The Student Room Group

Aerospace engineering (foundation year)?

I am in my final year of btec applied science level 3 extended diploma. I got a 5 in gcse maths (foundation). Should I apply for aerospace engineering foundation year since I know that the maths in aerospace engineering is hard and many of those who apply for aerospace engineering either do A-Level Maths and maybe further maths.
Its going to be tough but go for it, if you are eligible. If you really want to do it, then nothing can stop you except yourself.
Original post by kayani002
Its going to be tough but go for it, if you are eligible. If you really want to do it, then nothing can stop you except yourself.

Thanks. What do you think of a move from btec science to law at university. I have thought of that too
Original post by Beastslayer_47
I am in my final year of btec applied science level 3 extended diploma. I got a 5 in gcse maths (foundation). Should I apply for aerospace engineering foundation year since I know that the maths in aerospace engineering is hard and many of those who apply for aerospace engineering either do A-Level Maths and maybe further maths.

Honestly I think you'll struggle.
Aerospace engineering requires an understanding of linear algebra, multivariable calculus, algebra, trig & some statistics.

The gulf between foundation maths GCSE & uni maths is giant. GCSE higher maths is pretty trivial compared to A-level maths, and first year uni maths will go beyond A-level further maths...
Reply 4
Any way to study a higher level GCSE then A level maths? That completely changes your preparedness and prospects.
Original post by Beastslayer_47
Thanks. What do you think of a move from btec science to law at university. I have thought of that too

I mean, there is a colossal difference between aerospace engineering and law, so make sure you know where you want to go.

In terms of law, I know that there are many Universities that accept btec applicants, so definitely something to consider
Original post by mnot
Honestly I think you'll struggle.
Aerospace engineering requires an understanding of linear algebra, multivariable calculus, algebra, trig & some statistics.

The gulf between foundation maths GCSE & uni maths is giant. GCSE higher maths is pretty trivial compared to A-level maths, and first year uni maths will go beyond A-level further maths...

I'm in a similar situation, I got a 7 in GCSE Maths but didn't do A-Level Maths and want to go on to do Civil Engineering. Obviously id have to take a foundation year I just unsure about the step up but I guess that's what the foundation year is for.
I did do A-Level Physics and quite enjoyed it but dropped it after a month, not because I was struggling but me just not thinking and realising the importance of my decisions at the beginning of sixth form.
Thanks for any replies
Original post by JakeWalk
I'm in a similar situation, I got a 7 in GCSE Maths but didn't do A-Level Maths and want to go on to do Civil Engineering. Obviously id have to take a foundation year I just unsure about the step up but I guess that's what the foundation year is for.
I did do A-Level Physics and quite enjoyed it but dropped it after a month, not because I was struggling but me just not thinking and realising the importance of my decisions at the beginning of sixth form.
Thanks for any replies

A 7 puts you in a better spot its competent but not super strong id say. I dont know if thats good enough but civil engineering is less mathematically intensive then aerospace. If you get offers and wish to enrol then I dont see why not.

Just make sure you really work on the maths on the foundation course as without A-level maths you'll be missing a solid chunk of competency in some key areas like calculus as people who enrol on the degree will be expected to understand.
Original post by mnot
A 7 puts you in a better spot its competent but not super strong id say. I dont know if thats good enough but civil engineering is less mathematically intensive then aerospace. If you get offers and wish to enrol then I dont see why not.

Just make sure you really work on the maths on the foundation course as without A-level maths you'll be missing a solid chunk of competency in some key areas like calculus as people who enrol on the degree will be expected to understand.

Yeah, thanks for the reply.
I just didnt want to spend 9 grand on a foundation year and realise I weren't capable of completing.
So as long as i work hard enough i should be alright? Thanks again
Yeah, thanks for the reply.
I just didnt want to spend 9 grand on a foundation year and realise I weren't capable of completing.
So as long as i work hard enough i should be alright? Thanks again

Well honestly I cant say, but you can check the drop out rate using university comparison sites for the courses you apply to. If they admit you they should have confidence in your ability to complete it to the required standard.
Original post by mnot
Well honestly I cant say, but you can check the drop out rate using university comparison sites for the courses you apply to. If they admit you they should have confidence in your ability to complete it to the required standard.

Thanks for your help, do you know what the best unis would be that offer a foundation year for civil engineering
Thanks for your help, do you know what the best unis would be that offer a foundation year for civil engineering

I dont know the best foundation courses specifically.
I know much more detail on mechanical/aerospace/automotive engineering. Thats really my area.

Hi there!
Great to hear that you are interested in civil engineering :smile:
My name is Anna and I study Civil eng at Surrey. I'm in my third year (placement year).
Uni of Surrey offers foundation course for civil engineering which maybe of interest to you. I'll post a link to get more info

https://www.surrey.ac.uk/foundation-courses
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/civil-engineering

If you have any questions about how I am finding the course, student life, Surrey uni, accomodation, etc feel free to ask :smile:
Will be happy to help!

All the best
Anna Civil Eng
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there!
Great to hear that you are interested in civil engineering :smile:
My name is Anna and I study Civil eng at Surrey. I'm in my third year (placement year).
Uni of Surrey offers foundation course for civil engineering which maybe of interest to you. I'll post a link to get more info

https://www.surrey.ac.uk/foundation-courses
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/civil-engineering

If you have any questions about how I am finding the course, student life, Surrey uni, accomodation, etc feel free to ask :smile:
Will be happy to help!

All the best
Anna Civil Eng

Hi, i have questions about which unis i should apply for for aerospace engineering with a foundation year. And whether i would have to do an interview and the likeliood of being accepted.

I am currently in year 13 and study A Level Psychology, Biology and Chemistry with predicted grades A*BB

I have GCSE Maths at grade 7 and combined science at 88. I have three grade 6's and two grade 5's.

Which unis should i apply to to be guaranteed a place without a interview and other i should apply to?

Quick Reply

Latest