The Student Room Group

housemates boyfriend has a key to our house

Hi, I have no idea where we stand on this so I was wondering whether anyone could help. Basically I'm in 2nd year of uni and living in a house with 5 other girls. We recently found out that one of the girl's boyfriends has a key to our house (she went and got hers cut and gave one to him) is this allowed? we're all kinda umcomfortable with the idea that he can come and go as he pleases and he also shouldn't even need one since she'll always be here when he is.
Yeah not on that she did it without asking, and I'd also check the terms of your contract too as it's probably not permitted if he isn't a tenant. He's not going to be there when she isn't, and even if he stayed over and she left early for a lecture etc surely he's able to let himself out without a key anyway?
Original post by Articultr
Hi, I have no idea where we stand on this so I was wondering whether anyone could help. Basically I'm in 2nd year of uni and living in a house with 5 other girls. We recently found out that one of the girl's boyfriends has a key to our house (she went and got hers cut and gave one to him) is this allowed? we're all kinda umcomfortable with the idea that he can come and go as he pleases and he also shouldn't even need one since she'll always be here when he is.

Almost certainly not allowed. Otherwise you could return all the original keys to the landlord at the end of the year and there's still one out in the wild. It may even invalidate any contents insurance.

Super, super not cool.
Absolutely not. What's to stop him getting more copies made and passing them on to other people? It won't look good to the police or your landlord when they find out one of the tenants has been getting extra keys cut for someone who doesn't even live there. No one should be staying over so much that they need a key themselves anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending