The Student Room Group

HSBC Job Simulation 2021

Scroll to see replies

I applied also for AM graduate program last week and made the JS. But I wonder how many places remain ... There is no real questions about strengths and weaknesses, there is only one about it but it's for the introduction and it's not counted. The JS is like the 3 steps in a project and you have to say your opinion about the different situations with numerical data to interpret. There is no real competency to have apart from having the ability to speak on webcam and knowing how to react quickly to situations.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by Mathildr
I applied also for AM graduate program last week and made the JS. But I wonder how many places remain ... There is no real questions about strengths and weaknesses, there is only one about it but it's for the introduction and it's not counted. The JS is like the 3 steps in a project and you have to say your opinion about the different situations with numerical data to interpret. There is no real competency to have apart from having the ability to speak on webcam and knowing how to react quickly to situations.

HR informed me that they are recruiting on a rolling basis, so there very well probably aren't even any places left.

Edit: Just did my JS today (AM sales). If anyone wants any info feel free to dm me.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 82
Hey guys,
Reading from the thread I realised a lot of you may be confused on how the online assessments and moving onto the next stage works. After doing the online assessment, you are ranked. If the ranking is to a satisfactory level, then you will immediately be put onto the next stage. If they are not satisfied they usually wait and see if any more people can perform better and let them through instead. I've got this information from a person I know who currently works there, so i though I would share it and ease your thoughts to some of you here.
I've applied for the technology role back in October and they put me through onto the online assessment immediately (giving me 5 days to do it). However, I didn't end up doing the assessment (because I completely forgot LOL). But I literally got an email last week (8 WEEKS LATER!!!) saying even though I passed the deadline they will still accept my application if I do the assessment. So I made sure I did it this time and within 2 days they've invited me onto the next stage. I'm about to do the JS stage now.
But you can see that not a lot of people have met HSBC's expectations in terms of the results they've received. Which is why they're not making quick decisions and urging more people to apply so they can have better applicants. Hope this helps and MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.
Original post by M98_
Hey guys,
Reading from the thread I realised a lot of you may be confused on how the online assessments and moving onto the next stage works. After doing the online assessment, you are ranked. If the ranking is to a satisfactory level, then you will immediately be put onto the next stage. If they are not satisfied they usually wait and see if any more people can perform better and let them through instead. I've got this information from a person I know who currently works there, so i though I would share it and ease your thoughts to some of you here.
I've applied for the technology role back in October and they put me through onto the online assessment immediately (giving me 5 days to do it). However, I didn't end up doing the assessment (because I completely forgot LOL). But I literally got an email last week (8 WEEKS LATER!!!) saying even though I passed the deadline they will still accept my application if I do the assessment. So I made sure I did it this time and within 2 days they've invited me onto the next stage. I'm about to do the JS stage now.
But you can see that not a lot of people have met HSBC's expectations in terms of the results they've received. Which is why they're not making quick decisions and urging more people to apply so they can have better applicants. Hope this helps and MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.

Hi, is the same for the Job Simulation? As a lot of people I know, including me, did our JS back in October but haven’t heard anything since?
Reply 84
Original post by simran129
Hi, is the same for the Job Simulation? As a lot of people I know, including me, did our JS back in October but haven’t heard anything since?

Yes. I know a few people that did well on this stage and moved onto the AC within the same week. So it's a matter of, will they have more new applicants who perform better than the results they currently have. If I were you I suggest you look at other places as well instead of grasping onto a single company. I say this simply because if you haven't heard anything since October there is a high chance that they are still looking to see if new applicants can score better results.
Original post by M98_
Yes. I know a few people that did well on this stage and moved onto the AC within the same week. So it's a matter of, will they have more new applicants who perform better than the results they currently have. If I were you I suggest you look at other places as well instead of grasping onto a single company. I say this simply because if you haven't heard anything since October there is a high chance that they are still looking to see if new applicants can score better results.

😳😳
Well I suppose no news is good news for now then
Hey guys, I applied to the Technology Graduate role just recently (start of Jan prior to deadline).

I completed the first stage of assessments (Online Immersive Assessments) and have been recently told I am through to do the Job Simulator next.

Just wondering how the Job Simulator is, specifically for the Technology role? Are there any things that would help to prepare for or know e.g. about technology trends or is all information self-contained within the JS?

Any other advice would be appreciated and would love to connect with others in a similar stage as well :smile:
Reply 87
Hey guys, I just finished the JS a few days ago and thought I‘d share some insights.
First there is a practice test you have to complete before moving into the real thing.
In the actual test I was supposed to answer video Q’s on my personal strengths and benefits for HSBC, how I would approach colleagues in a new environment etc. There were 4 video Q’s, an email response in which I had to analyse data and draw conclusions and a few ranking questions similar to the Immersive assessment but related tonten business line you’ve applied in.
There weren’t any numerical Q’s. Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 88
Are assessment centres even still happening? I would've thought all the roles were filled by now.
Original post by nn1202
Hey guys, I just finished the JS a few days ago and thought I‘d share some insights.
First there is a practice test you have to complete before moving into the real thing.
In the actual test I was supposed to answer video Q’s on my personal strengths and benefits for HSBC, how I would approach colleagues in a new environment etc. There were 4 video Q’s, an email response in which I had to analyse data and draw conclusions and a few ranking questions similar to the Immersive assessment but related tonten business line you’ve applied in.
There weren’t any numerical Q’s. Hope this helps! :smile:

That is very helpful, thanks for the info!

So it seems like this is more focused on situational based questions and more personalised ones relating to why I personally am good for the role.

You said there weren't any numerical questions, surely the email response and data analysis will require this to some extent? And how is the email question formatted? Do you have to actually type in an email or just pick the most suitable response?

Lastly, once you start the JS, is there a time limit or can you save progress and get back to it? Especially for the video questions, do you get time to prepare for them?
Original post by Drejer
Are assessment centres even still happening? I would've thought all the roles were filled by now.

I hope are! Although I was thinking the same thing, it does seem a bit late in the recruitment window but since the roles were open till 5th Jan, I am hoping they hadn't filled the roles yet and hopefully ACs should still be happening.
Reply 91
Original post by the_martian13
That is very helpful, thanks for the info!

So it seems like this is more focused on situational based questions and more personalised ones relating to why I personally am good for the role.

You said there weren't any numerical questions, surely the email response and data analysis will require this to some extent? And how is the email question formatted? Do you have to actually type in an email or just pick the most suitable response?

Lastly, once you start the JS, is there a time limit or can you save progress and get back to it? Especially for the video questions, do you get time to prepare for them?

So you have to type an actual email response up to 3000 characters I think.
You are given some data and written information which you have to analyse and draw an appropriate conclusion from.
Apart from the video responses there aren’t any time limits. You always get some time to prepare your answer for the video part, depending on the question you‘ll be given 2-4 minutes time to prepare.

I also found this, it’s not completely up to date but could surely help! https://gradinsight.co.uk/hsbc-online-job-simulation/
Original post by nn1202
You are given some data and written information which you have to analyse and draw an appropriate conclusion from.
Apart from the video responses there aren’t any time limits. You always get some time to prepare your answer for the video part, depending on the question you‘ll be given 2-4 minutes time to prepare.

I also found this, it’s not completely up to date but could surely help! https://gradinsight.co.uk/hsbc-online-job-simulati

Right so seems like its not a hugely time-sensitive thing then. 3000 characters shouldn't be too bad!

For the video responses, are they:
- Just generic 'tell me about yourself', 'why this role', 'strenghts/ weaknesses' etc
- Or responses specific to the data/ scenario in the JS
- Or industry-related questions such as describe a current technology trend etc.?

The link you provided is actually very useful, and does seem to cover some of the topics I mention above, but wanted to see if you experienced the same!

Also, if you have received a response already, how long did they take to do so?
Original post by nn1202

I also found this, it’s not completely up to date but could surely help! https://gradinsight.co.uk/hsbc-online-job-simulati

Right so seems like its not a hugely time-sensitive thing then. 3000 characters shouldn't be too bad!

For the video responses, are they:
- Just generic 'tell me about yourself', 'why this role', 'strengths/ weaknesses' etc
- Or responses specific to the data/ scenario in the JS
- Or industry-related questions such as describe a current technology trend etc.?

The link you provided is actually very useful, and does seem to cover some of the topics I mentioned above but wanted to see if you experienced the same!

Also, if you have received a response already, how long did they take to do so?
Hi, I also applied for the Technology Graduate role and I'm due to do the Job Simulator soon! I was just wondering if you have done yours and how was it?
Reply 95
Original post by M98_
Hey guys,

I also applied for the technology role, how was your job simulation, could you give me advice on what to expect ?
Thank you
Wanted to update this thread because I honestly relied on forums like this so much for the whole nerve-wracking application process...the job simulations will be different depending on which sector you apply to so I can only speak for Commercial Banking in HSBC. Did it a pretty long time ago (around November 2020) and it's a series of short questions about a fictional factory in China. There's a task requiring you to write an email to well, simulate the job itself, where you need to communicate to the company as to why their cheques are getting bounced. Something like that. Strongly recommend to look up on how to build relationships with people. Simple question with no right or wrong answers, but that really took me off guard because I wasn't expecting it at all. I don't really remember the rest, but a lot of it has to deal with how you interact with clients. Honestly, if you've worked in a retail role before where customer satisfaction is a #1 priority, you're in good hands. Remember in commercial banking, you're still dealing with people. Part-time student jobs really come in handy, so there's definitely a bonus if you've worked in retail/F&B during uni! There are no technical questions so don't worry too much about trying to work out profit or whatever, it's strongly personality-based so just be yourself and say whatever comes to your mind because you're only given a few seconds to formulate a response. Hopefully this helps whoever is applying for the schemes because I was scouring the Internet for a response like this and couldn't come across any.
I've just been invited for the AC for commercial banking, anyone else?
Original post by eggfried123
I've just been invited for the AC for commercial banking, anyone else?

Congratulations!
How long did you wait for a response from doing your JS?
Original post by simran129
Congratulations!
How long did you wait for a response from doing your JS?

I did my application in September and JS in November

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending