The Student Room Group

NHS Learning Support Fund.

I currently study podiatry which is supported by the NHSLSF. I have applied for this academic year 2020-2021. It has been approved so far. I am in the 2nd year of my course and this is my first time applying for the NHSLSF

I have read somewhere on their website that I can apply to claim for the previous year 2019-2020 as I was still studying podiatry then but I didn’t know I could get a support fund.

Can I claim for the previous year? If so how?
Reply 1
Hi I’m also a podiatry student and just moved onto my second year.

I can confirm that you WON’T be able to claim previous years I’m afraid, only the current academic year that you apply for since the fund was brought in.
Reply 2
Oh right okay thankss. Out of curiosity where are you studying podiatry?
Reply 3
Original post by Lpt17
Hi I’m also a podiatry student and just moved onto my second year.

I can confirm that you WON’T be able to claim previous years I’m afraid, only the current academic year that you apply for since the fund was brought in.

Oh right okay thankss. Out of curiosity where are you studying podiatry?
Hi, I am planning to apply for a podiatry degree starting 2021. I've not been about to find out if the learning support fund affects the amount you get for your maintenance loan? I would really need both the maintenance loan and the NHS funding to be able to afford the study so it's pretty important to be sure. Just can't get anyone official to tell me :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Lakajawi
Hi, I am planning to apply for a podiatry degree starting 2021. I've not been about to find out if the learning support fund affects the amount you get for your maintenance loan? I would really need both the maintenance loan and the NHS funding to be able to afford the study so it's pretty important to be sure. Just can't get anyone official to tell me :frown:

No the LSF will not effect your student finance maintenance loan it is completely separate! You will receive both.
Reply 6
I was wondering the same about the LSF and the maintenance loan. Would I still be able to apply for the same amount of maintenance loan that I would get if I wasn’t doing a healthcare degree or will I get less maint loan? Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by ams4203
I was wondering the same about the LSF and the maintenance loan. Would I still be able to apply for the same amount of maintenance loan that I would get if I wasn’t doing a healthcare degree or will I get less maint loan? Thanks

No, Student Finance England (SFE) and the LSF are two completely different things. Applying for SFE loan and maintenance loan is a different application and process. Your maintenance loan is calculated on things such as your living status/financial background for the household and the intensity of the course etc etc. The learning support fund (LSF) is a training grant (money incentive that you DON’T pay back) that you apply for this through the website, as long as you’re studying a profession that makes you eligible.
So to answer your question, no if your doing a healthcare profession degree you won’t be “penalised” for this in your maintenance loan if your getting the LSF as well. You get the LSF on top.
Reply 8
Greed at its finest lol sorry but snooze u lose.
Reply 9
Original post by Ohemajai
Greed at its finest lol sorry but snooze u lose.

What are you talking about?
Original post by username5475400

hi , i've applied to do nursing this year and was wondering how and when you apply for the learning support funding and student finance.
Reply 11
Original post by zoecbrown
hi , i've applied to do nursing this year and was wondering how and when you apply for the learning support funding and student finance.

Hi, that’s great to hear!
You’ll be able to apply here:

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund

Once you are a confirmed student at your university i believe :smile: I’m sure your university will give you information on this once you have a place there!

Regarding student finance you should be applying for this here:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance

You should also be able start the application now and finish it once you have a confirmed place at university!

Hope this helps, good luck!
Original post by Lpt17
Hi, that’s great to hear!
You’ll be able to apply here:

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund

Once you are a confirmed student at your university i believe :smile: I’m sure your university will give you information on this once you have a place there!

Regarding student finance you should be applying for this here:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance

You should also be able start the application now and finish it once you have a confirmed place at university!

Hope this helps, good luck!

thank you
Hi everyone,

I noticed on the LSF website that it says you need to be eligible for a student loan, but then in a document I read it says you must be in receipt of one.

Does anyone know which it is? I am paying for my tuition with a personal loan from a family member, but will still need assistance with living costs. Just don’t want to do it through SFE as I already have a big loan from them from my first degree and want to avoid the interest.

Thanks!
Reply 14
Original post by Abby0208
Hi everyone,

I noticed on the LSF website that it says you need to be eligible for a student loan, but then in a document I read it says you must be in receipt of one.

Does anyone know which it is? I am paying for my tuition with a personal loan from a family member, but will still need assistance with living costs. Just don’t want to do it through SFE as I already have a big loan from them from my first degree and want to avoid the interest.

Thanks!

I'm also looking for information regarding this, I do not want to take the student finance loan as I have gotten a personal loan which I won't have to pay interest on. It seems to be eligible for the LSF you must have your eligible degree financed through The SF but there will be an exception based on additional requested documents. Wondering if anyone who has gone through this is willing to share their experience.
Are the LSF payments on time or early or late? My first one was 2/3 weeks early and don’t know when to expect my next one
Hello,I got approved or the LSF but I have seen on the LSF website that if you commence your course in September or October, you won’t get the money until November. I just wanted to know if this is true? Also I wanted to know what you considered (2 weeks early) as I’m so confused why they would pay students three months after their course starts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending