The Student Room Group

Want to change uni's after finishing foundation course. Need help

I applied to my universities via UCAS but got declined from city to do aerospace engineering with foundation year. So I am going to be doing a foundation course at university of Hertfordshire for engineering with foundation year (However this will be held at Oaklands college). After I have finished this foundation course I am hoping to be allowed to reapply to UCAS for a placement at city university to get into their aerospace degree.

I need advice if this is even allowed and what the implications of this may be.
Original post by Paul Eracleous
I applied to my universities via UCAS but got declined from city to do aerospace engineering with foundation year. So I am going to be doing a foundation course at university of Hertfordshire for engineering with foundation year (However this will be held at Oaklands college). After I have finished this foundation course I am hoping to be allowed to reapply to UCAS for a placement at city university to get into their aerospace degree.

I need advice if this is even allowed and what the implications of this may be.

Generally speaking, a foundation year taken at one university is not a "currency" you can use to enter a degree programme at another university. It's value is restricted to the university at which it was taken. This is because a foundation year is not a qualification in its own right, and does not earn you any UCAS points.

Was your application to City (for which they didn't make an offer) based upon predicted grades? If so, then you might find that an application next year is successful, given that you will have actual grades by that point. (It would obviously help if your actual results exceed your predicted results!) However, it's unlikely that the foundation year from Hertfordshire would make any difference to them, one way or the other.
Original post by DataVenia
Generally speaking, a foundation year taken at one university is not a "currency" you can use to enter a degree programme at another university. It's value is restricted to the university at which it was taken. This is because a foundation year is not a qualification in its own right, and does not earn you any UCAS points.
Was your application to City (for which they didn't make an offer) based upon predicted grades? If so, then you might find that an application next year is successful, given that you will have actual grades by that point. (It would obviously help if your actual results exceed your predicted results!) However, it's unlikely that the foundation year from Hertfordshire would make any difference to them, one way or the other.
The application was sent using my predicted results however my predicted is C Distinction Merit and I believe I would only be able to get a C Distinction Distinction which I doubt will make city give me an offer if I was to apply to UCAS again.
Ask City now whether they’ll even consider that FY for direct entry.
Original post by Admit-One
Ask City now whether they’ll even consider that FY for direct entry.
I have, they have sent a no-reply email saying they plan to get back to enquiries within 5 working days.
Original post by Paul Eracleous
I have, they have sent a no-reply email saying they plan to get back to enquiries within 5 working days.

OK. It seems that we'll all have to wait for five days then. :smile:
Original post by DataVenia
OK. It seems that we'll all have to wait for five days then. :smile:
seems so, reason I want to change to city if you're wondering boils down to transport costs, to get to herts I'll have to pay £35 to get to city it's about £16 (Keep in mind this is 5 days a week). I could work on getting a drivers license but cost of petrol in the UK is sky high not to mention I'll have to drive on the M25 which means more fuel consumption due to increased speed.

Quick Reply

Latest