The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Official Swansea University 2021 applicant thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
is it just which uni is better for you or the accomodation and stuff? i live in Cardiff too 🥳 but i know Swansea's a lot wetter.

It's kind of all of it, I want to go into biomedical research, possibly medicine but not sure. I just don't know which uni has the best degree outcome, I want to get a good degree and Swansea seems like the better uni for experience but Cardiff seems better for the course. But I want to move away from home at the same time😂 I'm just really confused and don't know which one to pick. Cardiff was always known as the best uni in Wales and now all of a sudden Swansea is top.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Original post by LB2305
It's kind of all of it, I want to go into biomedical research, possibly medicine but not sure. I just don't know which uni has the best degree outcome, I want to get a good degree and Swansea seems like the better uni for experience but Cardiff seems better for the course. But I want to move away from home at the same time😂 I'm just really confused and don't know which one to pick. Cardiff was always known as the best uni in Wales and now all of a sudden Swansea is top.

same dilemma here, but we can still live in Cardiff accomodation, even for the first year since students later house share and stuff. I think why Cardiff Uni was always known was because it's in the capital city & it opened a century before Swansea Uni did. I also looked at the Russel group status which you get for world leading research (I'm pretty certain) but what research? it's psychiatric & psychology + something else not biomedical research. yeah it's been some time since, they could've improved but their silver TEF standard says a LOT versus Swansea who're neck to neck with a Gold TEF standard. while they've got staff who're good at research, Swansea's teach much better. when u look at it with the view that Cardiff's been better bc it's been prioritised more, it's in the capital it has to bring people in which is has, Swansea's amazing for surpassing them and rivaling them. I've gone to many Cardiff uni open days (mostly for the freebies but cos course info and stuff change obviously) & there was a scheme they just started with my highschool as it's trial last year in Nov actually, the professional work place scheme for 5 days in professional services. if anything, their libraries are amazing but again I attribute that to Cardiff being the capital city & it opening a century earlier.
just to add, Cardiff Met is great for Biomedical, I think on par with Cardiff. not sure about Swansea bc I heard my bio teacher telling my friend when we were talking about our choices & courses
just to add, Cardiff Met is great for Biomedical, I think on par with Cardiff. not sure about Swansea bc I heard my bio teacher telling my friend when we were talking about our choices & courses

💀💀 she's a Cardiff uni alumi too I haven't forgotten anything else. sorry for the spam everyone.
lol one of my main reasons is that Swan has those Santander bikes. my cousin rode one when my fam went to the visit them in London last year. They're £2 for the whole day compared to Cardiff's NextBike where u wrack up the cost the longer u rent it 💀 without my glasses growing up i was very clumsy so my mum can't yap at me bc £2 isn't a lot
(edited 3 years ago)
same dilemma here, but we can still live in Cardiff accomodation, even for the first year since students later house share and stuff. I think why Cardiff Uni was always known was because it's in the capital city & it opened a century before Swansea Uni did. I also looked at the Russel group status which you get for world leading research (I'm pretty certain) but what research? it's psychiatric & psychology + something else not biomedical research. yeah it's been some time since, they could've improved but their silver TEF standard says a LOT versus Swansea who're neck to neck with a Gold TEF standard. while they've got staff who're good at research, Swansea's teach much better. when u look at it with the view that Cardiff's been better bc it's been prioritised more, it's in the capital it has to bring people in which is has, Swansea's amazing for surpassing them and rivaling them. I've gone to many Cardiff uni open days (mostly for the freebies but cos course info and stuff change obviously) & there was a scheme they just started with my highschool as it's trial last year in Nov actually, the professional work place scheme for 5 days in professional services. if anything, their libraries are amazing but again I attribute that to Cardiff being the capital city & it opening a century earlier.

completely agree with anon here (I live in Cardiff too!!) and kinda unrelated but what I'm hoping is that the employers who haven't realised yet do realise being a RG uni doesnt mean they're better than other uni's at everything?? like honestly, it's so annoying. The syllabus is the same as the UK gov give it to them all so like, grrr.

Also grrr because my phone is lagging very hard at the moment 💀
Reply 26
💀💀 she's a Cardiff uni alumi too I haven't forgotten anything else. sorry for the spam everyone.

Thank you so much, that was actually so helpful! Which Uni do you think is better for the biomedical course? also are you applying this year?
Reply 27
Original post by Pengwyn<3
completely agree with anon here (I live in Cardiff too!!) and kinda unrelated but what I'm hoping is that the employers who haven't realised yet do realise being a RG uni doesnt mean they're better than other uni's at everything?? like honestly, it's so annoying. The syllabus is the same as the UK gov give it to them all so like, grrr.

Also grrr because my phone is lagging very hard at the moment 💀

Swansea just seems like its a lot more fun and lively than Cardiff, Cardiff seems a bit boring and dull😂 I know that's the thing im stressing about too, cause I don't want my degree to be seen as worse because it is not a Russel Group Uni. Swansea is definitely skyrocketing in the charts at the moment and are really excelling in medicine, engineering and computer science areas. Thank you so much for all the help!
Original post by LB2305
Thank you so much, that was actually so helpful! Which Uni do you think is better for the biomedical course? also are you applying this year?

you're welcome! i am applying this year for biology because there isn't anything i specifically love or marvel at. said high school out of habit because I'm continued into their sixth form, sorry XD.
take into account I'm applying for biology & i don't have extensive knowledge of biomedical courses and the uni's in that regard. what i do know however is that Cardiff met's are accredited by the royal society of biology & the biomedicine one. Cardiff Uni don't seem to have any accreditations on their biological courses (*squint*) and swans biomed too. You can ask because again, i don't have extensive knowledge. I highly, highly HIGHLY recommend emailing the staff or that course's admission tutor(s). You can use Swans's live chat which is linked in the Swans' enquires account a bit above. My bio teacher did imply Cardiff Met's is currently better and my friend did say they knew and were leaning towards it.
Do more research about Cardiff Met cos i don't know anything about their environment except they're kinda like, in between Cardiff uni & swans in the environment area but again, do your research because i don't have extensive knowledge. I do recall in the swans prospectus they do full body dissection. I think its like, from the bottom to the top or something throughout the 3 years. check that with the other universities too.

Original post by Pengwyn<3
lol one of my main reasons is that Swan has those Santander bikes. my cousin rode one when my fam went to the visit them in London last year. They're £2 for the whole day compared to Cardiff's NextBike where u wrack up the cost the longer u rent it 💀 without my glasses growing up i was very clumsy so my mum can't yap at me bc £2 isn't a lot

haha, yeah. i haven't used them yet. Been meaning to. I haven't applied yet cos i really want to maximise the deadline. that said, im not living in accom for the first year. 1, i'd definitely struggle with homesickness with my mischievous younger bros & parents. plus I've got to help them get things settled and ready without like, ditching them with the house suddenly? like i do help keep thing in check i dont wanna leave it and hear everything being a mess lol. have been trying to persuade them but yeah, i arguably dont mind missing out the student life accompanied with living in accom in first year :>
Original post by LB2305
Swansea just seems like its a lot more fun and lively than Cardiff, Cardiff seems a bit boring and dull😂 I know that's the thing im stressing about too, cause I don't want my degree to be seen as worse because it is not a Russel Group Uni. Swansea is definitely skyrocketing in the charts at the moment and are really excelling in medicine, engineering and computer science areas. Thank you so much for all the help!

"bit boring and dull" is very true to be honest. I was looking at the advanced welsh baccalaureate briefs on the exam board's website and Cardiff's were a lot more academic/figure-y and community-y. I'd much prefer Swansea. The surrounding's a big plus & the course staff I met on open day were great. Hoping the others are the same fingers crossed
sorry i keep forgetting things, i know spams can be annoying but do you guys do any wider reading or anything similar?

I listen to quite a few podcasts (i like how I can hear their passion which makes it a better experience than news articles and papers and stuff because they're just words, y'know?) The Nature Podcast is my go-to ahead a few others. its more natural science -- i mean i like hearing about the other sciences bc they are amazing but i personally prefer the biology bits more :biggrin:
I only take biology a level with two other humanities. i cannot tell you how much relief i felt when i heard how much the chem students suffered under the 2 teachers teaching it. I had one of them for chem gcse & year and i wouldn't be motivated or smart enough to actually get through it like they are. I also think swans (i like typing & saying swans, its a very elegant nickname, thanks Pengwyn) are better in that regard because they are passionate, love what they do and they get everyone up to level by teaching from gcse to a level and beyond.
Reply 31
applied for mental health nursing in october and today received an interview invitation :biggrin: so excited!!! already got all my grades and stuff (previously gone to uni before - mature student!) so ffingerss crossed!!!!
1 week to prepare... i hate interviews so a tad nervous but mostly excited!
Original post by hawwie
applied for mental health nursing in october and today received an interview invitation :biggrin: so excited!!! already got all my grades and stuff (previously gone to uni before - mature student!) so ffingerss crossed!!!!
1 week to prepare... i hate interviews so a tad nervous but mostly excited!

That's amaaaaziiiinnggggg!!!! 🥳🎊🎊🎊
good luck!! 🍀
i can say with full confidence Swans' open day topped Cardiff Uni's by miles. the lady wouldn't answer the questions properly and avoided answering by stuffing us about their ground breaking research I don't caaaarrreer what I care about is if those same researchers can even teach good 😭😭😭
i can say with full confidence Swans' open day topped Cardiff Uni's by miles. the lady wouldn't answer the questions properly and avoided answering by stuffing us about their ground breaking research I don't caaaarrreer what I care about is if those same researchers can even teach good 😭😭😭

or at least the bioscience one.

or at least the bioscience one
Omg prev post is embarrassing ignore the duplicate 💀💀💀
Original post by LB2305

Thank you for your kind words! :colondollar:

I would definitely recommend having a chat with current students using our Ambassador chat, I just had a quick look for you and we have an Applied Medical Sciences student ambassador available to chat with :smile:

The Russell Group framework largely focuses on research, so it may be more important for those at a Postgraduate or Research level of study but at an Undergraduate level I would largely advise students to look at the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) and student satisfaction (NSS).

As an Applied Medical Science student in Swansea you would also be part of the Pathways to Medicine, students on this programme benefit from:
- A dedicated 2nd year module to prepare you for Graduate Entry Medicine including clinical placements, Medical School interview prep and GAMSAT tips.
- The opportunity of a guaranteed interview for our Graduate Entry Medicine programme with a lowered GAMSAT score (subject to satisfactory performance)

A lot of this also comes down to personal preferences and what suits you. Despite being a short distance from one another, Cardiff and Swansea are ultimately different places with distinct characteristics. Would you prefer a Campus or City university? would you favour the 'busier city life' of Cardiff or Swansea's smaller city and proximity to the coast?

We're hoping to run another Virtual Open Day in the near future so if you'd like to stay up to date I'd recommend signing up to our mailing list (and you can tailor your preferences!)

I hope this helps, if you have any questions then let me know!
- Mia :smile:
Reply 37
Hey guys! I'm currently studying Bio,Chem and Psych at A levels and wanting to study Zoology at Uni. Swansea is looking amazing so far! Definitely applying : ))
has anyone applied yet?
Reply 39
has anyone applied yet?

I have! I’ve received all 5 of my offers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest