The Student Room Group

Why Britain struggles with immigrants and America doesn't

OK, I lied. Both Britain and America struggle with immigrants. Some immigrants, that is. Those who are more likely to steer towards criminal behaviour because of low intelligence, learning and communication difficulties or their position in a broken family.

And yet Britain struggles more as does every European country. You know why? European countries are racist, inbred, careless, rude, uptight and that's the way they've always been. America was built on the foundation of multi-culturalism.

From its outset it was not one people and although European settlers from the different countries viciously battled they also made peace and there became hope. Say what you will about America but I love the place.

For all its faults it is the future of this world, it is the only place that can integrate anyone, there are so many places there, from the plains of Tennesee to the steel and glass canyons of New York City. If you live in America there is far less racism than anywhere else in the world.

Each European people has its strengths and weaknesses. The Germans are engineering geniuses and technically unparalled musicians. The French are style connoiseurs and know hospitality like the back of their hands. The Greeks harbour and continue to hold dear to their hearts impossibly wise old knowledge and traditions. The Dutch are delightful and romantic. And yet each has its blind spots, its Achilles heal.

America doesn't. America is a watercolour painting that you just can't pinpoint. If you don't like it you're just not seeing it for what it really is. America loves you and someday you will love it even if you don't know now. Together we stand and divided we fall and in America we're all together in no man's land. Sure, there's crime, there's inequality and yet the prizes are so rich there, and the hearts so true, and the mouths so open and dear and the minds so independent and free that all that happens there is simply the dilemmas of existence being played out to their maximum potential.

See, if I was talking about Britain now, like any European country I'd be putting it down. Because all European countries really do blow. That's why immigrants cause a big headache in Europe. Europeans are rude, narrow-minded and tunnel visioned.

In Britain if you feel passionate emotions, if you want to experience life more broadly than engaging in jokes and laughter then you get spat (speaking allegorically) like a leper 'cause British people don't have feelings, officially speaking. In France you can be open about your feelings as you like and it's normal and yet, and yet you can't be funny because the French don't have a great appreciation of irony and are a little too self-important. America somehow has the right blend of all the elements, ya know? Even the drunkards over there speak more sense than ours!

In America you will fulfill your entire potential. I can't wait to move there once I'm qualified to get a good job over there.

Thanks for reading, bless ya, and debate about it if ya like.
OK, I lied. Both Britain and America struggle with immigrants. Some immigrants, that is. Those who are more likely to steer towards criminal behaviour because of low intelligence, learning and communication difficulties or their position in a broken family.

Actually, it's a media playup. The statistics show that immigrants make up a tiny portion of the population, and I mean minute.
Immigrants all suffer with low intelligence? How discriminative can you be? Can I have some evidence to back that up please, because I recently worked in a lab for 6 weeks with a girl who was studying her phd, and was fresh over from Poland.

You've really bought the american dream, huh. Read the story recently about Obama's brother who lives on a few dollars a month? In america, you can be eaten up just as easily as you can in Britain. Easier, in fact, becuase america allows on the spot firing whereas in Britain you can claim unfair dismissal and fight for compensation and your job back.

All the best for your new life in america, but please expell these sterotypes and biases before going there. They have guns, y'know :smile:
Reply 2
So you don't even live there yet you've already decided it's the most brilliant place on the earth?
Reply 3
A lot of Americans are also narrow-minded and tunnel visioned. The majority of republican voters fit into this category.

Quite simply, America doesn't suffer with the same problems because a) its geographical location. - It's harder for the same groups of people who move to european countries to get across the atlantic.

and b) It has a clearly defined and incredibly strict immigration policy.

Also - Don't pretend America doesn't have its problems with immigration. Ever heard of a country called Mexico?
Reply 4
Lampshade

Also - Don't pretend America doesn't have its problems with immigration. Ever heard of a country called Mexico?

Isn't that in the USA?

:p:
Reply 5
I used to think this way, the whole moving to America stuff. But you have to realize that you bring your attitude with you where ever you go, don't be a complainant, go there because you like the place and not because you want to run away from the UK, everywhere has pros and cons and you may be leaving a significant amount of family and friends here. Having said that i'm still going anyway :p:
Reply 6
It's hard to poke holes in your reasoning when you don't have any.
Britain today is going through immigration and racial strife that America went through decades ago. America also has the benefit of a clearly defined Constitution that severely hamstrings any attempt to implement racially- or religiously-motivated policy in the United States (facial veil bans would be unconstitutional, for example). Moreover, the average American tends to believe in and identify with the precepts of liberalism clearly set forth in the Constitution.

And America's ethnically diverse status also helps a bit, too. 36% of people in NYC and 27% of people in San Fransisco were born in another country. Other large metro areas have similar demographics. America has developed without much of an ingrained "American" racial makeup (although Anglo-Americans are probably the most prominent group), meaning that whatever "American culture" is, reactionaries cannot effectively attempt to preserve it along racial lines by excluding minority groups.

Lampshade

There is a lot of controversy over illegal immigration from Latin America, certainly, but not to anywhere near the same degree as there is over Islamic immigration in Europe. Our nearest equivalent to Nick Griffin is probably Tom Tancredo, and Tancredo doesn't have nearly the popular support to form his own political party (or even remain in office). And, presently, illegal immigration is not even an important issue in politics.
Reply 8
You are mistaken. The US was not built on a foundation of multi-culturalism. It was built by Western European (mainly English, Scottish and French) butchering Native Americans. A moron like you calls them Red Indians. Some of these people still exist and most live on reservations. In Canada the native people are called First Nation. Then these white settlers decided that the way to prosper was to grow sugar cane and cotton. But they had killed so many natives. So they went to the what was called the Slave Coast of West Africa and bought Negro Slaves. Negro is not a racist term btw in this context. The Slave Coast equates to modern day coastal Togo, Benin and Nigeria up to the Niger Delta.
You seem to believe that the US is some kind of multiracial perfect rainbow nation. This really really annoys me. The US has levels of racial/ethnic segratation that are incredible. East LA is 98% Hispanic. Detroit is now anout 84% black. New Orleans was 67% black when Katrina struck it. Yet the suburbs and exburbs were well over 90% white. You need to read the wikipedia article on "White Flight".
Finally you say that "European countries are racist, inbred, careless, rude, uptight". I think that is pretty racist myself. There is a difference in culture between different ethnic groups but so what. That is the beauty of humanity. You just have to accept that say Garmanic people which includes Anglos (English) are a bit cold compared to say Greeks or Arabs. But they also have loads of good qualities as well. The onus is on you to assimilate and fit in wherever you are. I say this as an Anglo-Hispanic Man.
Reply 9
a.posteriori
Britain today is going through immigration and racial strife that America went through decades ago. America also has the benefit of a clearly defined Constitution that severely hamstrings any attempt to implement racially- or religiously-motivated policy in the United States (facial veil bans would be unconstitutional, for example). Moreover, the average American tends to believe in and identify with the precepts of liberalism clearly set forth in the Constitution.

And America's ethnically diverse status also helps a bit, too. 36% of people in NYC and 27% of people in San Fransisco were born in another country. Other large metro areas have similar demographics. America has developed without much of an ingrained "American" racial makeup (although Anglo-Americans are probably the most prominent group), meaning that whatever "American culture" is, reactionaries cannot effectively attempt to preserve it along racial lines by excluding minority groups.

There is a lot of controversy over illegal immigration from Latin America, certainly, but not to anywhere near the same degree as there is over Islamic immigration in Europe. Our nearest equivalent to Nick Griffin is probably Tom Tancredo, and Tancredo doesn't have nearly the popular support to form his own political party (or even remain in office). And, presently, illegal immigration is not even an important issue in politics.

Illegal immigration seriously worries white America. 33 % said it was extremely worrisome. They need armed guards to man the border. The Republican and Democrat Party have been forced to take stringent measures. Theres no possibility of an American BNP, you're a two-party country. Honestly though I agree with you on some points. European Americans will be a minority in a couple decades. That isn't a possibility here! Americans are more voiceful of their opinions, everything is doomsday for them. In europe we're more passive. Those two world wars pretty much finished our desire for conflict. We have a long and illustrious history here in Europe. We invented measurements of time... 365 days in a year... small important things like that :wink:
Reply 10
P-R-I-N-C-E
European countries are racist, inbred, careless, rude, uptight and that's the way they've always been.

Europe is the best so GTFO

Latest

Trending

Trending