The Student Room Group

Making myself look extremely stupid in chemistry lessons

I am in Year 13, and one of my 3 subjects is chemistry. I am being taught by the same teacher who taught me in Y11 and Y12. In Year 12, I constantly started to make super idiotic/ absent minded/ 'lack of common sense' mistakes in the class, especially when carrying out practicals or when doing general activities. This only ever happens in this class for some reason.

As an example, I was ill on the day of a topic test so I had to come in and do it on the next day during lunch time. Only my teacher and I were in the room. About 15 mins into the test, another student came into the room, and the teacher started to speak to them. At this moment I am completely absorbed in the test, however I am still aware that another student is in the room. Then suddenly, the teacher says "right, come with me then", and I, out of nowhere, say "who, me?". This got me a really weird stare, and I realised how stupid I had made myself look. Why would the teacher ask me to move rooms during a test!? He wasn't even speaking to me!

I have made several mistakes such as the one above throughout year 12, and into year 13. The worst part is, the teacher has become accustomed to this foolish behaviour of mine, and every time he has let out a stifled laugh, which has just made me feel more awkward.

I understand that a silly mistake or two will be forgotten by most people around you at that time. However, I have made countless mistakes in front of this teacher, and created an image of myself, with all occurences ending in the same sneer. tbh going into chemistry class with this teacher has resulted in me having anxiety and thoughts like "what if I **** up again in some way!?" even the day before.

What can I do to turn around this image of mine?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by rsen1324
I am in Year 13, and one of my 3 subjects is chemistry. I am being taught by the same teacher who taught me in Y11 and Y12. In Year 12, I constantly started to make super idiotic/ absent minded/ 'lack of common sense' mistakes in the class, especially when carrying out practicals or when doing general activities. This only ever happens in this class for some reason.

As an example, I was ill on the day of a topic test so I had to come in and do it on the next day during lunch time. Only my teacher and I were in the room. About 15 mins into the test, another student came into the room, and the teacher started to speak to them. At this moment I am completely absorbed in the test, however I am still aware that another student is in the room. Then suddenly, the teacher says "right, come with me then", and I, out of nowhere, say "who, me?". This got me a really weird stare, and I realised how stupid I had made myself look. Why would the teacher ask me to move rooms during a test!? He wasn't even speaking to me!

I have made several mistakes such as the one above throughout year 12, and into year 13. The worst part is, the teacher has become accustomed to this foolish behaviour of mine, and every time he has let out a stifled laugh, which has just made me feel more awkward.

I understand that a silly mistake or two will be forgotten by most people around you at that time. However, I made countless mistakes in front of this teacher, ending in the same sneer, and tbh going into chemistry class with this teacher has resulted in me having anxiety and thoughts like "what if I **** up again in some way!?" even the day before.

Honestly, this reminds me of a really stupid mistake I made in secondary school when I was SUPER absorbed in some maths. The teacher literally just said to the class "everyone stop shouting out, you need to raise your hand. The next person to shout out gets a rule reminder". Somehow... I just didnt hear that because I was SO focused on the maths. I just out loud shouted a question, then looked around and realised the room was silent, then he scolded me. Oh gawd lol. He was like "didnt you hear what I just said". I was like "no.." and it felt like everyone was just thinking.. how the hell could you miss that? It probably just means you are really focused lol. It happens :biggrin:
Idk, this is a hard question to answer. I also very badly embarrassed myself in chemistry because I just simply lacked the knowledge, I had to drop the a level to be honest. There is no real way to recover your image. The best thing to do is laugh it off with them, because it is funny really, isnt it? :biggrin: In terms of recovering your image, try not to care what they think instead, that would be easier. And try not to panic, if you are worried about what kinds of mistakes you will make, you could get so worked up that that actually causes you to make mistakes. It's ok. We all have these moments, the stress of year 13 too. You stay awake and think of it at night, you live and learn. It's ok. Good luck op :heart:
Reply 2
Original post by nursingstudentuk
Honestly, this reminds me of a really stupid mistake I made in secondary school when I was SUPER absorbed in some maths. The teacher literally just said to the class "everyone stop shouting out, you need to raise your hand. The next person to shout out gets a rule reminder". Somehow... I just didnt hear that because I was SO focused on the maths. I just out loud shouted a question, then looked around and realised the room was silent, then he scolded me. Oh gawd lol. He was like "didnt you hear what I just said". I was like "no.." and it felt like everyone was just thinking.. how the hell could you miss that? It probably just means you are really focused lol. It happens :biggrin:
Idk, this is a hard question to answer. I also very badly embarrassed myself in chemistry because I just simply lacked the knowledge, I had to drop the a level to be honest. There is no real way to recover your image. The best thing to do is laugh it off with them, because it is funny really, isnt it? :biggrin: In terms of recovering your image, try not to care what they think instead, that would be easier. And try not to panic, if you are worried about what kinds of mistakes you will make, you could get so worked up that that actually causes you to make mistakes. It's ok. We all have these moments, the stress of year 13 too. You stay awake and think of it at night, you live and learn. It's ok. Good luck op :heart:

Thank you for the reply, it has really made feel like there is nothing to worry about. Honestly, I think that some of the stupid mistakes I made were due to me being super anxious. There were times in the class where I was making mistakes that were basic manners, if you get what I mean. I think that if I calm down before I go into class, and think logically the number of mistakes that I make will be reduced hopefully, and that might be the way to recover this image.

The mistakes I make are almost never to do with the subject itself , and more so with general/random activites such as handing out sheets etc. I'm not really struggling with the subject at all.

I understand that a silly mistake or two will be forgotten by most people around you at that time. However, I have made countless mistakes in front of this teacher, and created an image of myself, with all occurences ending in the same sneer. tbh going into chemistry class with this teacher has resulted in me having anxiety and thoughts like "what if I **** up again in some way!?" even the day before.

Stop making those mistakes. How to do that is a different question, but one that others can answer I'm sure.
Thank you for the reply, it has really made feel like there is nothing to worry about. Honestly, I think that some of the stupid mistakes I made were due to me being super anxious. There were times in the class where I was making mistakes that were basic manners, if you get what I mean. I think that if I calm down before I go into class, and think logically the number of mistakes that I make will be reduced hopefully, and that might be the way to recover this image.

The mistakes I make are almost never to do with the subject itself , and more so with general/random activites such as handing out sheets etc. I'm not really struggling with the subject at all.

Well, its great to hear you aren't struggling with the subject! That's fantastic, lol, especially given how difficult chemistry is. :biggrin::biggrin: Yes I think that's the right attitude, just remaining calm, taking a deep breath, and should anything go wrong? Just laugh it off :biggrin: Good luck :hugs:

AHAHA I couldn't stop cringing because it reminded me so much of myself :innocent: I'm in yr 13 rn as well and I honestly don't know how to make ppl not see my in this 'clumsy' (?) image
Reply 6
Original post by nursingstudentuk
Well, its great to hear you aren't struggling with the subject! That's fantastic, lol, especially given how difficult chemistry is. :biggrin::biggrin: Yes I think that's the right attitude, just remaining calm, taking a deep breath, and should anything go wrong? Just laugh it off :biggrin: Good luck :hugs:

Thank you!
Thank you!

np :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending