The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hedgehunter
They think they are not going to include them in offers in 2010, just see how it goes.

:yep: But being predicted them, I think, will make them like you more, especially Oxford, because Oxford apparently places a lot of emphasis on potential.
MarcusLL
What constitutes to you having a 'serious chance'?

Well he said that my GCSE's may prove a hinderence, but since i scored 100% in several of my modules (one economics and one politics funnily enough) at AS, and I interview well, I should be fine.

Also let me point out, people on this forum always say applying to the outside colleges is exactly the same as the big ones. That also is crap, you are far better off applying to the less prestigious ones if you want to get in as they attract the "lower end" of the oxbridge spectrum.
Reply 42
necessarily benevolent
As much as I dislike this fellow he has a point. No-one ever has a 'serious chance' prior to the admissions process. A reasonable chance, maybe, but not serious.

Huh? People do have a serious chance. If you have amazing grades (GCSEs + UMS's) then obv. you have an amazing chance. I was just making that comment to that previous poster because i dont believe he has a 'serious chance'.
Solid_Snake_100
Well he said that my GCSE's may prove a hinderence, but since i scored 100% in several of my modules (one economics and one politics funnily enough) at AS, and I interview well, I should be fine.

Also let me point out, people on this forum always say applying to the outside colleges is exactly the same as the big ones. That also is crap, you are far better off applying to the less prestigious ones if you want to get in as they attract the "lower end" of the oxbridge spectrum.

If the TSA is anything like the HAT then a particular score means you'll be invited for interview. That means that if you have this score you'll be reallocated to a different college anyway if that particular one is oversubscribed, not rejected.
Reply 44
Solid_Snake_100

Fine? Interviewing well? Counting your eggs before they hatch I think.
^^Oh, PS I forgot to add that PPE has an entrance examination too based on thinking assessment. This counts a LOT. Obviously I dont want to be arrogant, when i said "serious", I meant i stood a good chance of getting in if I kept working at it. For some people, they think that chance is there but realistically it isn't.
MarcusLL
Fine? Interviewing well? Counting your eggs before they hatch I think.

lol, we have interview training actually. Some of the tutors used to teach at oxford, they know what they are doing :smile:
MarcusLL
Huh? People do have a serious chance. If you have amazing grades (GCSEs + UMS's) then obv. you have an amazing chance. I was just making that comment to that previous poster because i dont believe he has a 'serious chance'.

No, if you have amazing grades (I think it's over 7A*s and 90%+ UMS in relevant AS modules) you're automatically pooled, but this doesn't mean definite acceptance (I think it's a third of pooled applicants accepted). You're interviewed again, and if you fail this hurdle (combined with a weak interview the first time round) you'd be rejected. So yes, a better chance but still not an amazing chance.
Reply 48
Oxbridge seem to only place a emphasis on A levels; to an extent anyway so try your best and hope! :tongue:
Reply 49
beachboi
2A*,7A,1B good enough for a school with a 40% pass rate?

Yeh v. good.
necessarily benevolent
If the TSA is anything like the HAT then a particular score means you'll be invited for interview. That means that if you have this score you'll be reallocated to a different college anyway if that particular one is oversubscribed, not rejected.

No, you wont get reallocated, you get interviewed at your college of choice, and they will pool you based on the interview (so if you did well, they might send you to a "better college" so that they can see the standard of the first), and you may get an offer at the second. This is merely so colleges can be more universal in talent, as previously there was media bias of elitist and then the worse colleges.
Reply 51
I got A*A*AAAABBC @ GCSE and got into Oxbridge 2006 entry. I am doing PPE.
Solid_Snake_100
No, you wont get reallocated, you get interviewed at your college of choice, and they will pool you based on the interview (so if you did well, they might send you to a "better college" so that they can see the standard of the first), and you may get an offer at the second. This is merely so colleges can be more universal in talent, as previously there was media bias of elitist and then the worse colleges.

I mean pre-interview pooling. Are you referring to the pooling during interview? If a college is oversubscribed but there are people above a particular HAT score (I can only comment on my subject I'm afraid) they'll be reallocated to a lesser college.

Andrea Hopkins - History Admissions Officer
The HAT desummoning score is the same for all colleges. The system provides that colleges who have filled their places with higher ranking
candidates pass on the other good applicants to less popular colleges.
The method of calculating rank in Admissions is also consistent across
all colleges. The aim is that no candidate should be disadvantaged by
applying to any particular college.
Reply 53
necessarily benevolent
I mean pre-interview pooling. Are you referring to the pooling during interview? If a college is oversubscribed but there are people above a particular HAT score (I can only comment on my subject I'm afraid) they'll be reallocated to a lesser college.

That doesn't really matter though. Practically everyone gets through to the interview... Well, that's what I heard.
necessarily benevolent

Ahh ok. No that doesnt happen. There is no pre-interview pooling, only after your interview at the first choice college.
Solid_Snake_100
Ahh ok. No that doesnt happen. There is no pre-interview pooling, only after your interview at the first choice college.

But in that case aren't colleges like Magdalen and Merton absolutely chockablock when interviewing where the likes of St. Catz have very few applicants to get through at first?
Sk1lLz
That doesn't really matter though. Practically everyone gets through to the interview... Well, that's what I heard.

The HAT culls the bottom 20%. Around 52% is required to get an interview apparently.
Reply 57
necessarily benevolent
The HAT culls the bottom 20%. Around 52% is required to get an interview apparently.

Okay, fair enough. Why do some colleges have more applicants than others anyway?
Sk1lLz
Okay, fair enough. Why do some colleges have more applicants than others anyway?

For various reasons. They're better located, they're aesthetically pleasing, they provide quality accomodation for the duration of the course etc. Basically, they're more popular.
necessarily benevolent
But in that case aren't colleges like Magdalen and Merton absolutely chockablock when interviewing where the likes of St. Catz have very few applicants to get through?

In some cases, but you have to remember that a lot of people are also neurotic about admissions statistics and apply to the ones which had the highest percentage of successful applicants last year. The amount applying at each colleges fluctuates year by year. Balliol is famous for PPE, yet far more people get interviewed at some other colleges simply because people think it is too hard for them. THus overall, the amount applying to the various places is very random.

Latest

Trending

Trending