The Student Room Group

Psychology Or Drama A Level

so currently i am doing English Lit/ Psychology / Sociology. But i am currently thinking about doing Drama A Level too. The only problem is that psychology and drama happen at the same time - meaning I can't do both. Drama has always been a huge passion of mine and it makes me really happy and my teacher says I'll probably get an A*. Meanwhile Psychology has always interested me and I haven't done it before and It will help me with the university course I want to do at (Criminology and Law). But its a ton of writing and I'm already doing 3 essay subjects. Please can someone give me some advice, that would be very much appreciated
I wouldn't say one is definitely better than the other but do consider the transferrable skills. If you don't explicitly need either (which it sounds like you wouldn't) then don't base it too much around that.

Psychology is a more academic subject and is therefore often favourable. However, it has an element of similarity/overlap with Sociology which means that Drama adds more variety to your options. The confidence and public speaking of drama would be beneficial, but so would the social/personal understanding of Psychology, which puts that fairly equal, to my view.

I'd recommend checking the university websites for your course. See what they prefer, if anything, and if there's anything they don't accept (very rare, to my knowledge, and usually only General Studies). Talk to teachers and form tutors/ head of sixth form. Good luck, and don't stress over it too much!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Spring12321
so currently i am doing English Lit/ Psychology / Sociology. But i am currently thinking about doing Drama A Level too. The only problem is that psychology and drama happen at the same time - meaning I can't do both. Drama has always been a huge passion of mine and it makes me really happy and my teacher says I'll probably get an A*. Meanwhile Psychology has always interested me and I haven't done it before and It will help me with the university course I want to do at (Criminology and Law). But its a ton of writing and I'm already doing 3 essay subjects. Please can someone give me some advice, that would be very much appreciated

Firstly just do what makes you happy and enjoy. Psychology you have to do a lot of essays and have to remember every key vocabularies. You have to do 5 theories altogether including research method in first year of a level and then 2 or 3 (i think???) in second year oomph. Its a difficult topic but an interesting one too. Drama you get to do acting and not much writing but have to do some essays to. If you want to become an actor/actress technically you don't need qualifications to do acting see. However if you want to become a psychologist it takes 7 years to become one. Oof. And it actually depends on what type of psychologist you want to be according to internet either eight or twelve years. Whereas in Drama acting it takes two years. By the way the subjects you choose are really interesting!:biggrin: If you are actually unsure i suggest you should talk to your drama teacher and psychology teacher as they will be reasonable and assure with you-i did that too. Your teacher said you will get an A* in drama (as its sounds easier than psychology) so if you really want an A* then you should do it! You are really smart!(smarter than me lol!:biggrin:)
Idrk see i'm also an a level student taking 3 a levels which is psychology, drama and biology in which i want to do acting in the future and i also need a backup plan for the future if acting doesn't work out for me which is pharmacy in order to do that i need to take chemistry and idk which one to drop out psychology or drama(stressful!!)If i did 4 A levels then my life would be easier for me but since i am not a smart person and didn't achieve 7 A*s or As only 2 As i cant do 4 A levels and have to do three. And now I'm debating the hardest decision whether or not shall i drop drama or psychology. Most people i know says i should drop drama and now my life is stresssing!
Im not an expert at this but thats all ik so far! Sorry!good luck with everything!

Quick Reply

Latest