The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Clare555
Hi, would you recommend any accommodation for first year? I’m moving from Northern Ireland and nervous about meeting people :smile:

If you're looking to meet people from your course then I would say that the best accommodation to stay in is the uni's accommodation on campus. It's really handy for classes because the uni is literally like a two minute walk from your accommodation and that's where most people stay in first year so you will meet loads of people from your course. The accommodation is quite basic and probably not as nice as some of the private ones in Edinburgh but its really accessible and has supermarkets like aldi, lidl and tesco nearby which is good as most of the ones in Edinburgh which are around the city centre only have small tescos and sainsburys around if that makes sense. Another reason why I would recommend staying on campus in first year is that the uni isn't in the centre of ediburgh so you would have to get a train in for all your classes and trains are kind of irregular (only 1 or 2 an hour) and they can get cancelled or disrupted which is a pain. Personally I found that people staying off campus on my course were a bit more isolated just because they maybe weren't able to join in with much of the stuff we were doing together such as flat parties or going to the student union so in terms of meeting people on your course I would say that staying on campus is best but ultimately its up to you
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Reply 41
i've firmly accepted my offer fro diagnostic radiography today, just wondering if anyone else has yet?
Hi, I received an offer for occupational therapy last week and was wondering if anyone else had heard back??
Original post by Sm10012
Hi, I got an offer for MSc Dietetics 🥳 what have you applied for, undergrad or postgrad? 😊

Congratulations! I got an offer for undergrad Master of Dietetics a couple of weeks ago! 😊😊 did you apply for undergrad or postgrad?
Just got my offer for “master of podiatry”, finally got me second choice; super happy ☺️
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Tianax
Yes definitely, I love the course and the lecturers are really nice and really supportive. Obviously because of covid its not been the best but the uni has been really good in giving us 2 in-person classes a week (as far as I know Cali and rgu students are completely online) which just meant that I felt more prepared to go on placement as I had seen the X-ray machine properly before and stuff. The facilities are really great and you get to have a play about on portable X-ray machines as well as the actual big X-ray machine. You will find that your cohort will be quite small (there's 32 in my year I think) so you will get to know everyone quite well and the lecturers will also get to know you quite well which is nice. in terms of workload and academics, its not too bad but I have found that there is quite a lot of physics and it has been quite hard learning it online but the lecturers are always there to help and if you email them a question they're usually quite quick in answering it for you. Overall I'm really enjoying the course and you can message me if you have any more questions

Hi :smile:

I have an offer on the Master of Dietetics course and I am really struggling to choose between QMU or Glasgow Caledonian.
I had a few questions that you might be able to answer.

I was wondering how you find going to a smaller uni and if there are many mature students that go to QMU? How big are the class sizes in the shared modules like physiology etc? (maybe you don't do that in radiography?)
Do you mind the campus being outside of the city?

Any advice to help make my decision easier would be a great help! :smile: Thanks
Reply 46
Original post by lola54
Hi :smile:

I have an offer on the Master of Dietetics course and I am really struggling to choose between QMU or Glasgow Caledonian.
I had a few questions that you might be able to answer.

I was wondering how you find going to a smaller uni and if there are many mature students that go to QMU? How big are the class sizes in the shared modules like physiology etc? (maybe you don't do that in radiography?)
Do you mind the campus being outside of the city?

Any advice to help make my decision easier would be a great help! :smile: Thanks

hey happy to answer your questions🙂 In terms of the uni size, it is quite a small uni but I think it's kind of nice because the lecturers get to know you really well and you get to know everyone on your course really well too. I wouldn't say that there are too many mature students (I've probably got about 3 on my course and there is about 32 on my course) and for our shared modules the class sizes vary I think my smallest shared module was anatomy and physiology and there were about 60 on that and my biggest one was one about being an allied health professional there was probably about 100 people on that. As for the campus being outside the city, there are pros and cons to it. some of the pros I would say is that cost of living is cheaper, there are more big supermarkets around, its a bit quieter at night since its located in a sort of suburban area and its close to the beach which is nice for walks and stuff. The cons probably are that its a bit further away from the night life (6 mins on train or 30 mins on bus) and the fact that trains can be irregular usually there's only one or two an hour. Also the trains stop at around 11pm so if your on a night out you basically have to get the bus back or you can get a taxi. Im from Glasgow so I'm a bit biased lol but I would say that the nightlife and stuff to do is probably better in Glasgow but to me qmu seemed nicer just because the course sizes are smaller and the campus is really nice. Hope this helps a bit in making your decision 🙂
Reply 47
Original post by Tianax
hey happy to answer your questions🙂 In terms of the uni size, it is quite a small uni but I think it's kind of nice because the lecturers get to know you really well and you get to know everyone on your course really well too. I wouldn't say that there are too many mature students (I've probably got about 3 on my course and there is about 32 on my course) and for our shared modules the class sizes vary I think my smallest shared module was anatomy and physiology and there were about 60 on that and my biggest one was one about being an allied health professional there was probably about 100 people on that. As for the campus being outside the city, there are pros and cons to it. some of the pros I would say is that cost of living is cheaper, there are more big supermarkets around, its a bit quieter at night since its located in a sort of suburban area and its close to the beach which is nice for walks and stuff. The cons probably are that its a bit further away from the night life (6 mins on train or 30 mins on bus) and the fact that trains can be irregular usually there's only one or two an hour. Also the trains stop at around 11pm so if your on a night out you basically have to get the bus back or you can get a taxi. Im from Glasgow so I'm a bit biased lol but I would say that the nightlife and stuff to do is probably better in Glasgow but to me qmu seemed nicer just because the course sizes are smaller and the campus is really nice. Hope this helps a bit in making your decision 🙂

That's so helpful thank you!
From the virtual open days I've attended the vibe I get is that you get to know people really well because of the size.

I've only visited Edinburgh once but didn't see the campus and I've never been to Glasgow so it's quite difficult to decide. Not being able to go and see places is annoying, I think I would be able to choose fairly quickly if I got the chance to see them!

I really like the idea of the beach being close by and lots of green spaces but I also like the idea of a bustling city like Glasgow.
Is the student union any good at QMU? I don't think GCU have the best student union reputation, I don't think they even have one, but I could be wrong on that.
Thanks again!
Reply 48
Yeah its been pretty rubbish that most people applying this year haven't got to see the uni as if I hadn't gone to see the qmu campus I probably would've just gone to Glasgow cali. The facilities are probably better at Glasgow cali just because they have the huge interprofessional simulation centre which is basically just a mini hospital with wards and stuff whereas at qmu most courses just have a couple rooms for their course. The student union at qmu is really good and serves really cheap food and drink for delivery/collection or you can sit in. Obviously because of covid we haven't really been able to experience it much but without covid there would usually be themed nights, movie/ game nights and all the freshers events usually happen there. The staff are very friendly and put a lot of effort into the events which is nice. overall its probably a really hard decision to make but I definitely don't regret choosing qmu over cali
Reply 49
Original post by Tianax
Yeah its been pretty rubbish that most people applying this year haven't got to see the uni as if I hadn't gone to see the qmu campus I probably would've just gone to Glasgow cali. The facilities are probably better at Glasgow cali just because they have the huge interprofessional simulation centre which is basically just a mini hospital with wards and stuff whereas at qmu most courses just have a couple rooms for their course. The student union at qmu is really good and serves really cheap food and drink for delivery/collection or you can sit in. Obviously because of covid we haven't really been able to experience it much but without covid there would usually be themed nights, movie/ game nights and all the freshers events usually happen there. The staff are very friendly and put a lot of effort into the events which is nice. overall its probably a really hard decision to make but I definitely don't regret choosing qmu over cali

Thank you for all your help :smile: I'll definitely take all of that into consideration when I'm making my decision.
QMU seem to be much more responsive and engaging so that's a plus already!
Has anyone firmed nursing for qmu??? I firmed my place yesterday 🥳
Reply 51
Has anyone else got offers for Master of Dietetics undergrad? 😊
Original post by reidy443
Has anyone firmed nursing for qmu??? I firmed my place yesterday 🥳

I have 🖐
Hey, I have offers for Napier and QMU and am struggling to decide. Does anyone have experience at both that they could compare?

Don't live far from either so distance, etc. isn't an issue. Thanks! x
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I have offers for Napier and QMU and am struggling to decide. Does anyone have experience at both that they could compare?

Don't live far from either so distance, etc. isn't an issue. Thanks! x

Congratulations on your offer! If there's anything that we can help with, please give us a shout!

Steph @ ENU
I got an offer for MSc Dietetics 🥳️ Does anyone know how people organise their accommodation around the placements? The website says they could be anywhere in Scotland and I'd like to avoid paying two rents 😅
Reply 56
Original post by CarolineHH
I got an offer for MSc Dietetics 🥳️ Does anyone know how people organise their accommodation around the placements? The website says they could be anywhere in Scotland and I'd like to avoid paying two rents 😅

Congratulation! Are you doing the postgraduate or undergraduate dietetics?

I think that you receive funding to help cover your accommodation and travel expenses when on placement :smile:
Original post by lola54
Congratulation! Are you doing the postgraduate or undergraduate dietetics?

I think that you receive funding to help cover your accommodation and travel expenses when on placement :smile:

Thank you :h: Postgrad. Oo, that would be very helpful! Is it separate to the £5k per year Allied Health Prof grant?

Congratulations to you too!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by CarolineHH
Thank you :h: Postgrad. Oo, that would be very helpful! Is it separate to the £5k per year Allied Health Prof grant?

Congratulations to you too!

It's unfortunately only in England that the £5k per year grant is given. I'm pretty sure that's correct anyway!
Hey, anyone applied for MSLT? :smile:

Latest