The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Official Swansea University 2021 applicant thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone!

What course are you applying for? Chemistry (with a foundation year)
What subjects are you studying now? -> Psychology, Chemistry and Physics with predicted grades ABD respectively
Have you visited Swansea before? No, unfortunately! :frown:

I got my offer yesterday! :woo:
(edited 3 years ago)
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has applied to do nursing in Swansea 2021? And if anyone has received an offer yet? :smile:
Just got my offer for biochemistry, I applied 3 days ago
originally ABB but they offered me BBB!! buzzing
Reply 63
hiii <3
i’m currently studying: english literature + language combined, film studies, travel + tourism and creative media studies. i’m predicted BBA + Distinction.
i’ve applied and put swansea as my first choice for marketing with a year abroad.
i haven’t visited swansea before but i’m excited to visit soon!
(stay safe!!! <3)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
yes please!! pretty certain every applicant on this thread hasn’t visited yet so it would be nice to know more

Here I go forgetting again, I am so sorry

The Singleton campus, compared to a lot of other unis I visited, is itself more compact than most, which I view as a good thing as opposed to some unis I visited where you had to walk 30 minutes or more each day between accommodation and campus. However, as I said, it is surrounded by the beach on one side just across a road and enormous Singleton Park on the other which is very pretty. Fulton House contains a lot of the main SU things like the bar and the shop and a Costcutter; not that I've been to the bar, gotta love regulations :smile::smile: or indeed very much else. There could be more I don't even know about. I have been to the library on an open day and can say it is *massive*, has something like a million books in it, but haven't yet been able to use it as a student.

Buses into the city are very regular- even this year we've had buses every, like, 5 minutes on average on weekdays- and the city itself is something I can talk a lot about given I've always lived relatively nearby. Wind Street is kinda iconic for its pubs and clubs and general drinking centre, but on the other side of things there's an expanse of shopping places (the Quadrant for example). Again, compared to most uni cities it is a small centre, but equally it does have a lot in it...most of which I can't wait to actually make use of properly.

So yeah. It's a small but nice campus close to a small but nice city, in short. Large parts of the centre are undergoing some kinda mass regeneration at present and parts of it- particularly those you pass on your way down to Singleton- just look like one enormous building site. I don't even know what's being built. My point being, anyway, that there might be new things there by the time you arrive in September that I don't even know are going to exist, so there's also that.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hi everyone!

What course are you applying for? Chemistry (with a foundation year)
What subjects are you studying now? -> Psychology, Chemistry and Physics with predicted grades ABD respectively
Have you visited Swansea before? No, unfortunately! :frown:

I got my offer yesterday! :woo:

...do I hear a chemistry applicant? Aha, hello, first year chemist at Swansea here! Any questions about anything?

(I did not think I'd find a chemistry applicant here. That's actually made me pretty happy)
Reply 66
Original post by ella.h2000
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has applied to do nursing in Swansea 2021? And if anyone has received an offer yet? :smile:

I have!l applied for nursing... mental health! No offer yet though.... getting nervous and worried now :frown: hearing loads of people getting offers now at other places. My interview was in November
Original post by hawwie
I have!l applied for nursing... mental health! No offer yet though.... getting nervous and worried now :frown: hearing loads of people getting offers now at other places. My interview was in November

I’ve applied for adult nursing! Same my interview was start of December and haven’t heard anything :/ the wait is awful! I’ve had an offer from university of South Wales. Don’t worry too much by the sound of it Swansea take ages to respond xx
Reply 68
I’ve applied for adult nursing! Same my interview was start of December and haven’t heard anything :/ the wait is awful! I’ve had an offer from university of South Wales. Don’t worry too much by the sound of it Swansea take ages to respond xx

I also applied for there :frown: ahhhh i hate waiting!!! Xx
Original post by hawwie

I’m sure you will start hearing back soon they have loads of interviews to get through still, applications haven’t even closed yet! Xx I know it’s awful not knowing :frown: just try and stay positive :smile: xx
Hi. I am a mature student (nearly 40 😩) and currently studying Access to HE in Biosciences (biology, chemistry and biochemistry) . I am just waiting for my reference to be written and my application to be sent off. I also live in Cardiff and am applying for Zoology at Swansea. I actually applied and got an offer last academic year but I needed the Access qualification first. So I applied for the Access course at my local college last February and started in September. I'm really enjoying it so far, although a return to learning after a long period of time AND during a global pandemic has been somewhat interesting. 🤔 I attended a Swansea University open day just before Covid made it's very ugly appearance and I absolutely loved it. I completely fell in love with the place and wondered why I hadn't discovered such an amazing uni and department earlier. The academic talks from the lecturers and Lizzie Daly were just brilliant. I mean wow!! They were fascinating and engaging and I learned all about very clever and very naughty elephants in Africa. 😂 So yeah Swansea is definitely top of my list.
Original post by Bahaa'
Hey guys! I'm currently studying Bio,Chem and Psych at A levels and wanting to study Zoology at Uni. Swansea is looking amazing so far! Definitely applying : ))

Hi. I'm applying for Zoology at Swansea too. But definitely not Cardiff. I looked into it but the course content is very different and doesn't appeal as much. I'm very picky. Ha ha. I've just introduced myself on the thread so feel free to check it out. 😊 Best of luck with your A Levels and application.
Hey, I take English Language, English Lit, Geography and I did an AS level 3 maths course last year. I’ve got offers from Swansea, Cardiff and Lancaster (all AAB) - still not sure what to go for though 👽👽
Original post by MidnightSymphony
...do I hear a chemistry applicant? Aha, hello, first year chemist at Swansea here! Any questions about anything?

(I did not think I'd find a chemistry applicant here. That's actually made me pretty happy)

Hi @MidnightSymphony!

I’m extremely sorry about the late reply. I’ve been very busy these last few days!

I’m so glad I found someone at Swansea University studying Chemistry! A few questions if you don’t mind!

1. What is there to do on campus? Unfortunately, due to COVID I haven’t been able to visit but a description would be nice.
2. How many hours a week would you say you spend studying?
3. I’m not taking A-Level Mathematics. Will I struggle? I’m planning on learning a few of the concepts before I start university but an overview of the Chemistry degree would be nice.

That’s all I can think of right now! Thanks for your help!
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hi @MidnightSymphony!

I’m extremely sorry about the late reply. I’ve been very busy these last few days!

I’m so glad I found someone at Swansea University studying Chemistry! A few questions if you don’t mind!

1. What is there to do on campus? Unfortunately, due to COVID I haven’t been able to visit but a description would be nice.
2. How many hours a week would you say you spend studying?
3. I’m not taking A-Level Mathematics. Will I struggle? I’m planning on learning a few of the concepts before I start university but an overview of the Chemistry degree would be nice.

That’s all I can think of right now! Thanks for your help!

OK so I'm going to start with your second question because I have a small caveat to mention here. I would advise, because Simon will probably advise you, that you spend the same amount of time studying outside of classes that you spend in classes. Now, for me, I have 20ish contact hours a week of mostly Zoom classes at present, however firstly I never did the foundation course, and secondly our timetables have been changed this year for obvious reasons and our number of lab hours has been reduced, so things will be different for you when you are on first year of the main course- and I can't be too exact about it, because I am not 100% sure how much we've had cut out. (Being honest, I don't know exactly how long I spend studying, I'm a mess with my timing). I would like to emphasise though, plan to plan, if that makes sense. We got set a group presentation on the first day of classes, and as such you need to be able to time manage right from the outset.

Aha- unfortunately, due to COVID, I haven't been to anything on campus xD buuut I know of the student bar which is apparently really good when it is open. Library is massive (haven't been in it since being a student), there are loads of study spaces (which I haven't been able to visit), and there's a shop and SU shop which is typical of any uni. There isn't a massive amount on campus, truth be told, but the city's range of things to do and its short proximity from the campus makes up for that (and there are buses going all the time)

Question three- in short, no, you will not. It might be worth looking over some of the basic things, but even on the first year course, part of the Term 1 content has been a weekly maths class as a catch-up thing for those who didn't do A Level maths, so the foundation year will probably be even more supportive.

I can go more into detail on the first year if you like. Unfortunately as I mentioned though, I can't really talk excessively about the foundation because I never did it. Hope all that helps!
Original post by hawwie

Hi @hawwie, I know the wait is the worse part, it will all be worth it in in the end! So pleased you have an offer from the University of South Wales for adult nursing. If I can help further, please do let me know. Rebecca :smile:
Is anyone planning on putting Swansea as their insurance for psychology?

Hi! I've applied for Mental Health Nursing for September 2021. I was told I should hear back by March. I haven't heard anything yet. 😖

EDIT: I had my interview toward the end of November.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by azrashay
Hi! I've applied for Mental Health Nursing for September 2021. I was told I should hear back by March. I haven't heard anything yet. 😖

EDIT: I had my interview toward the end of November.

Oh same! They didn't tell me March though.. oh I hope I hear soon.
Original post by hawwie
Oh same! They didn't tell me March though.. oh I hope I hear soon.

They didn't tell me at the interview but I've since emailed admissions and that was their reply.

I am a bit concerned though because my interview lasted a grand total of 11 minutes. 💀 How did you find yours? Have you booked for an online open day?

Quick Reply

Latest