The Student Room Group

Why is university accommodation so expensive?

I am quite disappointed to be not able to stay in university accommodation this year. I just simply do not want the debt and would rather use my grant to pay for my tuition fees. £3,000 or more a year is just too expensive.

With my M.E this year I was hoping to be able to stay on campus to avoid long travel, but it seems there's little help to pay for accommodation so that's a no brainer.

Why does the government not help out more for families who can't afford the extra cost?
Reply 1
I'm saving £300 this year in a 5 bedroomed house than when I had my ****ty room in halls. University accommodation is a ****ing rip-off.
Reply 2
Because students are revenue streams.

They've got to make up the loss they're taking from not being able to hold conferences in term times, obviously.
It seems very unfair doesnt it...
I'm going to really struggle to afford to get by this year because of the cost of the halls.
At the end of the day though I can see why they have to charge quite a bit, as there are lots of people involved in organising the accomodation services, cleaning etc and the like. I spose they all need to get paid somehow!
readjono
Why does the government not help out more for families who can't afford the extra cost?

Because many members of the Government are unfamiliar with the state of university education. Encouraging so many students to go and not provide them with help is typical of the Government. These days it is expected that people have a part time job whilst at university to help make ends meet. This was not the case when Blair, Cameron and co went to university themselves.
Reply 5
£3000 really isnt a lot with bills included. probably the cheapest you're gonna get in your lifetime
Reply 6
mdhey89
I'm saving £300 this year in a 5 bedroomed house than when I had my ****ty room in halls. University accommodation is a ****ing rip-off.

Does that include cleaners for communal areas? Or the TV licence for the common room/living room?

:clip:
Reply 7
Because it's just so much easier for you, you don't have to worry about anything really...
Reply 8
its not really... if you think of the convenience of living close to uni/with people your age and in the same situation, without having to worry about gas, electric, council tax, agents fees...
The real world is more expensive :yes:
Are you joking? In university halls, I had all my meals made, showers cleaned, no bills, and good banter for exactly my student loan (4.9k) This year I have no bills, no meals, no cleaning but just as good banter for 6.2k.
You do realise that when you consider most private rents are 12 month contracts, and will add up to more per week once you add in bills? Uni accommodation is usually cheaper in the end, as you usually don't have to pay bills etc.

The government generally do give help, its just you decided to turn it down, and use the grant to pay for your tuition fees.
HAHAHAHAHA

Are you freaking kidding me!?!?!?!

Right now I rent a two bedroom masionette with my boyfriend it costs us £450 basic rent, and on top of that about £350 worth of bills/taxes so ends up at £800 a month...so around £400 each and you have to do all of the administration work yourself, furnish it, and it fluctuates occasionally so you can't budget to the penny.

When I go to Uni my rent will be £106 PW which is the same roughly per month as it is now, with NONE of the admin worries, fluctuations, insurance costs!

It's soooooooooooooooo much easier that actually renting a place. Inclusive rent + half decent furniture YES FRICKING PLEASE.

Next year I'm renting a Studio Apt. Inclusive rent of £99/£132 (haven't decided which type i want yet) per week.
Reply 12
readjono
I am quite disappointed to be not able to stay in university accommodation this year. I just simply do not want the debt and would rather use my grant to pay for my tuition fees. £3,000 or more a year is just too expensive.

With my M.E this year I was hoping to be able to stay on campus to avoid long travel, but it seems there's little help to pay for accommodation so that's a no brainer.

Are you saying you can't afford the on-campus accommodation because you don't want to take out a tuition or maintenance loan with the SLC (so you're only getting the grant)?
Reply 13
readjono

They do, it's called a grant. If you choose not to take out the loans then that's really your choice.

I'd rather be in debt because of student loans, than be in debt in the future with real loans and credit cards. I personally don't even consider it to be a debt because it's helping you to get forward in your life and is just taken out by tax coding. I know when I leave uni if I don't have a job instantly I don't have to worry about paying it back!
I think whatever way you do it- on campus or off, it works out at the same price roughly. Whilst its expensive and you can get in debt, it does teach you how to budget and I think its worthwhile.

I agree, the government does do its best to help. My mum struggles with what she earns and now I'm better off than she is due to students loans and grants. Plus you can be eligable for a bursary from the uni if you exceed their expectations with grades. I get that.

The thing is, that the gov. also wastes a lot, and also pays people a lot of benefits.

Latest

Trending

Trending