The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Should you use spaced paragraphs in your personal statement?
Yes.
Ideally, yes.
Reply 63
yeah it helps make the text more user friendly but try to keep each paragraph roughly the same size x
Yeah, you'll lose a few characters but your statement will come across much more readable and comprehensible!
It would appear we have a consensus.
:yes:

It will look more presentable :smile:
I think it's a good idea to; it makes it look a lot more structured :smile: with a medical personal statement you ideally want to split it in to an introduction, work experience, voluntary work, extra curricular and a conclusion :smile:
Reply 68
Yes.

inb4 Good Bloke.
Reply 69
One of the career advisor types told my class that when 'they' get your application to read over, the personal statement is printed off to a sheet that can be as small as a quarter of an A4, cynic in me thinks that would make everything illegable so I think that perhaps half an A4 is probably right.

Either way, it will be small. Print off a complete block of text and see how it looks to you, I'd think you would get bored or get eye strain after the first sentance or two. Then think that these people have to read hundreds of these when going through applications.

They make it easier to read.
Reply 70
I don't think it makes that much of a difference to be honest, if you have worthwhile things to say and you're losing characters because of it, leave the spaces out.
Definitely.

Original post by MyselfEtAl
I don't think it makes that much of a difference to be honest, if you have worthwhile things to say and you're losing characters because of it, leave the spaces out.

It makes it far easier to read. It's worth the sacrifice of the 300 or so characters you lose by leaving four blank lines.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Definitely.

It makes it far easier to read. It's worth the sacrifice of the 300 or so characters you lose by leaving four blank lines.

Do you really lose 300 or so characters by leaving a line? I was under the impression a line consists of one character! I certainly wouldn't sacrifice 300 characters from my application.
Original post by MattKneale
Do you really lose 300 or so characters by leaving a line? I was under the impression a line consists of one character! I certainly wouldn't sacrifice 300 characters from my application.

No, you lose 93 characters by leaving one blank line. I'm assuming there will be about four of them :smile:
When you put it in apply it puts it all together anyway with no spaces.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Jack22031994

But then you put the spaces in...
I did but I don't think it makes a difference.
Original post by Jack22031994

Seen that claim made before :tongue:
I did. Personally I think it helps to break up your points and helps keep things concise.

However, if you're sacrificing worthwhile stuff that you feel you definitely need to include, maybe think twice.
Original post by Potally_Tissed

Seen that claim made before :tongue:

No after you save it I mean

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending