The Student Room Group

should I book 2nd year accommodation?

For 2nd year, I have been asked by someone if I'd like to move into halls with them next year (not the current halls I am staying at), and the booking for these halls open in a few weeks. The problem is I don't know whether I want to stay at my current university (multiple reasons why) and I don't really want to commit to staying in halls if I decide to leave. I don't really have any friends so I can't really move in with anyone else but I don't particularly want to stay in halls because I hate my time there.
Should I book halls or wait to see whether I want to quit/transfer universities but probably miss out on potentially staying with someone I know?
Original post by Anonymous
For 2nd year, I have been asked by someone if I'd like to move into halls with them next year (not the current halls I am staying at), and the booking for these halls open in a few weeks. The problem is I don't know whether I want to stay at my current university (multiple reasons why) and I don't really want to commit to staying in halls if I decide to leave. I don't really have any friends so I can't really move in with anyone else but I don't particularly want to stay in halls because I hate my time there.
Should I book halls or wait to see whether I want to quit/transfer universities but probably miss out on potentially staying with someone I know?

Seems like you're in a bit of a pickle... I see a few problems with your situation:
1. If you book the halls and then you decide to leave, then you might be putting this other person in a tough spot in terms of his accommodation next year.
2. If you don't book the halls and then you decide to stay, you'll be booking your accommodation later and so you won't have as many options and it'll be more expensive
3. You say you don't like halls, which is understandable, but have you checked how much it would be to rent a place on your own? You will probably find that it is prohibitively expensive (unless your family is extremely well off) and so you already have little choice but to live in halls or find a private place and rent with multiple people.
4. If you book the halls, you will be liable for the rent unless a replacement tenant can be found.

There are disadvantages to whatever you decide... but I think that you'll be putting yourself in a very uncomfortable position if you end up booking halls and then decide not to return to your university, so your priority should be to sort out what you'll be doing next academic year now and then plan accordingly to what you decide.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hey there , sorry to hear your university experience hasn't been what you expected. I hope you have had the chance to air some of your grievances to your course representatives . At my university I am one and with cases like yours I always raise them at our meetings so the university can do better in the future and it seems like your institution needs that feedback .
Back to your actual issue at hand , I would say don't feel pressurised to book student halls if that's not what you want. An entire year in a situation you don't want to be in is a long commitment , I suggest maybe you make a decision on whether or not you even want to stay at the school as there might be a financial implication if you try to cancel your halls at a later stage.
Ultimately you need to do your research about moving to university and right now is probably the best time to start looking because open days have started for the New year and it is application season.
I wish you all the best and again I'm so sorry about your awful experience .

Cece
Energy Engineering Student
De Montfort University
Hi OP,

I'm sorry that you're in such a confusing situation! I completely agree with the other replies - I wouldn't focus too much on booking halls for next year, especially if you aren't sure if you're going to return to your current university. That way, if you don't return, you're not tied down to anything, and even if you do return and potentially miss out on staying with someone you know, it might push you to try and make new connections. Although your choices will be admittedly be a bit more limited, you should hopefully be able to find a house share relatively last minute with a group who have a spare room going.

As Scotland Yard pointed out, I think it's important to establish what your plans for next year are as soon as possible. If you choose to move university, you'll still need to find accommodation there - and if you don't like halls, you need to decide if you want to rent privately, stay in a house share or find a hall that suits any specific requirements you have. Either way, it's a tough situation, and I hope you manage to figure it out soon.

Eve (Kingston Rep).
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending