The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

I got offered accommodation and do not like it

I got offered accommodation at Old Aberdere Hall at Cardiff University - part self catered. I do not know what to do as I have seen Google reviews saying the building has a damp problem and the ceiling is apparently caving in. Its also an all girls accommodation which I am fine with but I hear the social life isn’t great as its a small block of accommodation.

Its also shared bathroom which I do not want as I am a neat freak and cannot share a bathroom.

I prefer to self cater as well so don’t know why they gave me this.
Original post by Anonymous
I got offered accommodation at Old Aberdere Hall at Cardiff University - part self catered. I do not know what to do as I have seen Google reviews saying the building has a damp problem and the ceiling is apparently caving in. Its also an all girls accommodation which I am fine with but I hear the social life isn’t great as its a small block of accommodation.

Its also shared bathroom which I do not want as I am a neat freak and cannot share a bathroom.

They offered you this accommodation simply because they can't meet the individual requirements of every student, so some students end up accomodation which isn't really what they wanted.

You have a few options.
1. Accept it anyway, imperfect though it is.
2. See if the university provides a mechanism to swap with another student (perhaps one who is in a mixed gender setting and would prefer single gender).
3. Look for non-university accomodation.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
You will need to 'suck it up' for 2 weeks then see your accommodation officer and ask to be put on the waiting list for a swap. They can't do anything now.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there

I'm sorry that you are not happy with your accommodation allocation. You do have a few options, such as finding accommodation through private accommodation providers (which may work out more expensive), moving in and seeing how it goes, or contacting the university immediately requesting to switch. They will always do their best to meet each student's needs but it's not always possible.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending