves like Harley Quinn, etc.) and even their origination is a clue to the villains people know from comic strips and films (The Liquidator is such an innuendo to Joker!). In general the episodes make use of the superheros stories. Their pattern is that Darkwing Duck always do things that get wrong first and mostly end up in a disaster just to get the upper hand and the victory at the end. Oh, and don't forget to point to his impressive entrances ('I am the terror who flaps in the night!') In total this cartoon is a great mix of action and fun.

So is Darkwing Duck still a great animated series? of course! is it even worth to watch so many dacades later? you can bet on! does Darkwing Duck even deserve a remake! in any case! now the questions are answered, there is just one for all of you who watched Darkwing Duck: who was your favorite villain?
Thoughts on the upcoming Tom And Jerry movie?

Original post by asif007
Thoughts on the upcoming Tom And Jerry movie?

At the first glance, the movie looks better than any animated movie those came out. Despite I treat the mix of realitiy and animation in a movie with reserve, it has the charm of the cartoon series, the simple cat-and-mouse-rivalry. What is your opinion?

Garfield and Friends

This is the review of a fat cat that was created 1978 by Jim Davis as a simple comic character and got his own show in the late 80s when his name was already known in the USA and abroad. And you are right, it is about Garfield who hates Mondays and whose favorite food is lasagne and if he is not eating a lasagne, he teases Odie or the kitty cat Nermal and makes his owner, the cartoonist Jon Arbuckle, mad. This cartoon is separated in three alternating segments: the first sequel is about Garfield, followed by an U.S. Acres (or Orson's farm) one and finish with a second Garfield sequel.

Everyone of us has these cartoons we always watch, because they are an evergreen. That is what can I tell you about Garfield without being able to explain what it exactly is. In retrospective I have not the slightest clue why I was so binged to that animated show. There is no extraordinary humor and even the stories are average in comparison to another cartoons I remember. Garfield is cult without any reasons. Full stop! this lazy and super-hungry cat has an own fascination I can't point. He causes trouble, is in trouble, is nasty to Odie, Nermal, Jon and another appeared characters in the episodes a typical pattern for a cartoon you would see in another ones too, that is not a specialty. Garfield itself with his sarcastic manner and antics is the special one. A controversial TV character who is liked by the one people and disliked by the others. And this didn't change to these days. I definetely belonged to the ones who was sitting in front of the TV to prevent missing the cartoon. And Garfield gave me happiness everytime when I watched. That is the main point.

There is really nothing to be added, as everything was already said about a fat cat that spends his days with eating foods and sleeping. An animated series that was not made for everyone's taste, that is for sure. Garfield lovers appreciate it, while the haters give the show a wide berth. I guess that this polarization is an explanation for his popularity.
(edited 3 years ago)
At the first glance, the movie looks better than any animated movie those came out. Despite I treat the mix of realitiy and animation in a movie with reserve, it has the charm of the cartoon series, the simple cat-and-mouse-rivalry. What is your opinion?

I think it looks quite good. As long as they match the wacky antics Tom and Jerry get up to in the old cartoons, I will be happy. :tongue: That Batman reference in the trailer made me laugh. I like that Chloe Grace Moretz is in the film too: she’s great eye candy!
I downloaded all of Dexter’s Laboratory and watched a couple of episodes today. Great throwback to one of my favourite cartoons in childhood. It’s only in 480p but with files encoded in a new format that allows them to play on newer build smart TV’s. As far as I know, they never made a remastered version in 1080p so this might be the best quality I will find. But I have found remastered versions of Courage The Cowardly Dog and lots of the old Scooby Doo cartoons from the 70’s and 80’s, waiting to be accessed at a later date. :smile:

Heathcliff

From one cat to another. Today it is Heathcliff's review! Heathcliff who? he is an orange-coloured street cat who messes up with another street cats in his surroundings, although his favorurite pasttime is to tease the bulldog Spike, if he does not steal fishes in the fish shop or terrorize his neighbourhood. He is in love in the anogra cat Sonja who has a mutual interest in Heathcliff. Sometimes the Catillac Cats (consists of Wordsworth, Hector and Mungo) have their guest appearances in a Heathcliff episode to make life difficult for or just spend time with him before they get an own sequel (with their leader Riff-Raff!)

Does the pattern sounds similar to the Garfield cartoon? That may true on the surface, but in total I negate! Heathcliff is anything but an ordinary street cat who has his owners and they give him a place to live in their home. Despite this circumstance, Heathcliff has a mind of his own, is a rebellious tomcat who likes to show how tough he is and with his actions he outsmarts the neighbourhood cats again and again. However Heathcliff is not a 'bad guy' at all and when it comes to worst for his friends, he cares for them and help. And when it is about Sonja, he even tends to be romantic! Heathcliff is a unique character without a doubt. The same goes for the Catillac Cats, especially for Wordsworth whose special characteristic is to speak in rhymes. Oh boy, I was so impressed that Wordsworth makes it look so easy to be a poet. The Cattilac Cats are no way inferior to Heathcliff in terms of their actions: they messed up with another cats on the junkyard where they live (and with dogs!), are on their trip to have fun and even go out stealing things sometimes!

I hope that I was able to show you up the differences between Garfield and Heathcliff in detail. Heathcliff is not an imposter in the show and it is his individualism and self-confidence in his own abilities I appreciate. As a maverick I am, I can identify myself with Heathcliff, I admired his stong-willed habit. I would watch these episodes again, even if it is because of the good old times!

:holly2::holly2::holly2::holly2::holly2::holly2::holly2::holly2::holly2:

The Secret World of Santa Claus

:holly2::holly2::holly2::holly2::holly2::holly2::holly2::holly2::holly2:

As Christmas is in the air, is there a better moment of time for a cartoon about Santa Claus and his evles? precisely. In The Secret World of Santa Claus it is always around this christmassy time: In each episode (26 in total) Santa Claus does christmas-related activities at his workshop that is located on the North Pole, where else? and while the trolls Gruzzlebeard and his partner Dudley, the „villains“ of this animated series, try to foil Santa's plans to ruin the hopes and christmas eve for children, the elves Thoren, Gulfi and Jordi everyone of those three has a special ability help him that the things on christmas turn out fine.

Everyone of us was a child craving for this one special day: Christmas Eve! that meant wonderful gifts we desired since the first day in December (and maybe before). But the time lasts and the waiting is a torture, the christmas time dull to the death. And what can be done to bridge the time? answer: watching a cartoon about Santa! oh boy, when I just thinking about it, my eyes are shining for childish joy! :bigsmile: a December without this show? unthinkable! almost every day on this month an episode is aired in TV. A good pasttime and the best way to raise the anticipation before the day has finally come. The Secret World of Santa Claus catches the desires and feelings of young children and projected those on TV screen. Splendid! I remember that my favorite moment in every episode was when Santa Claus flies through the dark sky in a sleigh with his reindeers to bring the gifts to the children, the corresponding christmassy chant to that sticks in my mind. To make it short: the cartoon livens the mood for christmas up and gave me unforgettable and pleasant time before christmas.

There are so many series during and about christmas, but this one is the best up to this day! I don't know another christmas cartoon that came so close to the meaning of christmas for young people and sparked my joy at the same time. I admit it is a series for kids in particular and hard to imagine that teenagers feel the same. Children's eyes are different and have their own fascination for things; the intention of the animated series is to keep the magic of christmas and I love it for that! Happy Christmas, ho-ho-ho-ho-ho! :claus:
After a rest during the christmas days and some busy days in the new year, I intend to continue with my review project! if some wishes exist, be my guest and tell me!

@quasa You wished Top Cat and Wacky Races, right?
@the bear Top Cat and...what were the other wishes?!
@AngryJellyfish You wished The Raccoons, that is done...anything else I can't remember?
After a rest during the christmas days and some busy days in the new year, I intend to continue with my review project! if some wishes exist, be my guest and tell me!

@AngryJellyfish You wished The Raccoons, that is done...anything else I can't remember?

Jem, if you're interested! :yep:

Yup. Also there is a series i wouldnt mind recommending but the creator is become a far right nut job the last few years. The series is dilbert.

Hey Arnold!

Hey guys, I was absent a long period with my reviews to cartoons and now I resume with special memories, it is about Hey Arnold! this time. As the name of the cartoon series reveals, it is about the nine year old Arnold who grows up with his grandparents Gertrude and Phil in the fictional city Hillwood with his neighbourhood friend Gerald. With another friends in his surrounding, they are involved in adventures and sometimes the episodes revolve around the characters.

What labels a good cartoon? the plot? yeah, absolutely. The characters? under all circumstances, yes! and in Hey Arnold! both exist: good plots to the episodes and characters with interesting character traits. Helga Pataki is the most known example, a girl that behaves quite rude in presence of Arnold, but actually is deep fall in love for him. Another case is the bully Harold who can be a nice guy sometimes and is a strict Jew. Eugene is worth to mention too because the lots of injuries and bad things they happen to him as a running-gag of the show. And of course Arnold himself who acts as a matured and intelligent child, especially people are in trouble to solve the concerns. I appreciate the 'special episodes' in which the side-characters have their own show to get into the personalities and the episodes which teach the (young) people appropriate for children a lesson are the best.

In short: Hey Arnold! Is in one word a good cartoon and till this day not old-fashioned. That is what I call a simple, but creative and subtle cartoon series what is no comparison to some silly animated series are used to be aired today. Hey Arnold! is missing in TV without a doubt.

Batman TAS

A superhero from DC comics who has influenced generations of people and is known as Gotham's dark knight, who fights against the notorious villains like the Penguin, the Joker and the Riddler to thwart their crimes in the known metropolis, an anti-hero with his own view and considerations for justice: It is Batman! And before the best batman films were released, there existed an animated series in 1992 and turned the world of cartoons upside down.

The very first thing that I can't forget is the opening (see above). When I watched cartoons at that time, I was used to have a funny and a plain introduction, Batman however was dramatic and thrilling from the beginning and makes clear that a threat is in the air. I admit that it has an intimidate effect on me. The episodes themselves don't consist of battles between the crooks and Batman only, as the intro implies. Batman mostly uses his sharp mind, acts as a detective and collects information before he is in action. The animation indeed is dark drawn what catches the atmosphere of the series and is always in presence. In contrast to many other cartoons, Batman is a serious cartoon with restrained violence and brutality and with the eccentric character traits of the evil villains we all know. As such it is not a big surprise that Batman has their sad and terryfying moments they made me pensive. For a kid's cartoon show (!) it is horrible and a lot of episodes gave me nightmares at night (the reason why I resume with watching when I got older).

Batman will always be one of the most popular hero, for some he is even the most popular hero. And this animated series, almost 30 years old, has not to be hidden: the animation is great, the episodes are in keeping with times and the character's personality is held in detail. Batman TAS is one of these series, I appreciated when my childhood was over. And till this day I do!

@quasa You wished it, didn't you? what do you think of this review?

Batman TAS

A superhero from DC comics who has influenced generations of people and is known as Gotham's dark knight, who fights against the notorious villains like the Penguin, the Joker and the Riddler to thwart their crimes in the known metropolis, an anti-hero with his own view and considerations for justice: It is Batman! And before the best batman films were released, there existed an animated series in 1992 and turned the world of cartoons upside down.

The very first thing that I can't forget is the opening (see above). When I watched cartoons at that time, I was used to have a funny and a plain introduction, Batman however was dramatic and thrilling from the beginning and makes clear that a threat is in the air. I admit that it has an intimidate effect on me. The episodes themselves don't consist of battles between the crooks and Batman only, as the intro implies. Batman mostly uses his sharp mind, acts as a detective and collects information before he is in action. The animation indeed is dark drawn what catches the atmosphere of the series and is always in presence. In contrast to many other cartoons, Batman is a serious cartoon with restrained violence and brutality and with the eccentric character traits of the evil villains we all know. As such it is not a big surprise that Batman has their sad and terryfying moments they made me pensive. For a kid's cartoon show (!) it is horrible and a lot of episodes gave me nightmares at night (the reason why I resume with watching when I got older).

Batman will always be one of the most popular hero, for some he is even the most popular hero. And this animated series, almost 30 years old, has not to be hidden: the animation is great, the episodes are in keeping with times and the character's personality is held in detail. Batman TAS is one of these series, I appreciated when my childhood was over. And till this day I do!

@quasa You wished it, didn't you? what do you think of this review?

great review for a great series :smile:. I dont supposed you are doing batman beyond as the next cartoon by anychance?

Quick Reply

Latest