The Student Room Group

Will you get along easy in college?

I'm planning to move to another country for college and I will be away from my family and friends.
Anyone has similar experiences? What's your best advice to give me♡♡♡
Hey @Heading_dreams,

I didn't study in another country for the whole of my degree but I did study abroad for 1 year, so I thought I'd share a little bit about my experience, even if it's only 1 year. It was harder than I expected being away from family and friends but I also really liked the independence. To stay in touch with my family and friends I sent them loads of pictures, facetimed them each week and flew back home for holidays. Until you're living abroad, I don't think you'll know how often you will want to visit home, so you just have to go for it and see.

Although I did miss my family, I wouldn't change my experience at all. I loved studying abroad and it taught me things that I would never have learnt studying in my home country. I became so much more independent and resilient. Plus, I made lifelong friends, so even though I missed my friends at home, I made friends from all over the world. You form a really close bond with people at university, and it's even closer when you have all moved to a different country.

I hope that helps reassure that you will get along great!
Abbie
Hi!

In my experience, education abroad is an amazing adventure. Maybe even the adventure of a lifetime. I am a student from Poland, I moved to the UK to study here, and in September I am going to Spain for a student exchange. This is sufficient proof of how valuable and learning these experiences are.

Of course, it's not always colourful. In the beginning, there are a lot of days when you miss your loved ones, but the webcam chats and lots of photos on the wall or in the album really do it! And every return home is a great joy. I started to appreciate my loved ones and the time I spent with them more because I live away from them. Whenever I come home, I try to have quality time with them. In the end, I feel like I have a better relationship with them now than I ever have.

In addition, I really appreciate the cultural exchange and the opportunity to meet people from all over the world. I now have friends of different nationalities, and we keep in close contact online. When the opportunity arises, we meet in different parts of the world.

If you have the opportunity, go for it! If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them :biggrin:

Take care,

Julia :h:
Original post by Heading_dreams
I'm planning to move to another country for college and I will be away from my family and friends.

Hey @Heading_dreams how are you? :smile:

How exciting that you're planning on moving to another country! I can imagine how scary and daunting it may seem, but it also seems like such an incredible experience that you won't want to miss. Like others have said, arranging frequent facetime calls, texts to check in how everyone is, you could even organise fun things over zoom like quiz nights and all have a nice food and drink with you :smile:

You could go back home for holidays and in breaks, or even arrange for some family and friends to come out and visit you and make a little trip of it!

You could also collect things from your time away and send them back as a cute gift box present, filled with some memories or just some things you want to surprise them with - they could do the same and send over things they want you to read, try, have etc etc. Just fun little things to look forward to :smile:

I hope this has helped a little! Good luck with your studies

Becky
Original post by Heading_dreams

Hello there,

To begin with, it's totally normal to feel both excited and worried about relocating to another nation for education. Many of us international students have had similar situations and understand how you feel right now.

Leaving family and friends behind is a significant move, but it's also a fantastic opportunity for personal growth and new experiences. Here are some pointers to assist you navigate this fascinating trip which also helped me. Accept the opportunity to immerse oneself in a new culture. Be curious about your new country's traditions, people, and ways of life. It's a fantastic opportunity to extend your horizons.

Remember that you are not alone while you are away from your family and old friends. International students are typically well supported by universities. Reach out to other students, join clubs, and attend events; you'll meet new people who are going through similar experiences. Staying in touch with loved ones is now easier than ever thanks to technological advances. Schedule regular video conversations with family and friends to maintain such bonds.

I believe that being away from home allows you to become more independent and self-reliant. You'll learn how to manage your money, explore unfamiliar territory, and make crucial decisions, all of which are valuable life skills.

You should spend some time exploring your new city or town. Explore local sights, taste new foods, and go beyond campus. It will make you feel more at ease in your surroundings. It's normal to miss home, but don't let it define your experience. Keep yourself busy with activities you enjoy and concentrate on the positive features of your new surroundings.

College life, in my experience, may be hectic. Keep track of your studies, assignments, and due dates. This will not only help you excel academically, but it will also help you avoid unneeded stress. I believe that transitioning to a new country takes time. You will experience obstacles along the path, but each one will provide an opportunity to learn and improve.

Remember, you're about to go on an unbelievable journey that will shape you in ways you can't even conceive. Cherish the moments, accept the challenges, and seize every chance that comes your way. You've got this, and you're going to rock it!

Best wishes on your path to a more colourful life!

I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending