The Student Room Group

Help with exploring different cultures

Hello! I'm interested in exploring different cultures and different mindsets but I'm finding it hard to find a way to do this naturally? I have been to societies like ISOC (Islamic society) and been to many events to learn more about Islam itself and the kinds of people who practice it (If that makes sense?) however, there is still a lot I don't know...I'm also interested in SE Asian culture and different ways of thinking they may have there. I'm a little conflicted though, I don't feel like making friends with someone solely due to their cultural background is ethical even if I'm interested in learning. They are a human after all not some token and I want to make real friends.
So I ask the people of TSR from all backgrounds how do I go about immersing myself in different cultures and understanding them as well. I know a bit of Mandarin Chinese if that helps? I'm interested in all cultures so if you consider yourself to be from a culture that is largely misunderstood or unknown please drop your thoughts and feelings.
Just read Nakamura, Hajime (1964), Ways of Thinking of Eastern Peoples: India, China, Tibet, Japan, University of Hawaii Press for a start.

Speaking of Islam. I've been trained in formal logic during my philosophy studies, as well as in ancient Greek, Latin, and to some extent I was educated about other Biblical languages. I find no logic the religions of the Middle East. The cultures might be insteresting, but in any case it's more or less, how they adapted to different conditions and solving different problems. This is actually the more interesting part, because these religions of the Middle East, is more about, how many myths can you steal from completely different cultures, how bad translations can you make, and how silly imaginations can you make if only your knowledge is below the imaginary level of modern incompetence. It's literally like: 'Oh, leaves have been moved by wind. Some spirit or demon must have been breathing there'.
Reply 2
Original post by BubbleBabby
Hello! I'm interested in exploring different cultures and different mindsets but I'm finding it hard to find a way to do this naturally? I have been to societies like ISOC (Islamic society) and been to many events to learn more about Islam itself and the kinds of people who practice it (If that makes sense?) however, there is still a lot I don't know...I'm also interested in SE Asian culture and different ways of thinking they may have there. I'm a little conflicted though, I don't feel like making friends with someone solely due to their cultural background is ethical even if I'm interested in learning. They are a human after all not some token and I want to make real friends.
So I ask the people of TSR from all backgrounds how do I go about immersing myself in different cultures and understanding them as well. I know a bit of Mandarin Chinese if that helps? I'm interested in all cultures so if you consider yourself to be from a culture that is largely misunderstood or unknown please drop your thoughts and feelings.

Like all religions, most people practice Islam because they were brought up to practice it by family and community. As they get older they will often tweak their belief to suit the culture they live in and their own innate, empathetic morality.
There is no "kind of person" who practices Islam. And there is no "Universal Islam" that is practiced by all Muslims.

The best way to learn about any extant culture is to experience it first hand.
Ideologies, on the other hand, are best learned about from original texts.
Is your main focus asian cultural appreciation, exploring the teachings of world religions, extending the diversity of your social circle or a combination of all three?

I love studying religions & theology, enjoy asian cuisine, bollywood and hope to visit amritsar & kerala one day.
I grew up around lots of desis, asian faith leaders and activists from a variety of backgrounds.
My best friend was born in India and works there.
My mother used to take me to her interfaith meetings and grassroots groups, often held in religious premises or faith leaders homes.

I rarely visit religious premises as an adult but sometimes go to events held by interfaith groups.
Open house events can be a great way of touring religious buildings like the baitul futuh ahmaddiyah centre, shri swaminarayan mandir (neasden temple), oshwal centre and buddhapadipa temple.
Original post by londonmyst
Is your main focus asian cultural appreciation, exploring the teachings of world religions, extending the diversity of your social circle or a combination of all three?

I love studying religions & theology, enjoy asian cuisine, bollywood and hope to visit amritsar & kerala one day.
I grew up around lots of desis, asian faith leaders and activists from a variety of backgrounds.
My best friend was born in India and works there.
My mother used to take me to her interfaith meetings and grassroots groups, often held in religious premises or faith leaders homes.

I rarely visit religious premises as an adult but sometimes go to events held by interfaith groups.
Open house events can be a great way of touring religious buildings like the baitul futuh ahmaddiyah centre, shri swaminarayan mandir (neasden temple), oshwal centre and buddhapadipa temple.

All 3 I want to understand people from different backgrounds better if you understand? I'm sorry that my post wasn't clear i just know that I'm ignorant about other cultures and I'm trying to fix it
Original post by QE2
Like all religions, most people practice Islam because they were brought up to practice it by family and community. As they get older they will often tweak their belief to suit the culture they live in and their own innate, empathetic morality.
There is no "kind of person" who practices Islam. And there is no "Universal Islam" that is practiced by all Muslims.

The best way to learn about any extant culture is to experience it first hand.
Ideologies, on the other hand, are best learned about from original texts.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending